Pirate Software

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by voodooshaman, Jun 6, 2006.

1. delsydsoftware

Original Member

Do you have a link for Z-Modeller? I tried to find a link to it a year or two ago, but all of the download sites were gone. Is it still available?

2. Laser Lou

Original Member

I'm glad this this discussion is allowed here because I'm sure that there are others thinking the same thing.

One thing bad about today's pirated software is that they can contain trojan horse code that's hard to detect. They can also contain watermarks or other "features" to help the developer search the Internet to find out who's pirating their software. I'm not saying that certain programs are or are not hacked in such ways, but that using such programs definitely makes you vulnerable in ways that you may not expect.

3. Hiro_Antagonist

Original Member

Well, the upside to this thread not being locked is that more people have the opportunity to tell the OP that piracy isn't cool.

I just can't help but wonder if he's a student, because professionals know better.

BTW, voodooshaman, if you are a student, you can buy dirt-cheap student editions of most of the best expensive software packages for a small fraction of their original prices.

4. impossible

Original Member

www.zmodeler2.com. Google is good :). I'm glad this thread hasn't been locked because it now has a wealth of info on free and cheap alternatives to expensive software.

5. Fry Crayola

Original Member

The only thing I use that I've paid for is BlitzMax (and the IGlass module for my GUI, which is ace, but I'll just throw that in with BMax).

The reason being that everything else that I need I can get a free alternative. I have no need for Photoshop or Microsoft Office when I've got The Gimp and OpenOffice. Other things that would come in handy, I'll either source the free tool that's similar, or I'll purchase it.

Most of the truly expensive stuff is expensive for a reason - it's a powerful commercial tool (oh, ok, and the publisher can afford such a price because it will be sold :( ). The average Joe doesn't need it. Who can say they really absolutely must have a stupendously powerful 3D modelling tool? Only those people who actually want it for commercial purposes, or those passionate enough to accept that a few hundred quid for their hobby is nothing. Because it really isn't.

6. nikolas

Original Member

True, but atr least in music case, you cannot use the educational packages for commercial purposes...

Not defending anyone. As I said earlier I've bought everything I use and encourage everyone to do the same.

As for the mods not locking the thread, I find it good. It is a rather interesting discussion full of advice against pirated and illegal software. So why lock it?

7. Sakura Games

Original Member

Is the same for ALL software, read well the licenses. The educational versions CANNOT BE USED to produce commercial titles - I think nowadays shareware is considered commercial ;)

8. Hiro_Antagonist

Original Member

Whoops -- my bad. I didn't realize that. :eek:

9. Laser Lou

Original Member

There's also, well, medium-end software that isn't quite high-end or low-end (i.e. Corel, Truespace). They may not be "a la mode", but they may have the features that you need.

10. Laser Lou

Original Member

BTW, you can use the educational versions of Adobe software to produce commercial titles. Its licensed for that.

11. delsydsoftware

Original Member

Thanks for the link. :)

Since we're talking about free and cheap alternative tools, Deep Paint 2 was released for free last year:

http://www.download.com/Deep-Paint/3000-2191_4-10398243.html?tag=lst-2-7

It's pretty powerful, and you can't beat the price. :rolleyes:

12. oNyx

Original Member

I'm using a second hand copy of photoshop 6. Bought it for 24.52€ at ebay (shipping included). I really tried my best using gimp, but it was too much of a pain in the rear. Well, for now I'm fine with 6.0 (I could upgrade to cs2 for 200 bucks or so). [Photoshop Elements wasnt an option, because it lacks essential features. You also cannot upgrade it.]

The rest of the software I'm using is free (eclipse, svn, inkscape, cobian backup, wings...). Hm... except textpad, which I havent registered yet, because I dont have a credit card. *nag* *nag*

13. Robert Cummings

Original Member

Last I checked, it supported layers and hence correct alpha export just fine.

14. electronicStar

Original Member

Nowadays there are enough free solutions to avoid piracy.
    a few years ago , it was a bit different and there were some software you were obliged to either pay for (unaffordable for most people) or warez. One example was 3DS max.I for one chose not to create 3D models until I could afford it legally.
    But nowaday the free and open source software are more numerous and sometimes work better than the commercial software. And there is also a lot of cheap and very performant software (paint shop pro for example) so there's really no reason to use pirated software.

15. Level_Designer

Original Member

Interesting Topic. As said most other forums would lock this already. There is also a lot of good points made here.

16. Savant

Original Member

No, it supports transparency which isn't the same thing as alpha channels.

17. Laser Lou

Original Member

It really matters. I don't feel very good about people who pirate software made by small, independent developers; I see it as a real tresspass. About those who pirate software made by larger companies, I see it more as a faux pas, like fake jewelry.

18. GBGames

Indie Author

As far as locking this thread and banning the original poster, I think that it would have been a bad move. I don't believe it helps to cut someone off, especially if he/she took the time to ask about it. Clearly this person knows that copyright infringement is wrong, and I think the talk about what tools people use is useful. There is a lot of free or cheap alternatives that are powerful enough for most indie needs.

The alternative? "You are banned! How DARE you talk about something that could get us in trouble with the BSA!" And then where does that leave the person who is thinking about the consequences of not going legit? With a bad taste in his mouth about the idea of getting legitimate licenses for his software needs.

Presumably most of you wouldn't immediately lash out at a potential customer who might email you to say, "I love your game, but I haven't paid for it yet. I was wondering about what it would be like to do so." At least, I hope not. B-)

19. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

thats true. but any customer who emails me saying he has pirated my games gets nothing. I think people need to understand that their actions are not only bad, but openly destructive. If you can't draw the line at the actual game developers pirating software, where do you draw it?
    I *want* people to feel excluded and unwelcome if they pirate software. It goes maybe 1% towards making them realise how the software developers feel when their work gets pirated.
    But on reflection, you are probably wiser and more sensible to handle this as it has been. Anyone who worked with me knows I'm an angry *old* man!

20. Savant

Original Member

I hope he at least gets an explanation of why he's getting nothing from you. Otherwise, all he's going to get is bad feelings about your company as a developer and he'll feel even more justified in stealing your next game.