Portals some good some bad and some lie

Discussion in 'Development & Distribution' started by Dyno Kid, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Sharpfish

Original Member

Lack of Mouse control is definitely the "stand out" reason that this game doesn't feel as polished as it could for me. I'm an old time gamer who grew up using Q/A/O/P on the Spectrum and have no problem using keys. However you need to research the market more and find out what sells then 'bend' your game design towards the common factors enjoyed by the audience you are aiming for, that is if sales is your goal and not some claim at being "unique".

I know it's not easy or cost-effective to spend an extra month working out a robust way to add mouse control that you may not be 100% happy with, but perhaps rather than thinking it's impossible due to the game design, you change the game design a little to make it possible.

And I don't mean to sound like I'm having a go but in every post about your game you have put how "original" it is, but the only original thing about it is the control method. There are plenty of 2D top down and Isometric games that have used an abstract directional control method to guide your avatar to some goal, though I concede most of them offer direct control (perhaps because they have their gameplay in other areas than the forced restriction of the direct control they allow over the player character). I'm not saying it's not different to your typical match-3 portal offering but it's very similar to many other (older) games, it gave me a retro feel anyway.

I think Arcade town hit on another valid point that because your game (or anyone's game) is accepted on a portal it doesn't validate it's worthiness to anyone. It's the sales figures that count, people putting their money where their mouths are. And to get good sales figures you are going to have to cater to a wider audience. That audience 9 times out of 10 prefer to use the mouse for casual/semi casual gaming and they also enjoy decent levels of polish and higher (and quicker) incentives/rewards in their gaming.

Of course you probably consider it too late to do anything else to dynokid (which is something a lot of people desperate to move on to their next game typically think) but once you release a game, if you ever thought it was worth it, then it's worth it to tweak and update as feedback comes in. If you can't then just take all the advice in this thread and apply it to your next game so you don't box yourself into a corner with things like control methods and what have you.

Good luck though!

#21 Sharpfish, Sep 26, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  2. Drake

Indie Author

I played the demo, and I think mouse gestures could work. No clicks, just a quick nudge in one of the four directions. If they register quickly enough, you could perform several gestures within a second.

3. TimS

Original Member

That's the first thing that crossed my mind, too... I think it'd work pretty well.

That said, I also don't think good mouse control is going to change any portals' minds despite the stated reasons for not taking it.

And I'd still play with the keyboard ;) .

-Tim

4. Bad Sector

Original Member

If you add mouse support, can you please add gamepad support. Such games work very good with gamepads...

(and i have two gamepads - one analog and one digital - to use... :)

5. Dyno Kid

Indie Author

Thanks guys,

I will look further into it for my next game that me and an artist friend might be doing.

I like the idea of the nudge left with the mouse and that could work but not click click.

Of course just because its going on a couple of portals I dont think it will just sell millions but for my 1st game Im really pleased with the game.

Thanks for all the suggestions and positive feedback you guys have been fantastic.

I need to drum up some sales from my site any ideas (cheap ideas)

Darren.

6. amaranth

Original Member

Just wanted to add my two cents...

If you get rejected from a portal, I would contact them, but don't do the old "why didn't you take my game" routine. Instead, tell them thanks for reviewing the game and ask them what you can do to improve the games you plan to submit in the future. I did that and I've gotten some pretty good feedback. The most important tip was to add mouse control to my games.

I know it bites not to get in every door, but even cracking open a few is a good place to start.

7. Davaris

Original Member

You'd be nuts to "look into it for your next game"! It has a great name and a great casual game play mechanic. Now all you have to do is finish it off with polish. I think DynoKid could make a lot of money if it was done right.

P.S.
    Another thing to consider: If you don't finish your games properly, other people will clone them, raise the quality bar and take all of the credit and the money. I've seen it happen here.

8. TimS

Original Member

I've got to agree with Davaris here, especially considering the distance between your current state and a much better one is pretty small.

If you've got an artist friend in-hand, so to speak, I'd wager that within 2 weeks you could make a huge improvement...

1) - Give the artist every sprite in the game and tell him to redo them and that they have two weeks... (assuming the artist friend is good) :D
    2) - Spend One week yourself implementing and fine-tuning a mouse control system that works
    3) - Give a pro (I'd vote for Huang) a copy of the game (so they can see the main idea and the tension, etc.) and $60 or whatever they charge for a new main soundtrack.
    4) - find a clean recording environment and re-record the sound effects (or have a pro do it)

I suppose it could be a losing proposition, but I'd rather finish a game to 'modern' standards before trying to sell it than try to sell 5 games from 1996 in today's market.

Could just be me?

Best of luck either way!

-T

9. impossible

Original Member

No, it's not just you, I have first hand experience with this on multiple titles. DynoKid, everything these people are saying is 100% true, you can not listen to them, but you'll find out soon enough from how the market reacts to your game.

10. z3lda

Original Member

Just clone his game already :p

11. Marshall

Marshall New Member

No need to clone it. You can already play it for free with much better graphics and more polished gameplay:
    chick adventure.

Click the upper button and then click through the interstitial to start (sorry, it's in Japanese, but you'll get the game right away).

There are a lot more like this one, look for flash games online..

Marshall.

12. Olivier

Indie Author

Mmmm.. nice and easy concept. I'm gonna clone this one! :D

13. z3lda

Original Member

These variations just remind me of chuchu rocket. Now that was a great game.

14. Dyno Kid

Indie Author

Chu Chu and Lolo gave me the insperation for Dyno Kid.

Yes it is a great idea with great mechanics and yes the graphics could be better but its a no for mouse controls on this one as the pace is just too fast.

Darren.

15. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

My game doesn't work as well with the mouse either, when you get up to the harder stages. But I still have mouse control in there. I also have a very easy difficulty setting, and the option to slow the game down, and the mouse works better in this context.

People who are more likely to play with the mouse are also more likely to want the game to not be too hard.

16. amaranth

Original Member

Or maybe not... I think mouse games are difficult in a different sort of way than typical joystick games...

17. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Well, I mean that in the context of an arcade-style game, ie a joystick-oriented game that has been adapted to use the mouse. But please do elaborate - it's an interesting topic.