Pick your politics!

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by cliffski, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Damon DuBois

Original Member

Here's a few no one has mentioned yet:

• Whether to develop nuclear arms in secret against non-proliferation treaties. And whether to threaten people with them
    • Whether to harbor terrorist organizations who may advance your political aims
    • Mechanisms (honest and dishonest) for spreading propaganda
    • Ways to encourage foreign investment
    • Whether to establish secret police
    • Funding contras in other countries
    • Whether to discreetly allow illegal drug and arms trade

2. Sunshine

Original Member

Uhhh....hey,man....Your starting to scare me :eek:

I think 'Brussel Sprouts' was the key word to activate Damon's subliminal programming.

Either that or one too many Tom Clancy books :p

3. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

The political machine is not very similar to my game. My game is more like NationStates if anything, but its a deep political sim which is based around issues. I never mention parties, strategies or candidates, funding of parties or corruption. Its a perfect world where people make informed choices on the issues and their quality of life.

4. Peter Wayne

Original Member

Although you still have to pay it back. It's free as in no up front fees. But you do have to pay it back once you start earning money after you finish or drop out. It's like a loan but without all the crap. Although I dont know all the details as I never went. And I'm not sure how it works in other countries but I'm guessing we are pretty lucky in Australia.

Bank on topic, Just remember every good game has an underworld ;). What about all the unseen and under the table stuff ;). Also what about UFO's and Area 51... LOL...

Also what about banning TV ads :). Any President that did that would be on a winning ticket.

5. Bluecat

Original Member

It's called HECS (Higher Education Contribution Scheme). Basically anyone who gets the grades can go to university in Australia (though if the course you want fills up you might have to do something else.) The Australian government pays for most of the degree through funds allocated to the university, the student is charged a certain amount depending on the course that is being done. I think, the last I heard anyway, was that it was about ten thousand a year on average. (I think the current government is getting some stick because they want to raise that amount.)

Anyway, when the student finishes uni, they go into the workforce. Once they start earning a certain level of income a tax or levy is applied and they start paying the HECS fees back as a part of their taxes. There are ways to reduce the amount you have to pay too. One guy I know had the opportunity to completely pay of his HECS debt in a lump sum before the first or second year after he completed his degree and ended up having the amount he had to pay cut substantially.

From what I can tell it's not a bad scheme, though a lot of uni students don't particularly like any system where they have to pay.

6. Damon DuBois

Original Member

LOL
    No.. not Tom Clancy books, just the news. :p

Oh well, doesn't sound like my ideas really apply to what cliffski is working on anyway.

#26 Damon DuBois, Sep 9, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2004