Playstation Network + WiiWare

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by voxel, Aug 15, 2007.

1. voxel

voxel New Member

Just curious on whether anybody explored either of these routes and your thoughts/experiences on how open Sony and Nintendo (now) are to indies.

2. Jesse Hopkins

Jesse Hopkins New Member

------------------

#2 Jesse Hopkins, Aug 15, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  3. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Yep, so it seems to go.

4. voxel

voxel New Member

Well... XNA right now doesn't lead to a commercializable XBLA title. It's more of a hobbyist platform right now.

If a dev kit was under $5K and I didn't have to jump through hoops to get one - sign me up!

5. sillytuna

Indie Author

Sony are also quite open at the moment, but you need to step through a lot more hoops and - if Sony themselves don't part fund you - you'll need some $$$ for kit/dev, more than for Wii.

6. mash

Original Member

Wii devkits are US$2000.

7. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

...and getting through the approval process for being on Wii appears to be nothing more than a formality that anyone can accomplish...whereas XBLA and PSN both have many gatekeepers.

WiiWare will very interesting to watch as the games start launching. I wouldn't be surprised to see over a 1000 titles there by the end of next year...and no I didn't accidentally put an extra '0' on that number.

8. Pyabo

Original Member

Whahuh?!? By "anyone," you mean existing Nintendo partners and established publishers, right?

If not... got a source for details on this approval process? Last I read (on this board), Nintendo was treating WiiWare just like their regular channel.

9. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

http://www.warioworld.com/apply/
    Get to it lad.
    "Anyone" might have been a bit too broad, but perhaps not too broad ;).

10. Jesse Hopkins

Jesse Hopkins New Member

------------------

#10 Jesse Hopkins, Aug 15, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  11. voxel

voxel New Member

It looks like it - secure location, credentials, etc..

I'm not treating WiiWare any differently than PSN or XBLA... but am wondering how open Nintendo and Sony are to new indie projects. I know you just can't shove anything you want onto XBLA even if you completely self-funded the project yourself.

12. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Which is like saying it's as orange as wednesday! Uou won't be releasing any titles on 360 written with the XNA kit - you still need to buy all the trimmings for proper 360 dev as you would from Sony and Nintendo.

I know the 360 will make you a profit if you get a game accepted, and I'm sure the same will be true on PS3 soon if not already. I doubt Wiiware will ever make anyone anything tbh.

Right now MS have more than they need so it'll be a hard sell especially from someone they've never heard of, but Sony are still pretty open to ideas. Probably won't last much longer as they get more people interested, so now's the time...

13. luggage

I don't think using XNA prevents a commerical route to XBLA, certainly no more than using any other language\library would.

From what I gather there were 4 winners of the Dream, Build, Play competition and they were all offered the chance of publishing on XBLA (under what terms I have no idea). And I think there's another game (Schizoid?) due out on the arcade this year that is written in XNA. How many others that are in development I don't know.

14. voxel

voxel New Member

Given the sheer install base and the lack of titles for it - I could it see it spawning a few odd hits (ala a mass market fLOw / Cooking Mama / Club Penguin / Viva Pinata kinda of way).

Unfortunately, you are also competing with all the VC titles too and from looking at the XBLA charts (many emu-ports) that not insignificant.

15. Applewood

But it's irrelevant. This is the result of a specific PR competition or something. To anyone else bar those people, there's as much chance of getting a game accepted on 360 if done in XNA as there is if you did it on a pc in blitzmax. And there'll be a similar amount of work required to get the thing running on a 360.

16. luggage

So like Schizoid then which isn't a competition winner and is written exclusively in XNA (so we're led to believe) and is coming out on the XBLA later this year?

Not sure what you mean about similar amount of work as having a game in Blitz to get it running on the 360. You realise XNA games do work on the 360? And those competition winners all had versions that ran on the 360 (I think).

I'm not saying you're more likely to get your game on XBLA but I disagree with the poster saying that there's no route to commericalisation on XBLA by using XNA.

#16 luggage, Aug 16, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  17. jessechounard

Original Member

I disagree. XNA Game Studio Express games already run on the 360. From the current version of GSE, you'd need to add achievements and networking (if your game is multiplayer) and you'd be set. I'll be very surprised if a few of the other Dream Build Play finalists don't get picked up for Live Arcade.

Of course, a game written using Blitzmax has a fall back plan if it isn't picked up for Live Arcade. It's gonna be difficult to sell GSE games on the pc as things stand. (And there's no realistic Mac option at all, obviously.)

18. Applewood

I'm not disagreeing with you, it's just not much of an advantage from what I've seen of it.

19. voxel

voxel New Member

I didn't use such strong qualifications... but my original assertion still stands.

"XNA right now doesn't lead to a commercializable XBLA title"

How does a studio sell his/her XNA game right now if they are forced to provide source and art? Just because you wrote your game in XNA doesn't mean MS will let you on XBLA. BTW You know there is a distinction between the hobyyist XNA and professional XNA, right?

I could write a PS3 game using PS3 Linux and Pygame/SDL/Mesa(software renderer), but that doesn't make it easier to have my game commercialized on the PS3? No.

20. jessechounard

Original Member

Actually, you no longer need to release source/assets to share your games. You build ccgame packages in GSE. (I'm not saying that I'd be happy for paying for a ccgame packaged game at this point, but things are improving.)