Plants Vs. Zombies

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by GBC, May 5, 2009.

1. GBC

GBC New Member

2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Wanted to download the demo but, forces me to enter my email address... so I'll wait until it gets on reflexive :)

3. GBC

GBC New Member

Hi,

it's going to be exclusive to PopCap.com and Steam for at least a month. We require email address on the site, but if you uncheck the box, you will not receive any newsletter.

Cheers,
    Giordano

4. JGOware

Indie Author

For some reason the video didn't grab me. I would have liked to seen more actual game play.

5. Nexic

Indie Author

I tried it but honestly got bored with it pretty quickly. Slow paced for a defense game.

6. GBC

GBC New Member

Hi,

it starts slow to allow casual gamers to get familiar with it.. it gets challenging (and eventually very challenging) with time... there are more than 50 levels, 20 minigames and a survival mode (which will really test everyone's skill). If you have some time to devote to it, I'm sure you'll find some interesting elements in the game design :)

Edge review (9/10) just came out... PC Gamer and Eurogamer gave it a 9 too

http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/review-plants-vs-zombies

Not advertising nor promoting the game... would just be very happy if you could play through it more, since I think it's one of the most balanced games we published so far.

7. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Yes, I saw that. Pretty impressive for a casual game. Because of these reviews, I'll definitely try it out.

JC

8. Jeff

Indie Author

Thanks for making a Mac version. I played through the hour demo, and it was pretty entertaining, but I have to admit that the learning curve is way too long. My plants were only even touched by the zombies a couple times. It's really not possible to lose. It is addictive though.

Do you have any business, marketing, or development insight you can share with us?

I have to say that I have heard about this game all over the place. Even a PC Gamer UK editor was talking about it at a party a couple of months ago. Did you have any method to drum up this interest? What worked and what didn't?

9. anikoy

anikoy New Member

Thanks for this game!
    I agree that's sometimes it slow paced. "Huge waves" can be longer, may be. Anyway it's very addictive.

10. Dyno Kid

Indie Author

Just played the hour,

Got bored pretty quickly, ended up placing the same row of sunflowers followed by a row of pea shooters followed by a row of.....to get by all lvls the hour threw at me.

Not great imo, killing zombies didn't give me any satisfaction and overall for a popcap game the sound fx was bad imo.

The wall-nuts are too strong and the potatoe mines to good for the price so it doesnt feel balanced to me and having never played a tower defence game in my life never lost one round.

Of course it will get harder but i think i got as far as possible within the hour and there simply wasnt enough challenge to make me buy.

I didn't play the other mini/puzzle games so can't comment on that but feel disapointed with the main game after all the hype.

Darren.

11. Dave TZ

Dave TZ New Member

I've been playing this game a fair bit today. I bought a copy after the hour long trial, but I already knew I probably was anyway for research purposes. ;) I'm a big fan of Popcap's level of polish and style, particularly the animation. I've been wanting to learn how to do a proper paper doll style animation for a while now, and Popcap's games do it with a lot of personality and flair. I loved how the animation worked in Bookworm Adventures and it's done even better in Plants vs. Zombies.

I've only played a handful of the Tower Defence genre so I don't know how it stacks up, but it's generally been okay so far. I agree that it might be a bit easy during the first hour for seasoned gamers, although the difficulty does rack up as the game goes on. I'm up to Chapter 4 and while I haven't lost a game yet, I have been challenged and had to use one of those lawnmower "last line of defence things". I also think you might have let yourself down a bit by having to leave some of the funner zombies (like the Dancing Zombie) until later, but you've pretty much got to do like that to have a difficulty scale.

The Popcap polish is top notch; it's very nice, nothing obvious I can fault on that at all from what I've seen. And I love being able to play it on the Mac from Day 1.

Overall I've enjoyed the game so far, but I'm looking at the game through a weird lens: I'm a newbie working to be an indie, looking at your game for tips on polish and achievable animation methods. It's hard to play a game as just a regular plain player anymore.

12. GBC

GBC New Member

Hi,

thanks for the feedback. I do agree that it's difficult, if not impossible, to get a good sense for the game in 60 minutes: we estimate that the average gamer will find at least 100 hours of gameplay in PvZ, and you will be seeing new stuff well into that timeframe... additionally, several of the game's most important elements come into play after that (and the minigames, which come into the picture later, add depth to it too).

Unfortunately, that's the limitation of the try and buy model, that works well with immediate titles, less with more complex ones. That's why channels like Steam, where pre-sales without trial are an important part, are key in building buzz (since people get to try the full game and talk about it), as well as reviews, which are naturally based on the full game.

For sure the time-limited trial isn't the only model that works, and it might not work very well for some kind of titles. Alternatives such as outright purchases are viable, but only if driven by a strong brand and by sufficient promotion. Other ways, such as subscription, pay-per-content, episodic content etc might be a better solution in some cases.

Cheers,
    Giordano

13. JGOware

Indie Author

Giordano - Fair to say PvZ is targeted toward the ultra casual player? ;)

14. hddnobjcttmmngmntmtch3rlz

Beat the entire game and got my gold medal. I think it takes a while to get into the game, but I did enjoy it. Definitely very casual.

15. hddnobjcttmmngmntmtch3rlz

Just to prove I'm telling the truth:
    [​IMG]

16. rockford

rockford New Member

17. DizzyDoo

DizzyDoo New Member

I've just played through the demo, I'm really quite enjoying myself. I'm not sure I understand the people who say that it's too casual, or that the learning curve is too small. I'm finding it quite engaging in it's gameplay right now. (Perhaps I'm secretly a casual gamer :O )

18. jcottier

jcottier New Member

That's definetly not you:
    a 2 letters name... can't be you.

JC

19. Maupin

Original Member

I've played through 2-8 (more than half the game?) on the demo and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. I'm sure there must be more strategy to what I've seen so far... maybe in later levels. Or maybe I've just played too many tower defense games? I did almost see a football zombie successfully invade my house, but luckily one of those "spellbind" mushrooms reversed his direction at the last second.

Whack-a-mole minigame. Ugh. I think that's the wrong minigame to include in a game where the main gameplay (quickly click on sunshine and money) is so similar.

The demo just doesn't really engage me to see what happens next... I do like the crazy theme and production values, however. Great idea using sunlight as a resource and having a sunflower create sunlight at night.

20. Executrix

Executrix New Member

Loved the game. Well done, team PopCap!

hddnobjcttmmngmntmtch3rlz, I fixed your screenshot for you. Now no one will have any doubt that you beat the game.
    [​IMG]