Photoshit Question

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Applewood, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Acord

Acord New Member

No problem - it's hard to relay tone in an online forum. Once I figured that out, I quit being totally combustible :)

2. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Try something like PhotoImpact. It's easy to use, and while it's not a good program for pixel editing, it's a great all-rounder like Paintshop Pro, but with better (I think easier) layer/transparency editing. Plus, the jpeg/png save dialogue is the best around. Ignore that Corel have decided to target it at the scrapbooking market. The program has served me as a solid Photoshop replacement for years.

3. Sysiphus

Original Member

dunno...

being doing(with Photoshop for all 2d) game artwork for many games, pixel art ones(doing all artwork myself, in very little time) for mobile games, textures, concept art, games/mmedia GUIs stuff...

I find it close to perfect...just if I don't find a way, it has depth enought to try another bazilion ways...

Not that I did not enjoied DP or DA, but...

4. Jim Buck

Indie Author

PhotoImpact looks decent. Will give it a try next time I need to do some programmer-editing. Thanks for the tip.

5. Acord

Acord New Member

So hard not to make a joke with all the DP and DA references...

Seriously though, what's being referred to? I used to have an old prog called DeluxePaint 2. Sadly, it got relegated to a zip disk and never burned to a CD, so it's as good as lost.

Not a bad program for doing sprite work. I quite liked it. But there were only two "pages" that you could flip back and forth, so it was difficult to create animation with.

6. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

I disagree! I've solved plenty of programming problems using photoshop, and it's a very powerful programmer's tool. I once even solved a force-feedback issue with it.

I probably don't even know about half of its features though, but the same probably goes for all of its users.

As for the usability bit, there might be a grain of truth there. If 3ds max was "the only game in town", people wouldn't be so quick to criticize its usability. And no, gimp isn't comparable to photoshop.

7. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

There was also a program called 'deluxe paint animator' which was basically dp2e tweaked to support animations.

Anyway, if you liked deluxe paint, you might be interested in the original authors' new program, project dogwaffle. There's also an open source program in the spirit for deluxepaint called grafx2.

8. Spore Man

Indie Author

WTF man, just move the damn layer using the move tool and alpha moves with it!

9. Diragor

Original Member

Exactly what I thought when I read this thread, but then I thought I must not understand exactly what he's trying to do. It couldn't be that easy, could it?

10. Maupin

Original Member

Somehow the layer was split into separate RGBA channels, I assume from wherever he exported the image.

11. Applewood

The somehow was me extracting it from the TGA, otherwise it didn't get saved out with alpha in it and my sprites went solid.

As it is I need to munge it back in to the image, move it, then extract the alpha again before saving.

Ah well. Maybe this'll make sense one day.

12. jcottier

jcottier New Member

You shouldn't have to do that step.

JC

13. Applewood

Shouldn't have to do most of those steps ;)

After I do that thing you showed me the other day, if I save that out as a TGA there is no alpha in it. Even if I tell it to save as 32 bit and not 24.

Probably a bug in TGA support - it doesn't look like it'd be the first!

14. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Yes, you should search for an updated plug-in for your TGA exporter. I remember that this format was badly supported at some point.

But just to come back from the initial issue... You shouldn't work on TGA file format. You should work in PSD and export to TGA only when you are done. Basically, to give you a 3D analogy, imagine that you work with max, export into your on 3d file format (or 3DS for example) then everytime you want to update your model, you re-import the model back to max. When you do, that, you just loose many datas in the process that make your effort allmost useless. This is excatly what is happening with what you do with tga.

my 2p ;)

JC

15. Applewood

Yep, I do that. I keep all my PSD's in one folder and all my final(ish) data goes into another.

The latter is in TGA format as its the most streamlined to load in. (Prior to a pass through my texture optimising tools anyway).

The reason the file you saw already had the alpha extracted was because I expected it to just work like that anyway and was the root cause of my problem. Now I extract, save out, then bin it.

16. Nikster

Original Member

I think you misunderstand, by programmer tool, I mean a tool that's clearly written by programmers for programmers, your blenders and other tools that make more sense to people with programming knowledge than just a bare bones artists.. make sense ?

17. Jim Buck

Indie Author

I'm very curious to know how someone solved a force-feedback issue with Photoshop.

18. Applewood

They probably forced it into a place it didn't want to go!

19. Spore Man

Indie Author

bizarre.
    I just tested it and he's right... the image gets flattened and the alpha dropped out. The checkbox for "alpha channels" gets disabled.

Now I remember why I switched to PNG
    :p

20. Applewood

TGA is an intermediate format for us - the engine will load them directly but we have a optimise formats that it prefers, so I could switch that to PNG (or both) without too much pain, in theory. But...

Older members might remember me posting on here asking if anyone has source to load a PNG in one file instead of needing about 90 odd and ideally without useless source and options littering every second line. I guess someone somewhere might actually want a VAX build for 9-bit cpu's, but I don't.

That libpng library is an abortion and I won't have it in my building. There are a similar number of messy files to load a single image than there are in my entire 4x platform game engine.