Paying for an artist, or trying to find one to split profits?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by doomtoo, Mar 14, 2011.

1. doomtoo

doomtoo Guest

I've made several game concepts in the past, but I am a much better programmer than I am an artist.

I've realized that until I have enough time to practice, and become better at creating artwork, that I'll need an artist to do the graphics for my games (after I ensure that the gameplay/ "fun" level justifies it).

Would it be best to just hire an artist or the work I need? Or try to find one and split any money the game might make?

What percentage of the total profits should the artist get if I go the second route?

If nothing else, what resources would help me become a better artist, aside from just a lot of practice?

Thanks!

2. Chris England

Chris England New Member

I'd recommend just hiring an artist. Profit shares are all well and good, if everything turns out perfectly - which it won't. Not to mention it's harder to get people to agree to it in the first place.

They're a nightmare if you don't end up using all the art produced, or you make the game bigger, or the person turns out not to be that good, or any number of situations where the relationship or the situation around it changes.

You'd still be obliged to give them the agreed share of the profit, whatever might happen.

3. blinkok

blinkok New Member

as an artist i always prefer the 50/50 deals. if it tanks i can live with that, if it doesn't get finished i still have the assets.
    i think it should be an even split too. an artist with that commitment will see to it that EVERY party of the game is polished to the max and, if you let them, they will advise on changing gameplay and overall design to improve the appeal of the game.
    if you are going down the programmer/artist path i suggest you learn a 3D program (with animation), it was certainly the catalyst for me. there's heaps more you need to learn but the 3D proggy will get you some quick results. after that i would study colour theory (there are a few threads here on that) and character design.

4. ManuelMarino

Original Member

The split money is not good, I think, because there are so many unfinished projects.

The best is a work for hire, considering what kind of budget you can afford and create a friendly relationship with the artist for a long term working together.