Post your ancient games.

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Lerc, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Lerc

Indie Author

A couple of things happened in the last week that gave me an idea for this thread.

Firstly, I had a play with DosBox, and WooHoo! it has now reached a stage where it can play my old PC games.

Then yesterday, while trying to amuse my daughter I put her in front of the Amiga, snooped the hard drive for somehting she could fiddle with. I ran a likely looking game and blow me down if it didn't say 'Copyright 1993 Michael Boeh'

I put together an installer to enable people to play my old games easily
    http://screamingduck.fileburst.com/sdsancienthistory.exe

So anybody care to post things from their past? Everybody says your first few games will suck, lets see those sucky games.

2. mahlzeit

Original Member

Evil Insects, the first game I ever released. For Amiga 1200:
    http://main.aminet.net/game/shoot/EvilInsects2.lha

Overdose. "Light's Out" kind of puzzle game for all Amigas:
    http://main.aminet.net/game/think/overdose.lha

Zero Gravity. 3D race through tunnels. Won 100 pounds in Amiga Format's reader games competition. (Screenshots) For Amiga 1200:
    http://main.aminet.net/game/actio/zerogravity.lha

The Wayback Machine has my old homepage with more info and screenshots from these games.

I don't know how well these games work on emulators. Some time ago I tried Zero Gravity on WinUAE, but it wasn't 100% successful. (That's what you get when you program to the hardware directly.)

Enjoy! :)

3. Shagwana

Original Member

Well this is my 1st game ever for the Amiga...

Last Lap

4. lexaloffle

Indie Author

5. Hamumu

Indie Author

The classic SPISPOPD!

SPISEdit - the less user-friendly, but imminently more editable version, with bonus free world based on the old Ultima games.

I wish I had a working copy of Mucho Kombat to share, that's the game I'm most proud of in my whole life. It had Animalities! Long before Mortal Kombat did, that's for sure.

6. Olivier

Indie Author

#6 Olivier, Jun 16, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  7. lakibuk

Indie Author

8. Vectrex

Original Member

9. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Our only other work is an addon named 'Gods', for the fps shooter Blood. Amazingly, it's right here for download, if you happen to be a Blood fan (and think fps games today are too easy).

10. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

Oh that's a good thread :)

Here are my old amiga games:
    Charr
    Artillerus

Here is a commercial PC game I was the lead programmer of. Despite the claims of another game, I believe this was the first commercial game to actually use MMX. Not that it mattered of course, because MMX did very little- so it was just a marketing gimmick.
    Eraser Turnabout

11. stanchat

Indie Author

Here our my first games which were released between 1995-97 some time

PoP-A-HooP

Ringer King Horseshoes

Quink (Simon Like Game)

Basketball Shootout

All these game were done in Visual Basic 3.0 and custom windows api dll's written borland c++ compiler and using the Diamondware SoundToolkit.

To this day the Ringer King Horseshoe game stills gets around 10-20 sales per month. Ringer King is still the only Horseshoe simulation game that I am aware of.

12. dima

Original Member

13. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

Bones my old Atari 800 games are all gone to the bit bucket.

I always forget about these, made this one in 89 when first got my Borland C compiler (c++ is for sissies!). You gotta have one of those incredible built in PC speakers to experience the full quality of this baby! Amazingly it still runs on my Win2000 box.

Missile Attack

My other game circa 89 called Solar Cleanup which is basically a wireframe 3D version of asteroids runs but it's mouse input doesn't work these days.

14. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

I'm making the bold claim that I have the oldest game that sits on anyone's current hard drive.

I have a game called Soccer Superstars ( http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1108 ) and it's dated 1987-88. I got it on a floppy disk when I was about 6-7 years old. Around 1990-91, I put it on my hard drive and it's been there ever since. Every time I buy a new hard drive, I put almost all the data from the old hard drive into a folder called something like "Old Drive C". I've only had one significant hard drive crash (which I was still able to recover a lot of data), so I have files dated on my computer that nearly 20 years old. It's crazy being able to read my old 2nd/3rd grade essays as well as playing a few of my ancient games all from my current computer. It's like my own little time capsule. :)

[EDIT] I misread the topic! I thought it was about ancient games we owened, not made! ha! oops... I obviously couldn't have made Soccer Superstars since I was only 6 years old! :eek:

15. Ryan Clark

Indie Author

If unfinished games are ok, my old VB DX7 game "Galaxy" is still online (with screens):

http://www.rookscape.com/vbgaming/projects.php

I finished a simple multiplayer space combat game in VB, too:

http://www.rookscape.com/vbgaming/mpspace.zip

The graphics are lines and circles, but you can play it over the internet with your friends!

Those were the last VB games I ever wrote... took a break for a few years then started with C++ and SDL.

dima: I remember you and "safrosoft" from back in the day, when there still was a VB game programming community :)

16. Coyote

Indie Author

Well, my first released games were all for consoles...

Warhawk (Sony, 1995, Playstation)

Twisted Metal (Sony, 1995, Playstation - yes, I worked on two games at once)

Jet Moto (Sony, 1996, Playstation)

Outwars (Microsoft, 1998 or so, PC)

Snowmobile Racing (GT Interactive, 1999, PC)

Snowmobile Championship 2000 (GT Interactive, 1999, PC)

Animorphs: Shattered Reality(Infogrammes, 2000, Playstation)

ECW: Anarchy Rulz (Acclaim, 2000 or 2001, Dreamcast)

Void War(Rampant Games, 2004, PC)

The first three were pretty good. A couple were victims of politics. And the last one I'm pretty proud of...

17. kevryan

Indie Author

Found a game that can be downloaded that I made a long time ago. I think you need an Amiga to actually run it. I wonder how bad it would look now if I booted up my old Amiga and tried running it?

18. Raptisoft

Indie Author

Here's "Defuse" (1997) which I am currently remaking as a cooldown project. My wife was a real Jumpman fan, so I made it for her.

It only runs on Win98 or earlier. I don't know why... it might be because I used FastGraph and XP doesn't like it. Either way, if you use XP, it'll just crash. If you use 98, it's fine. You just need to maximize it, and go into options and adjust the speed to your taste.

There's 30 levels, but you'll never see them all with five men, so you need to use the cheat: Hold down ASHO all at the same time.

Yes, it's viciously, cruelly, painfully difficult. The remake will be a lot friendlier. :)

http://www.raptisoft.com/FYI/DEFUSE.ZIP

19. Robert Cummings

Original Member

Thing is, I actually really liked warhawk and twisted metal. The former had cheesy movies and some nice combat and the latter cracked us up in two player mode with sweet tooth lurking in the bushes.

20. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Oh, the memories :)

A couple of screenshots of my first finished game, around 1992 (I was 11) : introduction and in-game screenshot. It was a first-person graphic adventure.

After that (around 1994 or 95) I started working in the sequel, which I never finished, but which looked far better - introduction and in-game screenshot. Third person adventure this time.

Of course I have older stuff made in the Spectrum but I don't have access to that :(