Plants Vs. Zombies

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by GBC, May 5, 2009.

1. mpdeveloper_B

mpdeveloper_B New Member

Spotlighted it.

I liked the demo, first I thought this game wouldn't be that good, but well...You got me again PopCap. I'd put it next to Peggle(and Nights), the only other PopCap game I like.

One thing though, could you guys consider making it where you don't have to put in your email to download the demo? I understand you don't have to get the newsletter...but I don't really like just putting my email up for grabs. :D

2. Nexic

Indie Author

I don't get the big deal, just put a fake email in.

3. Cevo70

Cevo70 New Member

I second Jeff's request. I am not sure why/where/when/how, but I heard about this game everywhere I went (it seems). I even heard a song or something written by a girl/artist I think?

Was this a pure marketing roll out with banner ads, or was there some sort of premeditated viral approach?

4. defanual

Original Member

I'd be interested too, because the marketing of this game was A-class in my opinion.

I'd say the music video definitely had viral about it as well as the avatar maker. And there seemed to be preview / demo versions given out to reviewers well before release to create extra buzz, but I think the music video was the real initial clincher.

But it is popcap, so you have to take that into the equation too. I think the biggest marketing lesson indies can take from this is don't just release your game the same day it's released and leave it at that, try and spend some time creating buzz by documenting the development, sweeten up reviewers and (if possible) make a really cool music video too:D

5. barrygamer

Original Member

I think they really nailed the casual 'core' of the game (ie tower defense, but cut to the core).
    I was never really into tower defense games, I think every one i've played has the same effect - I'm either doing very well, or about to be overrun. It's hard to establish balance.
    The game does seem a bit too easy so far, I guess it gets tougher :D

Unlike other popcap games, this genre doesnt have a single 'hook' to the gameplay, its quite a diversion in that sense.

I've only played for about 30 mins, I would've liked a little more variety in locations and music, but aside from that its trademark popcap quality.

Perhaps there couldve been a bit more strategy to the placement of items? (or there is later).

Oh, that viral video thing was great, wonder why they didnt use it as the games theme music?

[Edit: read the review on eurogamer -- looks like I need to play for longer to get new locations etc! ]

#25 barrygamer, May 5, 2009
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
  6. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Having the thing that forces you to enter an E-Mail address to download the demo, put me off even trying it. I wonder how many other people it put off? Or how many fake E-Mails end up in the PopCap databases?

7. MacMan45

MacMan45 New Member

Just reading that it required my email stopped me from following the link.
    I was interested, but not that much.

GBC: If we can choose not to get the newsletter, why demand our email address at all?
    It feels deceptive, I start to wonder why you *need* my email, which puts me off.

8. GBC

GBC New Member

Hi,

lots of good feedback, thanks! Trying to answer questions/comments:

@JGOware not really... in fact, we are expecting it to be a hit with the same non-casual players that bought Peggle (early feedback from reviews, Steam and Twitter seems to support this), also due to the challenge and strategic depth of the later parts of the game. However, as usual, we tried to make a game that can appeal to everyone, from the most casual of players to core ones. The first 90 minutes of gameplay present a slow learning curve to appeal to casual players, but that changes later on. That said, we still want to make it a fun experience for casual gamers, and getting at the end of Adventure mode should not be too much of a challenge: hardcore players will find their match in Survival mode... if you don't have a very, very solid strategy and frantic gardening skills, making it over level 20 will be a struggle :) Look at the last pic here for example:

http://www.pentadact.com/index.php/2009-05-05-plants-vs-zombies-lawns-i-have-loved

@hddnobjcttmmngmntmtch3rlz (cut and paste FTW): congrats for completing Adventure mode... now you are ready for Survival mode, where the challenge gets steep :) How long can you last? If you are making it over level 25 in Survival you're doing good, over level 30, you're doing great!

@cevo70 There was definitely a very coordinate marketing approach, and the team has done an amazing job. From launching the viral video and song 2 months ago, to the "zombie temp worker" series of videos, to the Zombatar facebook application, to the live zombie invasion in Melbourne, to print, radio and online ads by us or by launch partners across the world, I think that's one (if not the) most elaborate and coordinate marketing campaign we did so far. Social media (e.g. Twitter and Facebook) played a big role in it, and it worked, judging by the buzz.

Review-wise, we're now tracking 90 on Metacritic, and all the other reviews I've seen are in the 90/100 range, so we can definitely consider ourselves happy with the reception: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/plantsvszombies

Cheers,
    Giordano

9. GBC

GBC New Member

10. superfrog

Original Member

i download the demo. fun game, great graphics ...

saluti
    Superfrog

11. defanual

Original Member

Oh yeah, I forgot about the zombie temp worker:p

Thanks for the link too GBC. Anyway, I'll be giving it a try soon, if it's a good as many say, hopefully they'll be an xbox version to go with my copy of peggle...

12. Dave TZ

Dave TZ New Member

When did this happen? Darn, what did I miss? :)

13. GBC

GBC New Member

14. Dave TZ

Dave TZ New Member

15. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

I succumbed! and downloaded it (popcap.database.grabage_emails++). :p

It's a really nice game. I love the animations on all the characters. Really good job.

But dang!

That 'zombies on my lawn' tune has been going round and round in my head all day. Should release it as a single or whatever the have these days..

16. mooktown

Original Member

It was a genuine surprise when the trial period was over. Firstly because I didn't notice the 60 minutes whiz by but secondly because I felt completely unchallenged in the game which left me feeling really indifferent towards purchasing (although the Heavy Weapon bundle for $10 on steam was tempting for a game I was indifferent about). Not one zombie made it through my lazily placed defences in 60 minutes, it would have been nice to have seen one get through just to show what happens.

Congrats on getting a new game out the door though. :)

17. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Just saw it on steam... how comes that is CHEAPER there than popcap own site ?? on same launch day? :eek:

18. Executrix

Executrix New Member

Because many Steam users are poor pirates. :p PvZ is the number one seller on Steam today though! :)

19. JGOware

Indie Author

Why not give one of your main distributors a green light to discount the title a bit on launch day? ;)

20. mpdeveloper_B

mpdeveloper_B New Member

The people at Valve will really only add a game for what they think it's worth(believe me), but it could also be that they wanted to offer a discount for people who want to buy from steam. In all honesty I like it, I'd prefer to buy from steam because it's cheaper. I really don't think it has anything to do with piracy, piracy is just an excuse in my opinon :D .

Not true, there are many versions where people hacked a game and removed it from steam, making what they would call a "non-steam" copy. Half-Life 2 is the first one that was done this way...sadly. Every security system can be cracked, every lock broken. I do imagine, however, that Steam must be really hard to crack.

@GBC: Like I said, I liked the demo alot, but one more suggestion about the demo(even though the suggestion probably won't be logged :D ). People prefer non-timed demos, and after a person plays the same levels over and over again It'll compel them to buy the final product a little more than when playing a trial. Like Peggle Deluxe's steam demo. I played it so much, and the fact that it had the same levels made me want to get the full game so I could play more, so I bought the game.

#40 mpdeveloper_B, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009