Platformer Question

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by VinceA, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Nikster

Original Member

Why do runners on an athletics track and horses on a horse track and dogs on a dog track run counter clock-wise ? is it so the spectator can see them closer moving left to right ? would it feel odd if they ran clockwise ? food for thought ;) in fact, don't all grandstands sit on the finish line with left to right observation, maybe it's something to do with eye fatigue, would be a good test case of someone writing a basic shoot em up, that you can play both directions with a same level layout (mirrored maybe) to see how it affects average scoring etc.

when drawing a square on a piece of paper do you start left to right ?

2. Rainer Deyke

Indie Author

The key word being "also".

Every manga I've read used tategaki. I've Japanese website and computer program I've seen used yokogaki. I haven't actually read any non-manga Japanese books, but I would expect them to use tategaki.

3. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

I never said no one uses tategaki, nor did I say anything about books. I said that my understanding was that it was 'old-fashioned,' as supported by the words 'traditional' and 'modern' in the Wikipedia passage.

I wasn't even talking about reading. I was talking about modern, everyday handwriting, and although I'd have to ask one of my Japanese friends for confirmation, I assume that most people, given a pad of paper and a pencil, would write in the less bookish, left-to-right fashion, unless they were doing calligraphy.

EDIT: Okay, looking back at the earlier posts, I see where the misunderstanding started. You were talking about books as a counter-example to show that an average Japanese person would see both styles of writing on a regular basis. Meanwhile, I thought you were saying that because every book you've seen goes top-to-bottom, right-to-left, that must be the only way they write and I must be wrong about the left-to-right thing.

Thus, my statement "that's the old fashioned way" was meant to be read as "that's the old-fashioned way of writing (which is still used in books, but is being replaced by a newer method in other contexts)," not as "that's the old-fashioned way of printing books (and modern books are printed differently)" but I can see why it would be easy to take it the second way.

#43 AlexWeldon, Mar 27, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  4. gmcbay

Indie Author

Yeah if anything games just follow conventions that are brought over from other mediums in this regard. In theatre it is standard for the villian to enter and thus move from stage left and the hero to enter and thus move from stage right. This may seem backwards to the left-to-right hero progress we're talking about in games but that's because "stage left" is "house right" (that is, "stage right" is right for the actors, not for the viewers), in a game we're viewing from the POV of the "house". This rule also carried over to film where left-to-right motion is considered "positive" or normal movement and right-to-left movement is used to cause tension or a slight feeling that things aren't quite right. When opposing forces clash in movies, it is almost always the heroes coming from the left and the villians coming from the right.

Whether or not this is an arbitrary thing that has just been passed down since the time of ancient greek theatre or it evolved this way because our psychology naturally prefers it, I have no idea, but this phenomenon is much older than platform games.

5. Maupin

Original Member

Yes, that's right.

6. matibee

Original Member

Another possible human factor that's not been mentioned is the physical arrangment of controllers. Assuming a majority of 90% of us are right handed, pulling a stick left for us won't feel like outward progress (instead it's like passing something hand-to-hand). I can't remember if early arcade cabinets had buttons either side of the stick as they later did.

7. Ola

Ola
    Indie Author

I'm surprised none said... computer memory! Screen memory in particular, that used to be character / tile based and went left to right when the first scrolling games came out. So programmers started to make their level on memory location 0, and expanded it by going to memory location 1, 2, 3 etc.

So to a programmer at that time, this was the most natural way of doing it.