Processing incoming mail with PHP

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Valen, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Valen

Indie Author

This may not be something that's done very often (unless you're writing an online mail system I guess) but I'm trying to figure out how to pipe an incoming email to a PHP script. I'm hosting with pair.com (they run freeBSD), and their control panel allows you to do this. The problem is, it doesn't work for me. :)

What I tried to do is pipe mail to a script which then uses php://stdin to try to grab the email. I found one article (seems to be plastered all over the web) that shows how to do this -- http://gvtulder.f2o.org/articles/incoming-mail/ From my observation, it seems that the script is never executed (either that or it can't grab the email). It's very strange because if I send an email, it doesn't bounce. But once I delete the script file from the server it instantly bounces.

Any *nix experts here who can help? :)

Here's the code (pretty much like in the article except I try to dump it to a file)

Code:
    <?php

$fd = fopen("php://stdin", "r");
    $email = "";
    while (!feof($fd)) {
        $email .= fread($fd, 1024);
    }
    fclose($fd);

$outfile = fopen("test.txt", "w");
    fwrite($outfile, $email);
    fclose($outfile);

?>

2. oNyx

Original Member

3. Sillysoft

Indie Author

I have never used PHP to read from stdin, however in other languages you can read from stdin forever without getting an EOF (unless the user types control-d or something). So my guess is that you are forever blocking in the 'while (!feof($fd))' loop. It is just a guess, you could test it by writing to a file within the loop (or something).

4. Valen

Indie Author

Neither of those seem to be a problem. I added code to send an email to me before the main code runs, and after. I get the emails when I run the script directly from a browser, but sending email to the script doesn't do anything. Looks like it's not being executed. What I don't get though is why. :confused: I'm not getting bounced emails, so it knows that the script is there but it's not executing. Maybe I'm missing some kind of setting somewhere.

5. Valen

Indie Author

[edit] After combing some PHP mailing lists, I figured out how to get it to work. In case anyone searches for this, my solution was to give qmail the script path like this:

/var/qmail/bin/preline /usr/local/bin/php /script_path/script.php

#5 Valen, Aug 8, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  6. Kai Backman

Original Member Indie Author IGF Finalist

Just to give a second solution. I simply have a script that uses Curl to post the email to a specific PHP page. For testing the page always returns a form where you can enter the email into a textbox and run the script again. As the previous mail is stored in the textbox this gives a faster turnaround (and enables manual processing of emails).