Paranoid About My Domain

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Richard Nunes, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Richard Nunes

Richard Nunes New Member

Am I the only one paranoid about searching possible domain names on domain registration sites? I fear that my name will be so catchy, so brilliant that the domain registration site will steal it out from under me. I always use http://internic.net to search for domain names as a precaution. Maybe it's just me.

2. richtaur

Indie Author

Open up a bash terminal:
    Code:
    whois domain.com
    No snoopers!

3. totor

totor New Member

clever ! i just google it and check against wipo then straight to the register.

4. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

You're not paranoid... this happens all the time. +1 straight whois search

5. kraz007

kraz007 New Member

I have a problem with plurals (or singles) or people who squat on the .net and .org versions of your domain once you gain some popularity. Not to mention all the country domains!

6. Mike Wiering

Original Member

I finally got the .com for my company name today, which was hijacked back in 2002 after I registered only the .nl. They kept sending me offers to buy it for thousands of dollars, which I ignored. Finally, after 10 years, they let the domain expire.

The whois information actually had javascript code hidden in the legal notes to open a URL! If you'd look it up from an online whois service, they could probably tell that someone had shown interest in the domain.

7. ryansumo

ryansumo New Member

Richard, did you mean your name in particular? ie richardnunes.com?

8. Richard Nunes

Richard Nunes New Member

I was talking about domains in general.

I don't think my name is even taken... I'm clearly not famous enough. I suppose I should register my own name in case I become famous but that is a side discussion entirely.

It is tougher and tougher to find a unique name that isn't being used or squatted and sites that grab up domains at the slightest interest make things worse.

9. CasualInsider

CasualInsider New Member

Yes, you should register your name and put a picture of your cat up on it, and then be grateful your name is uncommon. Some of us are not so lucky.

If you suck at coming up with ideas and your obvious keyword is taken then use something like:
    http://www.leandomainsearch.com/

Plenty of generic keywords + your idea keyword combinations and some of them won't suck.