Plimus is Usability Retarded

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by DFG, Jun 30, 2010.

1. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

- Step 1 - Try to log into Plimus, can't remember password, get emailed temp

- Step 2 - Log in with temp, must immediately set a new password, must wait for verification code sent via email in order to activate

- Step 3 - Activate new password with verification code, Get rejected on new password because I've used it some time before there in the past however many years

- Step 4 - Set new password, must wait for verification code to be sent via email, input verification code, get rejected because I've also used this password some time before there in the past however many years

- Step 5 - Repeat steps 3 & 4 five more %$##^ times until I guess a password I haven't used at Plimus before. Waste 15 minutes out of my day, raise my blood pressure, and use every swear phrase I know before the word "Plimus"

2. Maupin

Original Member

Just like buying a game from them. At least they're consistent!

3. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

Department of Defense Level 4 Security Clearance will soon be required to use any of their crap.

4. papillon

Indie Author

Been there, done that, set a password that was full of swearing at plimus, attempted to email it to myself and accidentally emailed it to them. :)

5. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Steo 0: don't lose the password your biz depends on :D

6. papillon

Indie Author

Doesn't matter, they make you reset the thing very frequently, which is why you run out of good ideas and start inventing foreign swear words. :)

7. Game Producer

Ahh, alright. I suppose I have so cryptic passwords that I've never gone through those steps 1-5.... always found plimus to be nice thing.

(Well, in that case just use some "random password generator" from the web, like this: http://strongpasswordgenerator.com/ :D (I used something similar while was doing one labor work for one company... needed to invent passwords for long list of users. came handy))

8. cliffski

I've had the exact same nightmare. I don't see why they think making me change my password is more secure. Is my password secure or not?
    If not, fix it. if it is, then leave it alone.

9. Chris Evans

Lately everytime I log into Plimus, I live in fear of getting the dreaded "password expired" notice. I've been with them since '04, so I've long since exhausted my normal passwords, so it's a huge pain to come up with something new, that's secure, and that I won't easily forget.

They really need to change this. As DFG illustrated it's extremely frustrating trying to get a new password set and having them expire so frequently.

I much prefer them have a password "strength" indicator and you must create a strong password. But after you set the password, it won't expire. Also, on the main account page have "Last Login on XXXXX date from IP Address XXXXXX.

There you go. You have a strong password and you can get an idea if anyone else has logged into your account. That should be sufficient. Even major banks don't require you to change your passwords this much to manage your account online.

10. Game Producer

Banks here on Finland usually require a password generated by the bank, and then code series that change (some banks even make you use one of these codes every time you log in).

Dear god. What happened to "write down those passwords" :p

I don't see how the hell using Plimus feels so complicated to you guys - sorry - but I just don't :D

Here's a tool for you DFG, Cliff and others:
    http://www.gameproducer.net/plimus-password-generator/ :D

Fine now?

P.S. LOL, I just checked and seems that I haven't written down MY plimus password... do'h... :eek:

11. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

Well if I write down my password someone might steal it or see it ;)

The problem is is that no other site I have ever dealt with sees the need to use this kind of system. Why is Plimus so original in ways no one wants them to be original?

12. Bad Sector

Original Member

I hope Plimus stores previous passwords as salted hashes, not plaintext...

13. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

The first thing I install on a computer I'm going to use if it doesn't already have it is Roboform: www.roboform.com

It'll do everything - including syncing passwords between computers something I find tremendously helpful.

14. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I'm not a big fan of Roboform for filling in forms (since it only works with a few browsers) but I really enjoy being able to dump all of my secure information into it, and recall it whenever needed.

15. DanFromFastSpring.com

I'm a fan of Roboform myself. It works in Chrome which is nice, though not quite as well as it does in FF and IE. Now that iPhone 4 supports multitasking I think the Roboform iPhone app will work a lot better. Here's hoping.

For those feeling frustrated, FastSpring is here for you.

16. DavidRM

Indie Author

I store my passwords in The Journal. Behind a password. Duh.

A friend of mine creates ridiculous passwords for himself--and then memorizes them. And then changes them every 3-6 months or so. *That* is password paranoia. Just saying.

Back in college I got so tired of people whining about college life. OMG, you had to *STAND*IN*LINE* at the Financial Aid office? You had to *FILL*OUT*A*FORM*! Oh, the humanity.

I discovered that the whining didn't end in college. No! Your *BOSS*IS*DEMANDING*? Say it isn't so. Your *HOURS*SUCK*? You're *UNDERPAID*? How can you stand it? How could anyone?

Now I see that even after leaving the workplace, the whining doesn't stop. Mercy me, you had to *CHANGE*YOUR*PASSWORD*? On a site that has access to your *BANK*ACCOUNT*? How could they be so insenstive as to help you *PROTECT*YOUR*PERSONAL*INFORMATION*. Those bastards.

Yeah, anyway. Whining. It never goes away.

-David

17. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

It doesn't have access to your bank account.

Don't worry, we're not whiners, we just say that plimus solution sucks. Really, every service that requires same password changing rule sucks. Computers were made to make your life easier, not harder.

You just need to be able to discern between whining and constructive feedback :cool:

BTW. You just whined too ;-)

18. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

double post, see above

19. cliffski

I don't whine as such, I just put tons of business through BMT instead, who don't waste my time.
    Its not my job to tell plimus how to improve their UI.

20. princec

Indie Author

Hear hear :)

Cas :)