Prototyping and Game Engine Choice

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by The You in Us, Nov 24, 2016.

1. The You in Us

The You in Us New Member

Hello!

We're new to this forum, but I didn't really see a welcome thread, so I will simply begin by stating our first major problem.

We've designed enough of our object hierarchy that we feel safe beginning our prototype for the combat system. Our group's current background is in computer programming however, so as a result, we have a severe lack of knowledge when it comes to specifically game development.

So first:

What information is useful to consider about our game when choosing an engine?
    What can we use to compare different engines?

And when we actually get to prototyping:

Should we partition logical sections of the game into engines that might be easier to build in for logical testing purposes, then combine them in one game engine later?

For instance, one portion of our game might be easy to make in Ren'py because it plays largely like a visual novel. However, the combat system might be easier to test in Game Maker or Unity because that offers more functionality.

Is there any version control software supported by specific engines? Or should we just use Github or other popular software for sharing scripts?

Finally, is there anything else we should be considering before breaking ground I didn't cover before?

Cheers,

Reed

2. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

To consider : graphic /animation needs and logic needs. I don't know about Ren'py and how far you can go with it but if you can script with it then it's worth a try. I work with GameMaker and it's simple and powerful enough to support all kind of 2D projects. You won't have as much "ready made" stuffs like Ren'py but things like animations and collisions are handled efficiently for you.

My advice is don't wait. If you've got a decent plan, even incomplete, get your hands dirty and build a prototype with either tool you've spotted. You'll learn soon enough if it works for you or not.

The You in Us likes this.
  3. The You in Us

The You in Us New Member

Alright, we're beginning the game in Unity, as it seems to be a powerful engine that supports all of the things we need--specifically, we realized for the 2.5D feeling we're going for, an engine that is natively 3D might be our best option. We're going to begin both sections in the same engine as it seems like combining them later will be less hassle, even if the creation process will take a bit longer.

Thank you for your input, with your advice in tow, it feels more natural to just get to work!

That said, are there any tips on Unity and version control? We see there's a built in bit of version control software, but it still seems to be in testing. Has anyone used it? Is it stable, for the most part? Or should we use another tool?

Cheers,

Reed