PayPal petition for Plimus.

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by ErikH2000, Mar 9, 2006.

1. ErikH2000

Original Member

I know it's come up a few times that having PayPal available as a payment method through Plimus would be really helpful. For myself, it would be the single most important addition to their service, since I know I'm losing sales from lack of providing it (particularly in Europe where credit cards are less prevalent). I'm thinking of making a quick little petition here to collect some names and then send off to Plimus. The idea is not to come across as pissed off or demanding. The idea is to demonstrate that PayPal support is a really important feature for them to add.

Here is my proposed petition text. I mean to keep it very simple:

I'll wait for a little feedback here, and after that give instructions for joining the petition (it will just be e-mailing me with name, company name, e-mail address, and Plimus account name if available). Assuming I get a little support for the idea here, I'll post the petition on the ASP newsgroup as well.

Please, let's not turn this into a discussion of other payment processors that could be used instead. There are other good ones out there that have PayPal as a payment method--I know, I know. But for whatever reasons, I really like Plimus, and this is about fixing one of its flaws. Also, I understand that I can use a backup processor for PayPal orders (I use BMT) or provide multiple order links, but this is much less than ideal for reasons I won't elaborate. Consider that existing topics already discuss other solutions to the problem, so I'd rather not rehash them here.

What I'd like to know is how you feel about the petitition text or the approach itself. Please, don't make a sport of criticism, but constructive feedback is appreciated.

-Erik

2. soniCron

Indie Author

Not only do I think it is well thought out, but I think it's a very effective and proactive method of persuasion. I'm surprised nobody came up with this earlier, and I'm really glad you're heading it up now! I long ago decided to use Plimus for various reasons (cost, their business practices, etc.), and I've been pondering the PayPal problem for a while. This could very well sway their decision not to support PayPal. Great idea, Erik, and count me in!

3. DrWilloughby

Indie Author

I'm in too. I have lots of people asking me for Paypal.

4. Ryan Clark

Indie Author

Grubby Games will join the petition. The wording looks good to me.

We currently refer people to our RegNow purchase page when they want PayPal, which we'd rather not have to do (RegNow takes a higher cut...)

5. yanuart

Original Member

count me in ! where do I sign up ?

6. Rubs

Original Member

I'm in also.

7. Gnatinator

Original Member

Throw me on that list too. If Plimus dosen't have paypal support by the time my next game comes out, I will be switching to BMT.

8. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

Count me in as well.

It will keep my payment process streamlined if they accept Paypal.

9. Sharpfish

Original Member

Put me down for some of that. Plimus user here. :)

10. Nikster

Original Member

Count me in too.

11. jankoM

Indie Author

Count me in. I am planing to move all of the cheaper stuff from Plimus to BMT Micro because of PayPal.

Just a thougth ... maybe you could add a list of quotes from developers at the bottom (about going to RegNow, BMT) to really get them going. ;)

12. suryanievi

Original Member

Count me in also :D

13. puggy

Original Member

quick question, if you get a lot of paypal requests for payment, then why not add a paypal option rather than get plimus to do it?

You save money on charges (i infact have paypal as my primary payment system with plimus there for those who don't like paypal) and you can access your money quicker.

14. ErikH2000

Original Member

Nice response, guys. Okay, let's do this thing!

If the above petition text describes you and your opinion, please e-mail erikh@caravelgames.com, subject "PayPal petition for Plimus" and include in the message:

* Name
    * Company
    * e-mail address
    * Plimus account name (if you have one)

If you'd like to add any extra comments for me to pass on to Plimus, you can include that too. Please be polite and honest.

I may publicly post your company name as a member of the petition at some point to help rally some more joiners, but all other information will be kept confidential other than to pass on to Plimus. The petition will be sent to Plimus in a week or two without any preamble or editorializing of my own--just the statement I posted above, a list of petition members, and any extra comments passed on by individuals.

So send that e-mail!

-Erik

15. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

Count me in, I make them loads of money, and they lose maybe 15% of it to RegNow, purely because of paypal.

16. ErikH2000

Original Member

It's not a terrible solution, but there are disadvantages to having multiple order pages and multiple payment processors: a more confusing experience for the user, extra site integration work particularly if you have things happening programmatically in response to orders, more buckets for your money to end up in, problems keeping royalty pay-outs organized, and maybe one or two other things I forgot.

For me, it would definitely be better if Plimus accepted PayPal.

-Erik

17. DanMarshall

Original Member

I'm in, absolutely.

18. BinaryMoon

Indie Author

Sign me up - I've mailed you the info you asked for

19. Sharpfish

Original Member

Email sent. Let's hope it has some effect! (I have been involved in online petitions before that HAVE had positive results, but it's a numbers game I expect).

20. Arthur[VD]

Original Member

Email sent. I'm also posted info about this petition to SWRUS community.