Project Management

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Quire, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Quire

Quire New Member

Hey Guys,

We're looking at Project Management software at the moment. It seems clear that JIRA and Confluence are probably overkill for us at present. There are only six of us thus far, spread across Yorkshire and London.

We've looked at things like Basecamp, Huddle, Proofhub, Manymoon. Nothing seems to do everything well.

Any small distributed teams got any experiences to share on this stuff?

Thanks,

- Mark Quire

2. Dogma

Dogma New Member

We are working with basecamp, and it fits our needs. You could add trac if you need more sophisticated bug tracking. But for a small team basecamp is a good fit. It is simple but you can use it in many different ways.

3. chanon

Indie Author

My dream project that I will do once I have some time is a good agile task/project management app.

Like you I've tried everything, but nothing really works the way I'd like to.

What we use these days is Google Docs. Just simple word style 'document' and list the tasks in there. The good thing is that it can do multi-user real-time editing.

Still not ideal for me, but gets the job done for now.

And BTW, we find Google Docs indispensable now for documenting everything. Really useful for small teams like us .. even when we're all in the same office so I imagine for distributed teams would be even more useful.

4. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

I've played around with 5PM but it didn't really stick for us. I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you want fairly basic PM.

Here is a list of about 90 programs - http://www.projectmanagesoft.com/software Some of these have a software development skew I think.

Basecamp gets kind of spendy but I hear good things on the usability side.

5. HairyTroll

Original Member

Emacs and org-mode.

I like org-mode very much.

6. andrew

andrew New Member

JIRA - ugh, EA uses it and it's a bloated nightmare. You lose 10% of your time just navigating the clunky interface. Also, all those charts and spring graphs are meaningless unless every single person updates it continually, in which event you now lose 25% of your time.

+1 for Google Docs, if you don't need real sophisticated bug tracking...

- andrew

7. Adrian Lopez

Original Member

I like Agilefant. Give it a try and see if it meets your needs.

8. Pomnico

Pomnico New Member

I'm using the ScrumWorks Basic at the moment. It has all I really need regarding project management side (no bug tracking inside). The software is aiding Scrum methodology (product planning, sprints, burndown charts for sprint and whole product) and the Basic version is completely free.

9. jamesm

jamesm New Member

Fogbugz is a great tool, you even get integrate mecurial hosting as well as a Visual Studio plugin and a custom TortoiseHG program:

http://www.fogcreek.com/fogbugz/

10. brianhay

Original Member

activeCollab

activeCollab is great. Latest version has subversion integration. To my eye there are some similarities to Trac + SVN but with a project management system that is easy enough for non-techies (i.e. many clients) to happily use.

Started life as a free, open-source, self-hosted clone of Basecamp. Still open-source but no longer free. Good value IMHO though.

11. Bad Sector

Original Member

I wrote this where i put everything and synced to my machines using Dropbox. Note that the windows build is a bit old and i've fixed some bugs and added a couple of new features since i made it. I'll make a new one once i can use my desktop again.

12. HairyTroll

Original Member

Then org-mode will blow your mind.

13. Bad Sector

Original Member

No it wont since i don't like Emacs :p

One tool. One job. :p

14. richardswann65

richardswann65 New Member

I like the BrightWork software it is an excellent web based collaborative software and allows users to perform different management functions related to portfolio, schedule, resources and documents.

15. Chris England

Chris England New Member

Excel, Word and MantisBT. Mantis is free and perfectly functional for bug tracking. Excel and Word are all you need for everything else, surely?

16. Quire

Quire New Member

Some excellent options to consider, here. Thanks all.

17. dantheman363

dantheman363 New Member

I use Mantis at work and I would recommend it as well.

18. zmitchell

zmitchell New Member