Project XSYS - WIP - Turn based sci-fi RPG.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by KevG, Mar 23, 2018.

1. KevG

KevG New Member

Hi,

I just joined these forums and I thought I would make a post about a game I've been working on part-time solo for the past few months.

THE GAME:

Project XSYS is an untitled #turnbased #rpg #4x #indiegame that features true 3D grid based combat and multi-character party adventuring.

Tactical Turn Based Combat
    The combat system was built to satisfy the itch of tactical turn based enthusiasts. In addition, I've worked hard to ensure that the combat grid is truly 3D. This means that characters can climb, fly, crawl, and jump over and under obstacles.
    [​IMG]
    (this gif is a few months old, but it showcases flying and two-click context menu)

The mechanics of the combat system is based on the concept that your character can try to do anything. For example, if you want to fight with two weapons, trip, guard, parry, or disarm you don't need a special skill to try it. There are no talent trees just proficiency levels.

Six Character Party
    The character creation system is extensive and is a multi-step process. Steps include selecting Class, Phenotype, Ability Scores, Interaction Skills, Combat Skills, Exploration Skills, Appearance, Personality, Backgrounds, etc. Like classic turn based games, the system allows you to create up to six robot / cyborg characters.
    [​IMG]
    (This screen is the most recent and it demos the random spawning system I wrote for the demo. Zombies are spawned at the start of each round)

[​IMG]
    (there will be at least 12 different robot phenotype that you can select from and customize)

Hex Crawling

World map hex crawling is a unique feature. It's up to the player to ensure his/her party is well prepared and provisioned for each journey. Like many 4X games,time controls allow the player to speed up, slow down, and pause the passage of time. As time passes, various events will occur such as combat encounters, interaction scenarios, inter-party personality conflicts, discoveries, etc.

The screenshot below is the most current view of the hex map. It is auto-generated by stitching smaller hand crafted Terrains together. It has yet to be decided if the game will use procedural hex maps or not. At the moment, I'm leaning towards a hand crafted map.
    [​IMG]
    (this is a randomly generated hex grid - this image is several months old. )

Thus far, I've spent many long nights coding the games numerous subsystems (true 3d grid pathfinding, database, event message system, animations, personality system, combat mechanics, inventory, character sheets, items, vendors, character creation, terrain based hex map, encounter/spawn system, survival mechanics, campaign events, etc). The game has truly become a labor of love over the past few months, and I'm quite happy with the code thus far, but of course it's not perfect... yet.

The game doesn't have a story yet and no real effort has been spent on content creation. It's mostly just programmer art. :) I have a ton of great ideas, but for the most part I've only had time to work on the game's framework. The good news is that I'm about a month or two away from completing a very basic playable demo that will show case the combat features.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy watching my game take shape. I really need all the feedback I can get as I have much to learn.

#1 KevG, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  2. KevG

KevG New Member

Please Wait, Demo / Prototype Loading....

At this point, I've created a short list of about 50 bug fixes and changes that need to be completed for the prototype / demo. Once that list is completed, I can then move on to tweaking game mechanics and completing the design of the demo level. The goal for this stage is to make a highly focused playable prototype that is reasonably fun.

The demo will be missing the exploration and interaction tiers of play, and it won't have a story or any of the 4x survival elements I have planned. Professional assets and animations will also be missing.
    To that end, I've made significant progress.

Over the last two weeks, I fixed a large number of issues and added a few new features.

Piggybacking in a TBRPG?
    My first round of testing revealed that my path-finding system allows you to piggyback on top of other creatures. I could work on this a bit more and make it into an actual feature, opening up unique solutions to combat encounters. Of course, I'll have to be sure that if the flying creature dies and falls to the ground so does everyone standing on top of him. Lastly, I might have to limit how many creatures can piggyback on top of each other. Should I allow all six characters to stand on each other's shoulders?
    Regardless, I'll be disabling this feature/bug for the demo.
    [​IMG]

Object Interaction / Realism
    One feature I'm going for is a high degree of object interaction. Characters can now spend action points to pick up and equip items directly from the ground. This might seem rather standard, but it was a ton of work to get it all functional. Over half a dozen different sub systems all have to talk to each other in some way or another.

This feature will also allow me to create disarm and fumble actions. In the case of a fumble, weapons can go flying in random directions and possibly hit other creatures (causing damage). Targeted disarm actions and explosions can do the same. In fact, I can't wait to program the AI to disarms you and tries to kill you with your own weapon. :)

[​IMG]

Content Pipeline
    Lastly, I'm now starting to build editor tools. One tool I created creates item icon assets directly from 3d objects. Unity's post processing effects (boom, grain, ambient occlusion, etc) work quite well for this purpose.
    [[​IMG]

3. Johansson

Johansson New Member