Player Profiles

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by bob123, Dec 28, 2005.

1. bob123

Original Member

From playing some casual games,I noticed that all of them let you create a profile(im not sure if thats what it's called,it lets more people play on the same computer,you select your name....). Do all portal games have this? Does anybody sell a game that dosn't include this feature? What do you think about putting this in your game,or would something like passwords for levels work?

Thanks ;)

2. Vorax

Original Member

For casual games at least (typically what's on the portals), passwords for levels is a bad idea. The customers want to save their games - usually automatically, via a profile.

3. bob123

Original Member

I just downloaded and played the Star Defender 2 demo,it dosn't use profiles to save, it just saves automatically. Is this a good idea?

4. Anlino

Original Member

I think it depends on which type of gaming you are making. If you make a game where you progress, like in a platformer, profiles are a good option. I don't think passwords would be suitable for a non-online game. To much of a hazzle.

5. Olivier

Indie Author

Passwords should be avoided. It's very annoying to write them down, to keep'em, then typing them again in the game, moreover without mistakes! The last time I saw games using passwords was ~15 years ago with the NES system.:)
    I think profiles is an easy way to keep multiple players/games seperate. I never used them (released 2 games not so casual) but thought of using it in Bonbon Quest version 1.1 soon to be released.
    Instead of profiles I use a system that can be found in many console games. You can choose between 3 files (could have more) and the games are saved automatically. Those files can be erased.

6. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

If you don't want to do the full profile system you could just have a slection of save game slots to click on. Shouldn't be any need to have a password system - they feel a little clumsy now.

I've worked on games as late as the PS1 where we had a password system that was requested by the publisher. It was quite common to wait a few months then leak the passwords to magazines to get a bit more coverage.

7. Olivier

Indie Author

"Save game slots" is the word I was looking for.

Quite interesting! :D

8. Sharpfish

Original Member

I've integrated profiles (8 slots not infinite for no particular reason) into my game-in-progress. Again it depends really on what the target audience is and if the game lends itself to such a system. If you think it can then definitley put profiles in, they seem to be apreciated by casual players especially and even if your game is "More advanced" if it works then do it - make is as painless as possible for the player/s to set up their own games.

#8 Sharpfish, Dec 29, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2005