Plimus propose to bypass themself for Paypal sales..!

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by ManuTOO, Nov 27, 2011.

1. ManuTOO

Original Member

Hello,

Plimus propose to completely bypass themself for Paypal sales : http://home.plimus.com/ecommerce/paypal-settings/basic .

It seems a bit strange they don't want to milk money anymore from us on the Paypal sales, but I think it's a great move that will raise my net income by a couple percent every month..! :cool:

It seems it's not optional, so if you don't have a Paypal account, then you'll have to set up one to not miss the extra sales ; so if you're just beginning your business and/or have low sales, that means extra work for not much benefit.

#1 ManuTOO, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

LOL seriously? I'm sure affiliates will be very pleased!!! Paypal are about 1/3 of my total sales, so if I was using Plimus my affiliates would potentially lose 1/3 of sales.

3. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

I heard about this a week or so ago and couldn't believe it. I called our PayPal rep and asked her if there were any changes that we need to prepare for and she assured me that everything was status quo - no changes in their policies or programming.

So, I don't know the story behind this but we have no plans to change our PayPal processing. PayPal, Google Checkout, Amazon, and transactions from EU customers into our Commerzbank account put a huge dent in the number of Visa/MC/Amex/etc transactions we process and these are pretty much fraud free so we really like them, even if they do cost us a bit more to process.

Really, I'm amazed at the number of Google checkout orders we process. They are just a bit ahead of Amazon (but behind PayPal of course).

Happy Holidays to all!

4. HarryBalls

HarryBalls New Member

5. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

The part that stands out though is:

So for some people who rely on the VAT/Sales tax being sorted will now have to deal with it themselves. I think BMT might find it useful to point out that while yes you lose XX%, you still gain the help from the the services provided =)

#5 lightassassin, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  6. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Also they don't handle license management for Paypal order, that could be a huge pain if you aren't DRM-free yet.

7. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

I don't know what their policy is on refunds and chargebacks fees, but I would be surprised if when it was all said and done that there was any difference at all. Just not automatically granting refunds and trying to keep the sale adds quite a bit of profit.

We make every effort to avoid refunds, going so far as to refer all refund requests to the developer for approval. Of course they can contest the charge but you would be amazed at the number of potential refunds we salvage.

8. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

30%??? who pays that? BMT do not charge that, nothing close to it!
    And this just makes plimus LESS usable for me. I rely on my payment company to handle fulfillment. I love the way, as usual, plimus treats us sellers as annoying inconveniences, and thus we aren't actually asked if we wanted this. Another reason I use BMT instead. The idea of BMT chnaging a big chunk of how they take payments, without speaking to its sellers first is just laughable. I bet Thomas is laughing his head off.

9. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

I would like to know the story behind the decision that led Plimus to do this. I bet it's a good one.

10. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

Cliffski I know that, I was just using any old number. Hence the "whatever".

I shall correct it to be clear though =)

Thomas maybe Plimus new owners have connection to paypal/ebay? Very strange indeed!

11. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I'm wondering how all the devs who were using Plimus will handle all the various VAT issues now for Paypal orders? it's going to be a mess! :eek:

12. frozax

Indie Author

If I read carefully the email I received, this is only true while they're doing the transition during December. I hope I understand this correctly because I won't stay with Plimus if they don't send serial keys (fetched from my server) themselves:
    But it's still a pain for very low sellers like me, as I need to update my Paypal account to "Business" for instance.

13. ManuTOO

Original Member

I read on another Forum it might be Paypal who forced them to do that ; ie: Paypal doesn't want 3rd-party cut between them & the seller. The post I read didn't provide any source for this explanation, so I have no idea it's true or not. BMT might get in problem sooner or later, if it's true, though, so Thomas@BMT might be able to let us know more about it..!

More practically, I checked what I should do to let Plimus redirect to my Paypal, and they require I provide them with PayPal API Access Username, Password & Signature. When I go for this in my Paypal account, I get a nice :
    So I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do... Look like I'm going to have to contact both Paypal & Plimus support... :-S

14. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

We've had the same PayPal rep for 5+ years and I called her when this first came out to see what was up. She was familiar with the Plimus situation because one of her coworkers is their rep but obviously could not discuss the details with me.

I did ask her if it there were any changes that we might expect and she said no that it did not affect us. That's all I know but I do know that she knows our business model very well and if we were doing something wrong we'd surely know it.

I know nothing about the details of what's going on with PayPal and anybody - but the only info I would trust about this would be something published by Plimus.