Permisson for Game Information

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by bob123, Apr 4, 2006.

1. bob123

Original Member

I am starting a website, hard to describe it right now but, in the beggining it will not sell any games most likley. So if I am going to have a description of a game, a few screenshots, and maybe a review would I have to ask for permisson from the author? I would obviously include a link and maybe the developer/publisher.

If I would want to include a demo or online version of the game, I am almost completley sure that I have to ask. But then some websites like Reflexive Arcade(I think?) have a affilate program for selling games where you just have to sign up.

Would people most likley let me put a little information about a game online, or maybe a demo if I asked first. I see no reason not to because it will only bring more traffic.

edit: Another question, I was looking at advertising prices, what is a impression? Sorry for any questions that may seem obvious.

Thanks,
    Bob

#1 bob123, Apr 4, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  2. Tom Ohle

Original Member

Generally, if you're not profiting from the use of a game's images and whatnot, I don't think anyone's going to have a concern... think of every game-review website out there... they certainly don't check for permission every time they post a screenshot. Most companies would be happy about the promotion.

As for your second question... every time someone sees an ad, that's an impression.

3. papillon

Indie Author

While many sites *do* it, please do not hotlink graphics without permission. It's annoying and bandwidth-sucking. :) Copying it and using it on your own site with attribution is preferable.

4. Davaris

Original Member

Is it possible to block this kind of thing?

5. Tesa

Original Member

Partially, yes. Most common method is to check the HTTP referrer, and if it doesn't match the same site as the image, or any other approved site, serve an error message or a small image stating that inline linking images isn't appreciated. Requires that you can rewrite URL's or replace content on the fly (either mod_rewrite-style or by having images served by scripts).
    This obviously won't work for people who use browsers that blank out referrers, but it catches some of the bandwidth leech.

Another method is to generate a temp-session URL for each image. E.g. the session gets spawned when the user browses a page, and all images have the session ID or an obfuscated timestamp prepended in the URL path. Eventually, the session expires, and if someone has inline linked an image with that session-ID embedded in the URL outside of your session scheme, it will no longer be valid.
    This solves the image linking for blank referrers as well, but requires either controlling obfuscated timestamps or keeping track of non-expired sessions for each image request.

6. papillon

Indie Author

I often need to hotlink my own things elsewhere - and don't really want to cut off people who ARE actually advertising my game - so I mostly just keep an eye on things and block specific referrers who are using graphics out of context in an abusive way. like a random blogger who decided to use my Alien Flux fluffy as an illustration in a story he was telling. jerk. :)

7. kay.altos

Original Member

Just became a Reflexive affiliate and do not ask any other permissions.

Actually if you have good targeted site (at least no china traffic) everybodey would be tank you for that.

Internet is a public place so you can point to another site (even with hot linked images) any time. But you should avoid using copyrighted materials on your site.