Portal Turn Around time?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Hidden Sanctum, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Hidden Sanctum

Original Member

As you guys undoubtedly have much more experience in this area than myself, I figured this is the best spot to get an answer.

Anyone know what the average turn around time is from the time you submit a game to a portal to the time you actually hear something back? I'm a little worried about how some of them state that they will contact you 'if they are interested', which could mean you might be hanging on for nothing as they may have already decided not to use your game. I'm haven't crossed that ' from x to y days' period so I'm remaining positive.

Are there certain periods when they might take longer to evaluate your title? (I'd assume this would be around the holiday season).

Thanks!

2. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

I don't know the average, but some portals are nicer and able to answer within 48 hours (Big Fish Games and Oberon), while for others it takes sooo long that if it happens again with my next game I may not bother again. I don't understand what takes soo long to reply.

cheers
    Roman

3. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Nail. Head. Hit.

Although it would be common courtesy to reply even with a polite "f*ck off", most don't. Its not just the portals, its life in general. People find it much easier to plead ignorance than to tell people something that they know they aren't going to want to hear.

4. Hidden Sanctum

Original Member

So true... been dancing around one of those (non-portal) for months. A simple, "Sorry, we're not interested." is much better than, "We haven't got an answer for you yet." There comes a point when you feel like they are taking the approach of, "If we ignore him, maybe he'll go away." As it stands, I've got a lot more respect (and a willingness to work with them in the future) when people give me a straight answer. The ones that string me along leave a bad taste in my mouth and it's doubtful I would want to work with them on anything in the future. :(

On the portal side, like I said, I haven't crossed the x to y days period so I'm not worried about it at this point. Was just wondering what the average seemed to be for most folks.

I'm impressed with Big Fish responding in 48 hours for you Roman. It took them weeks to respond to my request for their submitters guidelines. It didn't tick me off - I got the impression that a lot was going on and I was knee deep in another project to even think about submitting one of previous titles by the time the response came.

The only thing that gets me with all of this is when bills are due and you sit there saying, "Crap, there goes another month." Is it just me or does the time seem to fly by when you are in the zone creating? :mad: