PLUNDERERS Concept (Plot, style, mechanics, etc.)

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by AndroidAnchovy, Nov 25, 2015.

1. AndroidAnchovy

AndroidAnchovy New Member

Hey howdy! For a while now I've been trying to refine the backbone to a game I thought up. I will go over a bit of everything, but to summarize: You control one of many professional thieves traveling from notable locations on earth and recovering rare treasures and artifacts to be handed off to whoever is willing to pay the highest price!

The game plays more or less like a basic 2D action platformer, channeling titles like Mario, Metal Slug, Prince of Persia, and Rayman with a notable bit of classic cartoon logic thrown in.

Throughout a good chunk of the game you travel through semi-randomly generated levels, using an arsenal of tools and tricks to collect loot, relics, artifacts, and other rare items of value.

Gameplay is a combination of basic sidescrolling, espionage, puzzle-solving, and very slight echoes of a level-up RPG. You begin with a small band of PLUNDERERS, and as the game progresses, you can find, hire, and lose members of the team. Each level presents you with a random member of the team, based on how frequently you use them and what your statistical strengths and weaknesses are during play.

Each character uses a basic model but varies in size, strength, weight, and special ability.

Active level items include your SWAG BAG, LOOT/TREASURE, TOOLS, and RELICS. Items are used as follows:
    SWAG BAG- Your trusty burlap sack for collecting LOOT, TREASURE, and other items. You need a free hand to carry it.
    LOOT/TREASURE- Coins, gems, and small artifacts found that can be traded for upgrades or CASH.
    TOOLS- Various items like the PRYBAR, the PARASOL, and the GRAPPLE HOOK. Each TOOL can only be held with a free hand.
    RELICS- Strange, otherworldly looking items that possess an eerie blue glow. Later in the game they grant abilities to the members of the group.

An important detail of gameplay is: To complete a level and earn any reward, you must collect valuables in your SWAG BAG and carry it to the end of the level. HOWEVER, as physics would dictate, you only have two hands. At any time, you may only carry one object in each hand, whether it be TOOLs, or your BAG.

This does mean however that TOOLS can be used in tandem to complete puzzles and take out enemies, but you will have to put down your SWAG BAG as you do so, possibly leaving it open to sort through by said enemies. You must use your brain and instinct to collect as much LOOT as possible before you reach the end of the level. This requires the use of multiple TOOLS and techniques for tricking or knocking out your foes.

Also to be noted, as you collect LOOT, your bag gains WEIGHT. There are various upgrades and abilities to aid you with this, but it must be considered.

Throughout the game thereare various agencies and groups wanting to buy artifacts and loot from you in return for abilities, upgrades, services, other PLUNDERERS, and other game-enhancing items. However, depending on who you do business with, it may close the door to other dealers, sometimes permanently.

At this time that is all I will reveal. If this catches some momentum, I will give a bit more info of what I have in mind.

2. ACBoulet

ACBoulet New Member

Hi !
    This sounds like a good idea ! I particularly like the idea of solving puzzles with RPG-like characters.
    I wonder what kind of puzzle you have in mind !

AndroidAnchovy likes this.
  3. AndroidAnchovy

Well, if I get around to it today or Friday, I will post a very rough sketch of the gameplay mechanics. I was invisioning something along these lines:

You have your BAG, you see some LOOT in a high up spot. In order to get to it, you need to take out enemies that are situated along that cliffside. You need the PRYBAR to attack them while you use the GRAPPLE HOOK to reach the LOOT. Now, you need to put down your BAG in order to use the GRAPPLE HOOK and the PRYBAR at the same time. You cannot simply avoid the enemies with your BAG, as you would be too heavy, leaving yourself vulnerable. Once you collect the LOOT, you can only hold a certain amount of it on your person before you cannot carry any more and are forced to either drop it or put it in your BAG, which also has a limit, depending on your upgrades.

TOOLS can be used to affect your surroundings, enemies, and can be used to aid in delivering your BAG to the end of the level (i.e. Using the GRAPPLE HOOK to swing your BAG across a ledge, in turn sacrificing your use of the GRAPPLE HOOK.). TOOLS can also be combined to some degree. For example, you may choose to drop your BAG and use the PARASOL and SELTZER (an old fashioned soda-water spritz used like a fire extinguisher) to float across a gap, propelling yourself with the liquid. However, as stated before, using two TOOLS at once relinquishes your ability to carry your BAG.

4. ACBoulet

ACBoulet New Member

Hi,
    Indeed, a sketch could help to understand the mechanics you consider.
    With your description, I have the feeling that your game is more about constraints that are time consuming for the player than about puzzle to solve.

Anyway, I'll wait to see your sketch

5. AndroidAnchovy

Yah, I imagined 'puzzles' more in the fashion of Zelda, Tomb Raider/Uncharted, or Mario vs. Donkey Kong. I don't have a lot of time this week to sit and sketch, but I will try to get what I have on here ASAP.

I haven't mentioned yet, but there is a twist in the plot roughly halfway through the game as far as I have thought.

As you travel through the various locations and collect loot and the like, some relics give off a blue glow, and seemingly do nothing. Toward the first portion of the game, you meet a mysterious otherworldy man named "Dyzmos". He tells you that he comes from a parallel plane of existence, and in his world he was a sort of scientist attempting to close a rift created by a cosmic bomb. He explains that the odd relics you have been finding are actually pieces of the device he was using to try and patch the rift, and in doing so was thrown into your world and the machine ripped apart.

He continues to explain that in his weakened state, there is no way he can gather the remaining pieces and fix them in time, and asks if you and your band of thieves would do him the honor of collecting them and returning them to him so he can repair the machine and return to his world. You agree. Relieved, he then informs you that some devices perform a specific role in fixing the rift, and when activated individually grant the carrier special abilities that affect time, space, gravity, and more.

From this moment on, you can attach ONE relic to your character, granting powers like double-jumps, bullet-time, and localized wormholes which can be used in tandem with your normal abilities to aid in your quest for treasure and artifacts.