PC->Mac ports to become irrelevant?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by tentons, Mar 9, 2006.

1. tentons

Indie Author

Interesting article about Intel Macs running Windows apps. It would certainly open up our markets if suddenly Windows-only games could run on Macs. There's no official support for this happening, but there's no official resistance to it, either.

2. Phil Steinmeyer

Original Member

First of all, it's all based on an on-line survey of only 255 people. Small sample size, only a survey, and on-line all lead to low overall credibility.

Second, I think they're assuming that Macs could flawlessly run most Windows apps. I really doubt this. Emulation of a complex system like Windows is never going to be perfect.

I do think Mac market share will grow, but nothing like the quadrupling they predict. My guess is that Mac market share, worldwide, will go from about 3.0% now to 4.0-4.5% over the next 3-4 years. And developers wishing to reach that market will need to develop fully ported Mac apps - emulation is not the solution (except for a very small percentage of Mac users)

3. GBGames

Indie Author

And I really wish someone would tell that to the mainstream developers who think that Cedega is good enough to get their games on Gnu/Linux systems. I want native clients, please.

4. Chozabu

Original Member

Wine emulates(wraps, whatever) most things ok now
    it mainly has probs with:
    • cutting edge windows api
    • newish directx api
    • some copy protection
    • *really* old vers of directx i think

I think if apple were to throw a good few developers on the wine project, it could become a quite a good solution...
    native ports are still preferred of course

Seriously, its not too hard to make a app cross platform is it?
    for windowing/widgets use gtk, qt, fltk or one of several other options
    if you just want a plan window where you do your own graphics (2d or 3d) SDL is very easy, and should work fine...

If there is a major showstopper, id love to hear about it!

#4 Chozabu, Mar 9, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  5. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Well, there's a certain packaging that app's for Mac have to sit inside to be used by normal users. However, I guess if there was a tool to generate and make these packages with wine embedded in to it, it could streamline things.

A side note about Wine. I run Fedora Core 4 on my server, and have tried running some of my games and prototypes on it via Wine. Some stuff worked, but most of their input code wouldn't work. These were all using Allegro's input code (mouse, keyboard). SDL might be more forgiving on wine, but that wasn't a good sign.

6. princec

Indie Author

I don't actually port my games anyway... they just run...

Cas :)

7. Julio Gorge

Original Member

The analyst forgets that the vast majority of users will still be using PowerPC-based Macs for the next few years :cool: .

Furthermore, when you now port a game to Mac OS X, you must make sure it works on both(PPC and Intel) architectures. I don't think porting has become easier, but a bit more complicated. You now need access to an Intel-based Mac for testing, need to add some extra checks here and there.. etc

8. Oaf

Oaf
    Original Member

Of course! Now I've got a perfect excuse to buy one! :D

9. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Still, I know I've been tempted by the Intel Macs and unless something really surprising happens, that's what my next computer will be.

Mmmmm.

And I tells ya, I know what OS I'll be using for my day-to-day web-surfing and that. And it ain't WinXP.