Peter Molineux interview on PC games

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Jack Norton, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Jack Norton

Indie Author

2. papillon

Indie Author

If he just grumbled there was no innovation I could sigh in frustration at hearing that yet again from someone who obviously doesn't look past the top 10 games to see all the weirder stuff that IS being released... but from what he actually says, I'm not sure he's actually even aware of the top10s. From the exact game titles he lists, he has no idea when popcap, reflexive, etc, first got going.

3. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Jeez, wish this guy would change the friggin record!

All he does is complain about the state of the industry lately. Its like, he's turning into a cantankerous old git who complains because next door's cat dumped a turd on his lawn.

Er... Reflexive, Peter! Come on, you're the boss of Loinhead! Get with the game!
    None of those came out when any of the above "First Started". And I think you mean "Mystery Case Files" and "Alice Greenfingers".

Maybe his errors were a feeble stab at humour. Didn't really work, did it?

4. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Heh, "good" studd :D

5. GameGlyph

Original Member

This is coming from the guy who just a couple days ago claimed he was going to revolutionize AI by a "billion." I have a hard time listening to Molyneux anymore because just about everything that comes out of his mouth just isnt worth it anymore.

I loved Populous, Syndicate, and all the old Bullfrog games...but what has he done recently thats relevant?

6. Speckled Jim

Original Member

I can't say I have any time for molyneux, since he's consistently over promised and under delivered for years, but you can't really knock his assertion. The casual market is full of the same old crap. But then so is the AAA market. The same tired old crap sells, so people will continue to churn it out.

7. papillon

Indie Author

The casual market is full of a lot of games that are very similar. There are also many games in it that are NOT rehashed clones. They are often not *noticed* by people complaining about them, because if they did not become smash hits or spawn a horde of clones themselves, people just glancing at the top list of BFG every now and then to form their opinion of the state of the industry won't ever see them. :) There are a lot MORE clones than there are new and exciting things, but that's hardly surprising, it's faster to make a variant on an existing theme.

8. berserker

Indie Author

I loved his recent game called Fable TBH. This is quite enjoyable casual RPG gameplay of some sort.
    ________
    Babimac

#8 berserker, Feb 21, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  9. Coyote

Indie Author

Yeah, he ceased to be relevant years ago. But he's good for sound bites.

Something to note for the future: If you are explosive, quotable, and controversial, you'll keep getting interviews and attention.

10. cliffski

He taught me that :D

11. Coyote

Indie Author

Glad you learned something of value during your stint there, Cliff... :D

12. OremLK

Indie Author

Molyneux has been all talk for quite awhile now. It's nothing new.

As for his comments about the casual market, they're somewhat true. The main problem is not that people keep making games in the same few genres (this is the same thing that happens in the hardcore market), it's that the core mechanics are so simple that there's very little room to innovate in the small ways that make a game feel fresh.

13. amaranth

Original Member

My neighbor is a huge casual game fan, and when ever a MCF-type game comes out, she usually buys it immediately. I wonder how she would feel if I told her that all MCF clones had been outlawed by BFG... No, I know what she would do! She would scream like a crazy woman, drive down to Seattle, pound on the front door at BFG, and hold the company hostage until they allowed MCF clones to be made again.

Okay, maybe she wouldn't hold anyone hostage, but this woman LOVES those MCF clones!

14. Jack Norton

Indie Author

woot then actually you could be pirate bay's best friend but make noise to get attention and interviews!!!?? I caught you... :D

15. arcadetown

Somewhat true but not really. There is an overload of hidden object and diner dash type games but compare that to all match-3s a while back. So now the market produces more genres than previously, and suspect titles such as Build A Lot will bring new genres on bear.

16. Davaris

Original Member

Is this the same guy who said you can't make a good game with less than 100 people? Hmmm... I wonder if he's feeling a little threatened by the growth of the casual games industry? If I was a fat cat who makes my living off of games with 10 million dollar budgets, I would as well. :D

17. tagged

Original Member

He peaked at Dungeon Keeper for me... ;)

18. Teq

Teq
    Original Member

I thought he made his money through selling game companies after making said games? :)