Product Pricing Primer

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by HairyTroll, Aug 21, 2004.

1. HairyTroll

Original Member

Here is a link to an article in MSDN that outlines a number of issues to consider when attempting to determine the price for a product.

Product Pricing Primer.

And for a laugh, take a look at the author, Erik Sink's website, Not a Legend.

2. jwthomp

Original Member

Ah the legacy of Mosaic..

Yay Champaign! It really is a great place to live. Corn fields, no commute, and all the resources of a large suburb in a smaller town.

I'm well aware of SourceGear but haven't actually met anyone from there yet. :( A few of my friends around town have though. Seems like a nice company.

3. MrPhil

Original Member

4. gmcbay

Indie Author

I'd be interested to know what his sales are like. I'd assume if he gets a significant amount it has to do with the popularity of his blog and the number of people reading it (the Joel on Software/Fog Creek effect). Particularly considering the Solitaire/card game niche doesn't seem like a big growth area for anyone to get into right now.

Also, I'm not sure about his secondary (beyond his blog) marketing plans which seem to be centered pretty exclusively on Tucows. My first game, Zany Blocks, got a 5 Cow rating there but I got very little noticable website or download traffic from that listing. (I got a lot more from free listings on gamextacy and gamealbum, and of course more from my "new" period at download.com).

5. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

Given Microsoft's ever increasing product prices that now often don't even provide a one time license fee (some products only give 3 or 4 year licenses) I was expecting their sales curve to be more like a flat horizontal line :D