Platypus on PSP

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Anthony Flack, Dec 4, 2006.

1. radishan

Original Member

First of all, that's pretty bad ass your game made it on a system like that.

Secondly, yeah it can hurt, but don't sweat your name not being there. I work on AAA games and it's always a new PA putting who put all the credits together. They're usually in crunch mode when making the list of names. It's not like they're maliciously trying to drive a knife into your back by leaving you out - it's probably the fact that they don't realize who even did what or where the game actually spawned from.

Do you know many people who watch movies and make a shrine for the lead assistant to Mr. Depp? Only teh [sic] psychos. It's usually your friends and family who you're going to show the game to (the people that matter) and you'll be there to tell them how you made it.

Props to you.

2. dxgame

Original Member

!@#$%^& The plight of Platypus continues. :( Seriously, an on going lesson we can all learn from. I'm assuming you've protected your Cletus assets?

"...if I do get a second shot at all this......"

Why not create a demo movie of Cletus, shop it around and see what kind of offers you get? If that game can't make some real money on one of the hand helds...well then there's no hope for any of us old school 2D coders. ;)

3. Emmanuel

Moderator Original Member

While iDigiCon acquired the game fair and square (I bet Anthony has read the wording a million times by now), it's both immoral and short-sighted business-wise. Anthony obviously knows how to produce a cash cow and while there are no guarantees in this business, there is a high likelihood he could have created more great games for them, had they gone back over the lopsided deal, done the right thing and shared some upside, letting him work fulltime on his projects and earning loyalty. While publishers have financial responsibility to their shareholders, it's always best to treat developers well (underpromise and over-deliver; it often costs very little to do more than the contract states); you don't want them making the next hits for the competition, and even if they are just starting and their first game or two doesn't sell well, you never know what future hit they will make.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

4. zoombapup

Anthony, if you want a little brightness in your life..

I recently got a book about games art. I cant remember the title off hand, but I'll post a link when I get back in the office.

Well, there is almost an entire section about you and your games!!!

I was amazed when I saw it, because the book was full of all sorts of bioware and bungie kind of stuff.

I think it shows a great deal of appreciation for your art aesthetic and is great press for you! :)

5. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Yes, it's "The Art Of Game Worlds". Leo (co-author) was very nice. Half the reason I actually have Cletus Clay screenshots up is because I had to prepare some for that book (the game was in fairly early stages back then so I had to quickly polish up some level designs).

He also sent me a complimentary copy of the book!

6. LilGames

LilGames New Member

If you're not going to approach this business like what it is, a BUSINESS, then this stuff will happen. Want to ensure you are credited in your work and subsequent ports? Put it in the contract.

7. KNau

Original Member

Man, I am really glad George wouldn't return my calls back when I was starting out.

8. digriz

Original Member

That's a little harsh! I suspect inexperience played a big part in what's happened to Anthony and i'm pretty sure it's something that he'll be more careful about in the future. I'm sure it didn't occur to him all those years ago that this would happen with Platypus.

I've no idea why Anthony wouldn't get a credit. Bit unsporting of the psp publisher/developer in my opinion.

Still, using this is a good way of generating more Media hype for Cletus Clay.

9. arcadetown

Hit the nail on the head there Emmanuel. Lopsided deals are no good for anyone. Retro64 even got taken out of the picture after they single handedly revived the title. Haven't seen a single other good title since from Idigicon. Karma is a b---. Strive to build postive points, not negative points.

10. electronicStar

Original Member

This is really sad.
    I don't think you should blame the company who produce the PSP version but rather Idigicon, they must be the ones who failed to mention your contribution in the game.

Now let's be optimistic:D. I'm going to throw out one of my useless suggestions and say that you should definitely take contact with MumboJumbo.
    Not to complain or anything but first to tell them that you could really have helped with new original content for their new levels, AND show them that you have Cletus Clay in the works, and possibly more games.
    Because if this game's success is sufficient, they will be looking for something in the same style or possibly a sequel, and you are the one who can provide it. So at least there is some sort of opportunity for you to take advantage of :)

11. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

George left Idigicon and now works for MumboJumbo....

I have met George in person and I seriously doubt Anthony's omission had anything to do with him.

12. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

[warning: 2nd hand info alert] Well if it helps any I gather that Idigicon have given up on mainstream and indie game publishing and are concentrating on educational titles now.

13. Fabio

Original Member

That's a bit too extreme, seeing the creator of a game's name together with the electrician and the driver of the taxi that brought some employer is, so to speak, expected to be "common practice" even if you don't state it in the contract. It seems that the only name that is missing is Anthony's, while there are a lot of names who could have been put away.
    Otherwise one should also write "the publisher shall not kill Anthony Flack". The parallel is there also to show that if killing is against the law, and thus you do not really need to write it explicitly in the contract, even not putting his name on the credits lists violates a law: the one about author rights, specifically (since he has given them away) the so called moral rights, which the author cannot give away or sell neither if he wants so (unlike the author rights). Part of the moral rights are that the author must be credited, a bit like saying that you can own a paint, but you cannot delete the original signature or overwrite it with your own.
    Once I wrote a software for a Clinic, and the GUI was made in Photoshop. My name was there. They removed it. I pretended it to appear again. And it wasn't even a published program, but one used internally (although someway accessible to the public).

14. DanMarshall

Original Member

I worked on a TV show once where I pulled 25+ hour shifts during shoots and filmed 3-4 minute sequences entirely by myself which aired and then I was left off the credits. I still get a knot in my gut thinking about that, even though it was over 2 years ago.

There's nothing as infuriating as slogging your guts out with no recognition, and I pretty much understand completely how you feel.

15. Agent 4125

Indie Author

I agree. You can contact them in a friendly way and their response will give you a better idea of their intentions. Maybe you'll find that there was no harm intended and that this can open a door for a publishing deal for Cletus. Either way, I don't think any reasonable person would consider it a "nuisance."

16. gosub

Original Member

A bright spot?

You should find out if that contract was a "work for hire". If not, you can get the rights to your work back 35 years after it was created (at least under American copyright law). Check this out: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ09.pdf

BTW, I commiserate with you. I worked for years on my two video games. They were recognized as the best video games ever - on that old dead 8 bit system. Try selling games on a discontinued computer. It sucks.

-Jeremy

17. Tom Gilleland

Original Member

Anthony, I think you should do a blatent clone of your game. Change the name and change the artwork "just enough". And market it with the phrase "From the Creator of ... "

In my worldview when specific people push the rules one way, you are justified to push back an equal amount.

Tom

18. KNau

Original Member

That's funny because didn't Idigicon use the same tactic on one of their releases - "from the co-creators of Platypus" or something like that?

19. DangerCode

Original Member

Anthony,

First off, congrats on seeing your game on the PSP, I hope it gives you some pleasure.

Second, being left off the credits is complete bull. I'm sorry that happened to you.

20. voxel

voxel New Member

I was about to ask about moral rights also. I'm not sure if moral rights forces the company to credit him. I know that moral rights allow him TO AVOID being associated with something questionable and/or reject his art being used in certain contexts. i.e a mature version of Platypus.