Platypus on PSP

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Anthony Flack, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Anthony Flack

Anthony Flack
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

I just played Platypus on the PSP just now, for about 30 seconds. One of my students has a copy and showed it to me before class. It looks pretty good from what I saw; the wide screen does suit it.

But I also checked the credits. Three pages of them and, you guessed it, no mention of my name anywhere. Despite the fact that I near-single-handedly built the original game and the design and graphics of the PSP version are still recognisedly my work. The PC downloadable version had the Squashy Software splash screen removed, but still listed my name in the credits. The PSP version has no mention of me at all.

I thought I was through with this game making me feel bad, but to see a whole bunch of people listed in the credits but not me, the actual creator, just feels like a deliberate attempt to hurt me. And it does. Why would they do that? It's not like listing my name in the credits would have cost anybody anything.

2. Sharpfish

Sharpfish
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Welcome to Suck-City. Jamie W was saying something similar the other day about a retail game he basically made 90% of. At least you've learned not to give away what is important to you from now on. Credits are always a touchy subject, when I worked "in the industry" there were credit politics, I appeared in some games for QA (World Snooker Championship 2004) but not others (Toca Race Driver 2 for example) and I wasn't alone, it was the codies policy for newbs, temps, people moving over from projects etc.. a name wouldn't hurt especially as in my case I typically had the majority of the issues found on PR Tracker and worked solid on them.

As the actual developer, artist and coder (such as you) to be missing from credits isn't right though but I guess that's life (when you sign it away). :(

3. JoshuaSmyth

JoshuaSmyth
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

That sucks. You deserve credit where its due.

But on the other hand at least you made a great game. We know it, and you know it, so chin up.

4. Dan MacDonald

Dan MacDonald
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Did mikes name make the credits by chance?

(and when cleetus comes out and rocks the house everyone will very clearly identify your distinctive style) :)

5. Bmc

Bmc
    Expand Collapse

Don't worry bout it man. When you finally finish Cletus and get it going on all the portals and stuff, Platypus will be a thing of the past.

PS. if would quite funny if there was an "easter egg" in Cletus where the ship from Platypus would fly across the sky and you could shoot it down. A sort of kiss off to that company whose name I don't recall (not Retro 64, the one who the game for originally done for)

6. Hamumu

Hamumu
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

That's utterly horrific. It's nothing at all like a QA guy being left out... it's more like "Firestarter - by Del Rey". Just another example of why to stay out of the corporate nightmare.

7. Sharpfish

Sharpfish
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Which is what I said, ie it's "accepted" that QA/lower scale industry workers/newbs/temps etc are often left out of credits due to company policy/office politics whereas being the sole person initially responsible for the design and implementation of the game and it's initial release on another format is not acceptable in my opinion. Hope no-one thought I was saying I was in the same boat, I was just using it for some background comparisions of where the line should be drawn.

Nonetheless, for the PSP port I suppose it's quite legal but it still sucks. :(

8. vjvj

vjvj
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Who was the publisher? That's BS.

9. Anthony Flack

Anthony Flack
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Mike wasn't listed either, but that's more understandable from a technical point of view as his work on the PC version wouldn't really have carried over to the PSP remake. (And his work on populising the game isn't something you generally get in-game credit for). Whereas the game design, level scripts and of course the graphics are still the same ones I originally made.

Ironically, the only people who are credited as working on the original version are listed as QA. (George Bray and another person credited with "Additional testing"). Everything else is covered by "Game By Idigicon". All the musical contributers are listed this time around though, which is good.

10. KG_Brad

KG_Brad
    Expand Collapse

Man that really sucks. I'd be making contact with the publisher and complain. I dunno if that would help at all, I'm sort of new to all of this :p

11. Anthony Flack

Anthony Flack
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Oh, and if you're interested, this was my take on the port itself (having now played it to the end of the second world).

12. soniCron

soniCron
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

MumboJumbo.

13. Anthony Flack

Anthony Flack
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Oh, it should be noted that I've just seen the game itself - I haven't seen the cover; so I don't know if I'm credited on the inlay or not. Hopefully...?

14. Mike Boeh

Mike Boeh
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator Original Member

The pc downloadable had all splashes removed, not just squashy- and your name was (rightfully) the first thing listed for credits. I was just trying to get the user to the actual game quicker for sales reasons.

I wonder why you were left out of the PSP credits :(

15. lakibuk

lakibuk
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Can it be they didn't put your name into it because they are afraid you could pose claims for money? Or that you are not happy with the game and ask it to be removed - so they have to take back all cartridges? I think they are better off leaving your name out.

16. Fabio

Fabio
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

DEFINITELY sue them for violation of moral rights. Giving away full author rights anyway still keeps you moral rights, and those say you must be recognized in the art you created.

SUE these lamers, such things make me angry almost like you.

Make them retire all copies, fix them, and re-release them. Give'm a lesson, damn!

[ yeah, I'm having a very bad day, but what I write is still right anyway ]

17. Anthony Flack

Anthony Flack
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Sorry Mike, I didn't mean to suggest there was any malice on your part here of course.
    Well, if anyone had've spoken to me about it...!

I don't think I wish to cause any trouble or make a nuisance of myself to MumboJumbo or anyone else. That's not been my attiude in the past and I'm not going to change that. I'm not seeking petty retribution or wanting to cause any headaches for innocent people involved (and I expect MumboJumbo probably don't even have any idea who I am). I'm just... well, a little sad.

18. Chris Evans

Chris Evans
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member

Wow, that's very unfortunate...

Not to pick at an open wound, but this is what happens when you give up all rights to your works. Obviously this doesn't "feel" right, but you were paid for your work. Idigicon didn't steal it from you. I don't know the terms of your contract with them but it seems you were naive or didn't take due diligence upon the signing. Personally if I created over 90% of a game that was of my own game design I wouldn't relinquish all my rights to a publisher unless I got continuous backend royalties from all future revenues. When you sign a deal, the terms should be satisfactory even if the game sells poorly or sells very well.

I know it still burns, but Idigicon, Retro64, or Mumbo Jumbo aren't the bad guys here. Idigicon is just milking a successful property, which they have the rights to, obtained legally and ethically (unless they put a gun to your head). While it would have been nice if Mumbo Jumbo put your name in the credits for the PSP version, lakibuk makes a good point. Putting your name in the credits might have caused them legal headaches down the line. I still think they should have put you in there under "special thanks" or something but considering credits are often a contentious issue I can see why they may have been overly cautious.

That said... you gotta be extremely proud to have one of your creations on a mainstream handheld. This isn't like being one of hundred developers on a console game or working on a Barbie game that made it to a handlheld. This is basically your sole creation. Your own game design and graphics that's on a mainstream handheld that didn't get tacked on to a well-known IP . Very few people can say they've done that. So take satisfaction in it even if the PSP version hacked up the game a bit. At the very least, this should give you some motivation to finally finish Cletus... ;)

19. Dyno Kid

Dyno Kid
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

OUCH !!!!

I don't think i've been here long enough to know what exactly went on but reading between the lines it seems you made a costly mistake when you sighned the deal?

Well done for making a great game, bad luck about the deal you signed.

I feel for you, i really do.

Darren.

20. Anthony Flack

Anthony Flack
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Yeah, I don't really blame anyone but myself for the bad deal I was cut (although it was a long time ago, before I even wrote the game...) and that's partly why I have never tried to make trouble for anyone. But I was still hoping to be at least credited on this. If anyone really did leave my name off in order to avoid any trouble, an email would have sorted it out. I don't want to sue anybody!

Yes, I do have some bad feelings for Idigicon, but that is just because after finishing Platypus for them they tried to lock me into an even worse deal that would have destroyed my career for good. Apart from that, I got what was agreed upon - although obviously not getting a cut of the money has made it much more difficult to complete a second game, it was totally my fault for undervaluing myself to begin with (and grossly underestimating the time it takes to make a game). I don't dispute that.

Still, I have plenty of motivation to finish Cletus! Just not a lot of time. It would look great on the PSP though, if I do get a second shot at all this...