Possible to reach annual income of $100.000 with indie development?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Bunkai, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Bunkai

Bunkai
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Hello,

I have been thinking for many years to developing computer games on my own. One day, i would like to go fulltime with indie games development.

However, to be able to survive, in the area where I live, I know, that my annual income should be at least USD 100.000.

I dont need to get very rich, however, I wish to have my own house, and one car, and to provide financial stability to my family. Have you heard about anybody developing indie games, that would reach the above mentioned annual income? Indeed, are my wishes to reach annual income of $100.000 realistic? Or is it easily achievable?

Thank you and have a nice day.

2. lakibuk

lakibuk
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

No.

You need $100.000/year to live in Slovakia??
    According to Wikipedia the average pay is $522/month.

3. JoKa

JoKa
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

4. Escapee

Escapee
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Didnt Dweep earn Steve a 6 figure annual income (partially indie ) ? but it's xtreamely difficult now days for an indie to reach such a target.

5. PoV

PoV
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

100,000Â¥ maybe.

6. Tertsi

Tertsi
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Expect a too low to pay your bills (whatever they amount to) income from your first indie game.

7. jankoM

jankoM
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Your question is very much the same as "Is it possible to get $100.000 on lotto?" and the answer would be... "It is certanly possible!" ;)

8. zoombapup

zoombapup
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member

This is like saying "how successful will my business be?", it really doesnt mean anything because YOUR business isnt the same as anyone else's.

You *can* make that kind of money, much that businesses *can* make billions.

GameHouse sold for 20+ million for example, off the back of a hell of a lot of games.

If you can make 100 games, I'm sure you can generate that kind of money. For instance, I'm sure miniclip.com is generating that kind of revenue at least. So can you create as many games as miniclip? If so, yes.. its reasonable to assume you could generate that kind of revenue.

Its the whole "how long is a peice of string" thing.

Personally, I would suggest that you need to look at your motivation for doing something like indie development. If it is a monetary reason, the smart thing is to test the waters by getting some projects under your belt. Basically, invest some of your spare-time in shipping products, then after your products are making enough to support you THEN make the shift.

For myself, I dont really care if I make money off my products in terms of return on investment, as long as I get better at making games. At some point I think that will tip the balance into profit as I get more savvy about what I make and how I make it. But its a long-term investment.

I already have plenty of shipped games though, so I know I can ship them, I just dont have a feel for doing it indie style yet.

9. Escapee

Escapee
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

The miracle man Morris goodman says "man becomes what he thinks of " . If you have such a superhuman & indomitable faith that you can make million by being indie, then it's definitely possible no matter how hard it is in the perspective of others. :D

10. PoV

PoV
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

If that's the case, then forget you guys... I want that million bucks myself... and an indoor swiming pool. :D

11. Game Producer

Game Producer
    Expand Collapse

I think this depends very much what kind of resources you can use. Cliff (Positech/Kudos) has probably made one of the greatest deirectly sold games, and he has been working for ages in AAA world and as an Indie. I don't know how Kudos is doing, but I suppose his gross sales are going steadily towards 100K direction. Reduce taxes, hosting, ad expenses etc. etc. and you'll get a picture. It's really tough business out here.

And I suppose Joka meant this sales stats page - there's quite a lot of information about how much games can sell.

12. Nexic

Nexic
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Been going nearly 3 years and nothing close to $100k. Yep there are a fair few developers doing that well, but a lot of them started out quite a while ago when things were a little easier. Overall my guess would be for every 1 dev making $100k/year there are probably 20 who are making next to nothing. And of those making that much they probably had to survive for 1-5 years without much income before they started doing well.

So if you can survive for a few years without any income then you might be able to do it but it's basically a gamble.

#12 Nexic, Sep 28, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  13. cliffski

cliffski
    Expand Collapse

100k.jpg

took more than a year, sadly.
    Thats just through plimus though.

14. jankoM

jankoM
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

cliff you are a cruel person :)

Even Asteroid miner sold in 2-figure number? ... ok I realized that could mean 10 or 99 which is quite a difference...

15. Game Producer

Game Producer
    Expand Collapse

so he said

16. svero

svero
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member Indie Author

This is the hard part. Entrepreneurship and stability don't always go hand in hand. Sure you can make 100k, but it helps a lot if you're in the position to take a few risks. If you already have bills/family to support etc... its hard to depend on making any particular amount.

17. Jack Norton

Jack Norton
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

honestly, considering how hard/changing the market is now, I would never attempt it if I had a family. Unless you have savings enough to go on for 2-3 years :p

18. Bunkai

Bunkai
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Uau, I posted this thread today morning, and now I see, 16 replies to it. :) Thank you all.

Lakibuk, yep, our yearly net income is probably as you stated. Living in Bratislava is much more expensive than reported annual net income. However, this is the amount of money I would like to earn in the future, and therefore, i was curious, if it is realistic to achieve such money by making something that is funny and that I like.

Thank you for reply,
    with regards,
    Rene.

19. zoombapup

zoombapup
    Expand Collapse

20. zoombapup

zoombapup
    Expand Collapse