Planning Mobile Game - Which resolution at start?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Utongus, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Utongus

Utongus New Member

Hello all.
    I have question about planning a mobile game on android platform.
    On what resolution you work? It will be RPG type of game so there will be some information about character etc.

I have read that I should choose biggest resolution but tell me if I am wrong - I am thinking about using smaller resolution to check that everything is neat there. If I will be able to put everything on smaller one - it will be easy to put it on bigger resolution.

I hope you will know what I am talking about :D
    Sorry for my english.

2. Scoper

Indie Author

If you mean screen resolution, then in my experience, resolution is not a big issue. Even small devices nowadays have good resolution, so you should be able to scale up and down.
    If you mean resolution of graphics and textures then go for big. You can always scale down an image file if you need to save memory. You cannot scale up (unless you have vector graphics).

The bigger problem is aspect ratio. A game designed for one aspect ratio will often break down on another, with overlapping menus, missing text, things sticking outside of the view etc. So make sure you test your game on different aspect ratios early in development.
    Also make sure that the physical size of buttons is big enough to hit with a finger on a small device. Some say minimum 0.7cm, others minimum 1.0cm. That depends on your target audience.