Please move me.

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Leebo, Mar 20, 2017 at 6:44 PM.

?
  1. driving

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. exploring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. hunting

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. roleplaying

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. solving puzzles

20.0%
  6. building

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. trying to survive

20.0%
  8. multiplayer battles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. all of the above

60.0%
  1. Leebo

Leebo
    Expand Collapse

My name is Lee and I want to fulfill a goal that I have for myself.

This goal is to create the most revolutionary game the world has ever seen by giving players and developers a near infinite level of freedom.

I personally don't have the programming skills, nor the artistic talent or even the money to purchase the equipment to run servers.

What I do have is the ambition to get people that have these things to collaborate on a project that will redefine video game technology.

What I need first is someone who is willing to be a PR agent of sorts to get interested and spread the word that there is a team being put together to create a procedurally generated mmorpg with their input welcome and encouraged.

I need people to get truly passionate about making a new flagship online game to bring back a sense of pride in development.

I'm not saying there cannot be any microtransactions at all, but it would be nice to keep it 0% pay to win, I will likely concede this if there becomes an issue with maintaining servers, but I already have other ideas to generate income through the game itself without the need for charging players.

Any how I am welcome to all replies interested in the project I will reply later with a full list of team positions available and when, where and how the members will be communicating during development.

As always I am happy to be here with the fabulous people of the internet and thank you for taking the time to read this. I wish you well in your adventures.

Robert D likes this.
  2. Robert D

Robert D
    Expand Collapse

Hi im robert im a writer and a long time gamer, i would love to hear more about your project and how myself would fit on your team.

Leebo likes this.
  3. FreeFly

FreeFly
    Expand Collapse

Hi, I'm Riccardo, and I believe you just described second life. :p

Leebo likes this.
  4. metateen

metateen
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Indie Author

Hello there, enjoy your stay here.

Leebo likes this.
  5. Leebo

Leebo
    Expand Collapse

I couldn't possibly explain the game fully here without it being too much for the passer-by to swallow, but the basic premise is that there is a single planet where you create a character to be your avatar and you pick a niche for yourself such as a hunter, warrior, fisherman, merchant, highwayman etc.

You will not be "classed" though, these are simply a small number of options available to initiate your adventure.

As a writer, your primary objective would be fleshing out NPC dialogue and creating lore to give the feeling of realism and depth. For instance there will most likely be a set of immortal beings that will each need their own back story and drama to incite players to choose which ones to support and which ones not to. None of this is concrete of course. I just want to give you a general idea of what you could do for the team.

Also, I have played second life and it could be considered similar, but what I have in mind is much more accessible to non gamers and hardcore gamers alike due to the social atmosphere that we will build in the game. Each person that jumps in the game will feel their own impact on the cities and economy around them. A simple horse trader could lead a faction to victory due to his skills and support during a war or he could simply profit off both sides and get so rich he became a Lord of a castle and had to hire builders to contruct it. We may have to build a new engine, we might not. I look forward to other peoples ideas and once again thank you for reading this. PS mobile site doesn't allow proper text formatting so sorry about the one giant paragraph.

#5 Leebo, Mar 21, 2017 at 6:24 AM
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017 at 1:19 AM
  6. Leebo

Leebo
    Expand Collapse

Currently studying for this and so far am extremely excited.

Will have the list of positions up shortly.

7. Leebo

Leebo
    Expand Collapse

I am currently lead designer and that's about it, I plan on learning some code during the project, but for right now I just help put ideas together in a fun and interesting way.

What I think will be needed initially are:

3 programing positions, 1 lead programmer 2 secondary programmers to help with debugging and additional tasks like AI development and UI

gameplay designer

actor/creature designer

level designer

6 artists

project manager

1-2 dedicated testers

I will honestly take writers as I can get them as that will lead to a much better game, but it may take time to get enough of the rest of the team together to incorporate any story dialogues.

I'm not asking for a producer, but if a person volunteers to facilitate funds for the project they will be entitled to some of the same benefits as a normal producer, but it's imperative that the economic side of the game be in total control of the development team, there will be none of the pushing around trying to squeeze profits out of the game.

Feel free to contact me at ssjsheepy@gmail.com if you are interested in any of the positions or have questions about the project in general.

#7 Leebo, Mar 22, 2017 at 1:25 AM
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017 at 1:51 AM
  8. Leebo

Leebo
    Expand Collapse

UPDATE: Okay so.. no more replies yet. Wondering if maybe I put this in the wrong subforum? If so if admin could put it in a more relevant area that would be helpful to everyone :)

If not I'd like to talk about a few of the aspects I have in mind and a little of what is in store for early development of this exciting new game.

First it's seeming important to me to actually differentiate the game this topic is about and Second Life, the game you can literally do anything in and out of the game. Notice that I added out of the game? I am not a Second Life player because when I tried it 5-6 years ago it was slow and didn't feel natural.

The biggest way I would address the problems I had with Second Life and games where you supposed can do what ever you want is that besides what we do as developers everything else has to be be done inside the game. You can still create your own objects or try out real world physics and chemistry to invent, but there is not going to be any "porting" into the game from outside sources unless it was a form of template to recreate said upload from real world materials.

I think that having real life craftsmanship in a virtual world is going to be a major differentiation from other titles in a similar genre. Essentially what I want to create is a fantasy world simulation game where the inhabitants literally get to shape the world and do anything there that they can do here in this world. I am 29 years years old and have been envisioning this since I was 13. It is only now that technology is even getting close to my ambitions, but I'm getting worried that if I wait any longer to start creating the game that can achieve these milestones then someone else will.

Technically we are already playing a game just like the one I describe which is why I have sought out to make a replica that is just as amazing if not more because this will be a technological masterpiece that incorporates biology, astronomy, physics, sociological pattern developments under alternate world situations, and the list goes on and on if we can but get the algorithms right and create this perfect representation of a place that is just as tangible as the earth we know and love, but has magic and lore and history that is less about the tragedies of our world and more about the mystical plights of another.

I want to design an engine for the game from the ground up. In order to test the limits of the hardware available I want to start with just the physics alone and great a gravity simulation to basically build us a cluster of dirt to start working on because a large part of our design will be playing around in this literal sandbox and making it grow into a living breathing planet with life for humans and or other creatures to discover and interact with.

We need to create tools to walk around inside of the simulation and manipulate it, that way we can be more accustomed to the process when we have to create a simpler version of the tools for users and so we can bugtest as we design.

I mentioned immortal beings earlier in the thread, I was actually alluding to these ingame developer tools in a way. Each one of the gods/goddesses, demons, angels, whatever we decide will be playable by a team member, it will be a role played literally with no scripting other than what was before. It will be us that create what comes after.

I know this is a completely a$$backwards way of going about things, but soon I'm pretty sure all games will be made this way "from the ground up" instead of inside a box and then turned on to see if it works.

I want to try and simulate real world atoms at much much much larger sizes to accommodate our less than satisfactory processing speeds at the moment.

If this leads to the exact game I describe, but looking like a very complex bubble land I'd be happy with that. It would be a xoncept we could trademark and make sure that was ours to control and make a sequel to when hardware allows or we may be able to design a sort of "hd texture upgrade" that was actually just a shrinking of the atoms to provide a higher density/resolution of particles.

I feel like 6I'm shooting rainbows out a unicorns butt right now, but I truly believe in this coming to fruition by my hands and the hands of others that can see past how people do things now and want to create a new and improved model for people to base their goals upon.

It would be great if we could get actual plate tectonics, but I won't hold my breath for that, it would likely eat up so much of the processing time that we'd never get to put an actual game in it.

*pictures people just running from lava indefinitely*

9. Leebo

Leebo
    Expand Collapse