Plimus costing me direct sales (the evidence inside)

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by chanon, May 9, 2008.

1. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

phones are from a previous generation. I've dealt with ZeroG for about 3 years, done hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of business, and never spoken on the phone. Anyone who relies on the phone to do business these days is just lonely :D.

2. GnadeGames

Original Member

I have never experienced any of these plimus problems, but it has me pretty worried and I've already signed up with bmt micro. I'm highly considering switching over during my next game release.

3. Sune

Indie Author

In all fairness to Plimus, this isn't a big problem for us as far as I know. All I want is to know exactly what the procedure is and how often it happens, so I can see if it fits the way we want to treat our costumers.

4. AlexN

Original Member

Okay, as the OP stated, his company is based in Asia. What about companies based in US? Does anyone experience this kind of problem?

5. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Do people understand why payment providers do so much verification? Anyone who provisions credit card transactions is monitored very closely by the creditcard companies. A fraudulent charge costs the company ~$20, not to mention whatever money the "customer" paid for the software they bought. Any company that has close to or over 1% fraudulent charges gets monitored very closely by the creditcard companies, especially if they are doing significant volume.

Unfortunately with games, there's a lot of 13 year old kids who don't have creditcards but have the ability to download CC generators and the like off the internet. This means that there's an abnormally high amount of credit card fraud in the downloadable games space.

6. DanFromFastSpring.com

At FastSpring, we've been handling sales of games for our gaming publisher clients for a while now, and we haven't found the need to use these types of measures, yet our chargeback rate is extremely low. We think it's a question of balancing anti-fraud measures properly so the client isn't hurt by so many incomplete sales.

- Dan

---
    Dan C. Engel, CEO
    FastSpring
    Email: dan at fastspring.com

FastSpring offers a next generation Java-based e-commerce payment & merchandising solution for software and gaming publishers which is focused on customer service, flexibility, and reasonable pricing.
    View the Flash Demo at: http://www.fastspring.com/

7. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Phone verifications are used even by BMT Micro, but very rarely and only when all the other verifications they do (no clue which are) fails.
    If what you say is true Dan, then everyone would have an insane amount of chargeback every month...:rolleyes:

8. dma

dma New Member

I've been taking credit card orders (with my own terminal) for about 16 years now. In that time, I think I've only had one fraudulent order. And that was from someone in South America. The funny thing is, they claimed that the charge was for $3,500, when it was only like $35 or so.

Anyway, it was all figured out, (it's hard to lie about a $3,500 charge) ... they got their ~$35 refund, and it cost me a couple of bucks in charges. (Not ~$20.) I also had someone ask for their money back, due to some change in their computer or some other excuse, so those are the only 2 times in 16 years I've had a "problem." (And I sell to people all over the world.)

Weird. It makes me feel like maybe I should "knock on wood" or something, now. ;)

9. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Do you sell games though? or maybe business/serious applications? ;)

10. gmcbay

Indie Author

Speaking from the POV of a customer and not a dev/publisher/whatever, I don't give a crap why they do it, all that matters to me is that I've got to spend an hour or more just trying to get access to a game I've paid for and in that time I could have made 5 trips to the local Best Buy to buy some game at retail.

The instant gratification convenience factor of smaller indie games is one of the giant selling points for them in the first place, IMO. If you remove it and make it harder/longer to buy an indie game than it is to order a retail AAA DVD box off Amazon, the indie gaming industry might as well just give up.

Also, I'm not sure what use a "CC generator" would actually be. I would really hope the payment processors being discussed here don't just accept any credit card number that has a valid card number checksum and hope for the best when they process the payments later offline or whatever. What good is a generated CC number when the validation is being done against the number, the expiration date, the 3 digit security code, and the customer's billing address info (which every payment processor should be doing)?

11. Sune

Indie Author

Today was the second time I have been waiting in vain for their phone call at an appointed time. It seems they aren't as good as calling their vendors as out costumers.

Now I just sent them en email with a bunch of detailed questions. I'm not going to sit here and wait for their call a third time! I wasn't even the one who suggested it in the first place!

12. GnadeGames

Original Member

I had to come back to this thread and admit that I finally have had a similar issue with Plimus. A customer just complained to me about having to wait 48 hours for verification and a download link! That is just unacceptable!

13. DanFromFastSpring.com

Sorry you're experiencing that problem as well. We're here for you, just say the word and we'll setup your account and design a custom page for you and you'll be off and running.

- Dan