Press Release Format is Boring?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by botman, Sep 3, 2004.

1. botman

Original Member

Hi all, I'm new here so appollogies if this has been posted before (I did search...).

I was just wondering what you think of press releases and how well they work? I'm specifically talking about the type that goes:

We are special!

Monday 40th, September - (Earth, the dry bits) Humans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humans) today announced we are all special.

Humans are the worlds most successful destroyers of the environment, with over 6 billion employees, making it a leading player in the destruction industry.

I know it looks big company style, but whenever I see it I just can't help but think "blah blah blah" to myself. Also the self fulfilling part at the bottom where the company pats itself on the back by saying "we make the best X you have even seen, ever". I always thought if this is true it should be self evident from the nature of the content. Otherwise, it's like telling people you're funny.

Do indies make releases like this because that's the format journalists and the like expect if you wan't to be published? Or is it just a simple and effective method of getting out infomation?

To summerise, if anyone could make their annoucements a little more fun to read, don't think it should be game companies? :)

2. Valen

Indie Author

3. terin

Original Member

Hmmm

The answer is: No.

If you make your press release "fun" many of the larger sites won't post it due to unprofessional nature.

Smaller sites will, and if you could find someone to differentiate the two that will and wont you probably WOULD increase your results.

Big companies expect professional releases... thats just the ballgame you have to play.

4. botman

Original Member

Thanks for the replies, and the URL Valen, was good reading.

With that in mind, if anything it sounds like my gripe has more to do with poor editing than the press releases themselves. That is, the sort of websites where verbose press releases feel most out of place, probly don't have the same standards and resources, and publish releases sent to them without any cropping or rewording.

5. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Every press release looks like the same ol' blah blah blah to me. It wouldn't matter if one was funny- I wouldn't go and read it anyway.

6. botman

Original Member

Heh, that's the sort of thing I was thinking about tho. Is there a way to get people like yourself to read them or not?

By the way, I was in Perth for 6 months last year. Fremantle really. May be going back again next year. Quite liked it but was surprised just how different NZ/Aus is in many ways. ;)

7. Redclaw

Original Member

The absolute best guides I've seen for writing effective press releases are the following:

http://www.asp-shareware.org/resources/pressrelease.asp

http://www.asp-shareware.org/resources/aspectspress.asp

They talk about the whole reverse pyramid structure, what to include and what to leave out, and by far the most common mistake: making your press release sound too much like a glowing review! Probably more than half the indie game press releases I've seen make this mistake, and any writer worth their salt simply won't print them, because they read like a product endorsement rather than a news item.

8. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Thanks Redclaw... interesting...

Botman, let us know if you drop on by ol' Perth again. Another meetup will be organised sometime again (I think) so you're more than welcome to join ;) I hear NZ is a very beautiful place, but many say Perth is equally as nice. I wouldn't know... since I've been in Perth for so long, I find it quite plain!