Pick a map

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by lennard, Oct 2, 2010.

1. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I've been showing screens for my first Endless Empires map for a few weeks now in preparation for sending the maps off to the artist working on this project. I received 3 maps back this AM to choose from - I have a favourite but would like a little confirmation before they carry on with polishing one of these starting on Monday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this is what they started from (out of Dungeon Demon):

[​IMG]

I was actually thinking that the Dungeon Demon output wasn't bad but one of the above really blows it out of the water as far as I'm concerned. BTW, for any of you strategy gamers I hope to be starting closed alpha for Endless Empires within a couple of weeks. Send me an email if you are interested in taking part.

2. barrygamer

Original Member

For me, the 2nd one. Edit - actually, I quite like the first one too, the single colour is quite nice there. Sorry, cant decide :p

3. Artinum

Original Member

I like the second one. The contrast makes everything much clearer. The first one makes it harder to tell sea from land, and both 1 and 3 are rather dark.

I rather liked the Dungeon Demon look too, but I agree that the new ones look even better.

4. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Number one by a long way, but I don't like the repeating paper texture. Also consider using an different compass design ~ one that matches the rustic and aged feel of the map.

What about adding some faint sketchy drawings in the oceans? A galleon, a whale, and a mermaid. :)

edit: order of likingness : 1 > 3 > 2 > 4

#4 Jasmine, Oct 3, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  5. Applewood

Go on then, number 2) for me also.

It might be that something other than "plain" paper is needed for the sea, but definitely not something that looks the same as the land which is what you have for 1).

I'm actually surprised anyone likes 1) or even that you posted it at all. Even if it's more realistic compared to old maps, you just can't see the wood for the trees as a game background.

6. lennard

Thanks all for the quick feedback.

Applewood, I did think about not posting since I already know that I like #2 a lot... but what you said about the water made me look at the map again. I think that maybe removing the water lines altogether would be a good idea - I like that crumpled paper look. I am enjoying the process of having feedback early and often and I'm glad I posted this because 2 comments in particular have helped to clarify my thoughts and feedback for the artist.

Jasmine I agree. I hadn't noticed before but that compass does look out of place. I would like to keep it but to have them re-render the thing so that it fits more with the look of the buttons. Not so into the dragons and old-timey stuff for this particular map but def. for some of the other maps I have in the works.

7. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Definitely the second one for me.

8. joe

joe
    Original Member

Second one for me, too, because it has the best contrast and color arrangment.

9. EJSainz

Original Member

I prefer the third one. The reason is that, imho, it will make a better thumb on the web. But if Ihad to choose between 1 and 2, I would take 2.

10. pixpusher

pixpusher New Member

I like the second one too. The wavy water lines are a nice touch. But I'm not too fond of the bold torn paper edges on #2. It looks rather distracting especially around the buttons and compass.

11. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

I dont like any of them, because they all have pretty big flaws. The first one has no contrast with the background and the land. The second one has good contrast but the shading is completely wrong and I dont see why there is another "paper" effect on the outside edge. The third one is too dark and the shading looks wrong.

Let me ask the obvious: Why is the land not silouetted against water? I.e. a reasonably faded blue tone? That would provide a bit more contast wouldnt it?

The buttons are a horrible sight and the compass definitely needs work.

12. Applewood

I just meant posting the #1 picture...

13. BarrySlisk

Original Member

Best to worst:

3rd
    2nd
    1st

14. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Second one is my favourite.
    You're making a Lux/Risk clone? it's a pretty saturated market :eek:

15. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Or is it that you can't see the trees for the wood? ;)

But I don't think it's like that at all. The boundaries in #1 are bolded enough, and the use of wavey lines make it easy to distinguish land and ocean at a glance. The common shade of brown makes it very easy on the eye, and overall the map gives me a comforting feeling. I have no trouble at all seeing the layout of the territories.

The white ocean of #2 feels very contrasting, making the land masses jump out in a way that isn't comforting ~ it's almost a distraction as I notice that contrast more than I notice the layout of the territories, which is not how it should be, imo.

I've tried using paper edges a few times in programs in the past, for maps or books or letters, but I've always ended up deciding that my pictures look better without them.

#15 Jasmine, Oct 3, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  16. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

1st and 3rd... not sure which I like better

17. electronicStar

Original Member

I like #1, with maybe a clearer brown.
    I find #2's color choice ugly for some reason.
    On #3 there is a clash between the dirty texture on the land and the much smoother texture on the water.

18. lennard

It is but I've wanted to make one of these games for about 5 years... I also play Conquer Club every day and feel that I can bring some new things to the genre. I'm jazzed to be making a game in this genre and expect to be making new maps for this engine for a long time.

I'm leaning towards:

1. Using map #2 with the crumpled paper at the edges.
    2. Aged compass
    3. I like those buttons
    4. Continents with a similar color
    5. The region font will be different because I color and apply at run time.

Thanks for all of the feedback, within about 18 hours I was able to refine my thoughts with everybodies help which is pretty cool.

19. twobitart

twobitart New Member

It's "Eastern" not "Estern" U.S. ... ;)

20. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

^ I like the O in the compass. E is "East", O is "Over that way" :D