PanicBCN

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by EJSainz, Jul 4, 2006.

1. EJSainz

Original Member

Hello!

After quite a long time developing, here is the result of all my efforts. Let me introduce you to PanicBCN, a monoscreen platform game (like Bubble Bobble, Snow Bros or Tumble Pop) in which you'll have to get rid of hundreds (probably thousands) of enemies all over 144 levels, including 3 bosses in 9 different (and defying) levels.

Screenshots:

ScreenShot 1

ScreenShot 2
    ScreenShot 3
    ScreenShot 4

Download Demo:
    PanicBCN - Preopen Installer

The game has been tested on Windows XP and 2000, with DirectX 8.1 . It requires a 3D accelerated graphics card with aproximately 64MB VRam, and 128MB Ram of system memory. I've tried to maintain the CPU and memory consumption as low as possible, so if anybody has a very old machine with a 3D graphics card, I'd like to know about the performance of the game.

I'm also interested on any bug or glitch you may find, and also in the texts - since English is not my mother language, I'm sure there will be hundreds of problems with the texts, so please report.

Any other suggerence and opinion on the gameplay, graphics, sound, music, etc. will be also welcome. Thank you all in advance.

2. RohoMech

Original Member

worked fine on my old geforce2 mx
    found an english error
    "you've awaken an stun..." should be "you've awaked a stunned..."

also, in the instructions you say "HIT" button, but not which key it is, so it took me a bit of time to figure it out (I also expected the space bar to be the button, not the control key).

Overall the game is fun, I did not like how the character slides around when moving, but hitting enemies was fun.

3. electronicStar

Original Member

Wow that looks good. Downloading now.
    The game I'm working on seems similar in the fact that it is monoscreen arcade. More comments later.

4. papillon

Indie Author

awakened. not awaked. (I assume, though I can't see the context.)

be careful whose english advice you trust! :)

5. Christian

Original Member

Hi, nice game and congratz for completing it.

I played the spanish version (soy de argentina) and it was fine, the screen where you choose the levels i found to be a little confusing though. Maybe using arrows and some tips that appear not only on the centers of the screen would help.

I think that its a good idea to make the tutorials obligatory and so easy for novice players, but i readed the instructions previously and having to review it all was a little frustrating, maybe you can do so that if i readed the instructions then i can skip the tutorials? or get rid of the instructions.

I have an amd 1.7, geforce4mx 32mb, 512 ram, no problems other than when i jump and hit with the hammer, i see a little black line bellow the hammer.

Since hitting mosnters is so important, then i guess that the visual effect of hitting should be important too, maybe you can tweak that a little to make it more fun and addicting to hit things since you do it so often, i saw an article on gamasutra on various ways of portraying hits, here i looked it for you:

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20050428/sang_pfv.htm

I liked the fight with the first boss monsters, and i noticed that there was an echo effect on the music, compared to the rest, it was spectacular, maybe you can add more of this effect to other musics?.

Many good lucks.

6. electronicStar

Original Member

Hey I've completed the demo, nice little game!

At first, I was very scared when I discovered the theme of your game and your two main protagonists, it seems that this is yet another case of people creating very similar assets while working separately(I see that happening all the time).
    You see, your girl character and your evil guy are very similar to the main characters I was planning on using .My game is also set in a magical setting and I have a girl character that looks a lot like yours, even with the same haircut.
    But when the game moved on I realised the similarity was only superficial, and the gameplay is completely different anyway, so no worries (I'll change my character a little bit to avoid comparisons).

Now on to the game:
    I can see that you have been learning your lessons in videogame History, this game system works very well , I would have definitely played that game, had it been in the arcades in the 90s, it's a nice blast from the past.
    Compared to the traditional arcade games similar to this one (my favorite is Rod Land), this game has the advantage of letting you restart at any level (instead of restarting from the beggining every time). This is of course better for the casual market but it could make the game experience much shorter, so I hope you are shipping it with a sufficient number of levels.

Now I have been very confused with the GUI and MENU buttons, several times in the settings I was clicking on a button while I was sure to click on a another one. The stage seelction screen was also confusing as hell, I don't know how I finally managed to launch the game.

I also think that the animations could be a bit more fluid, especially the main character, it looks like it's missing some frames of animation (although I reckon it would be difficult to reach the level of the japanese arcade designers)

Final word : a very nice game but make the interface a bit easier to navigate.

7. RohoMech

Original Member

<blushes> yea...sorry about that, thanks for catching my mistake :)

8. tewe76

Original Member

9. EJSainz

Original Member

Hello!

First of all, thanks everybody for your time and comments. I'll try to correct most of them, specially the one on the level selection screen, and the one about clicking where your mouse isn't. I'll also try to improve the hitting a bit, and about the animation of the girl, I'll just see what can I do - probably fake some frames, since I can't ask the original artist for doing the animation again.

Tewe, I'd be most grateful if you could send me the model of your 3D Gfx Card, along with it's DirectX Capabilities. These can be obtained with the DirectX Caps Viewer that can be found amongst the utilities of the DirectX SDK. If you don't have it, send me a private message and I'll help you with it.

Thanks again to everybody. I'll be waiting for more feedback :) .

10. jankoM

Indie Author

I got error "The procedure entry point GetRawInputData could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll" after I click on the icon.

11. bard

Original Member

A thoroughly enjoyable game! Nice joystick support, that pushed it over the top and made it really playable in my book. I like the music and the animations are really fun. The only nitpick I can make is the loading between levels. Every time it happened my gut lurched thinking my computer had stalled. :) A loading warning would ease that pain.

12. EJSainz

Original Member

OMG, I thought I had fixed that one. You must be running under 2000 or lower, aren't you. Ok, I'll have to work on fixing it ASAP.

13. jankoM

Indie Author

yes I forgot to tell, win2000

14. tewe76

Original Member

I've attached a zip with the log. I think this is what you want.
    My video card is: Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME

Attached Files:

15. electronicStar

Original Member

My initial test was with the Story mode ,but afterwards I discovered the Arcade mode and I must say it's VERY addictive, my wife had to pry me from the computer at night. Well done!

My only problem is that most of the time the computer thought that I wanted to make a super while I was trying to hit repeatedly on the villains and I lost a lot of lives because of that.
    Maybe you could give the option to use two separate buttons ,I don't know , it's a difficult gameplay decision.

16. EJSainz

Original Member

That's great to hear :D . I'm very glad you've liked it that much.

Hmmm, I really have to do something about it. When I play I have not much problems, but that's because I'm quite used to the timing of the hits. Plus, I wouldn't like to add an extra button: 4 buttons are just perfect.

Would it help if it took more time to start the super (I call it Detonation)? If that's the problem, I would add some time before starting the Detonation, and get down the Detonation time, so in the end Detonations would cost the same time amount, but it would be more difficult for the computer to understand that it's the beggining of a Detonation.

17. EJSainz

Original Member

Ok, I'll compare it with mine and some other, and then see if I can correct whatever may be going wrong.

18. NuriumGames

Original Member

Hi from bcn (it seems we are neighbours!). Nice game, love the music and wish you the best luck.

Podríem quedar un dia a prendre unes birres, no hi ha gaire gent que es dediqui a fer jocs per aquí.

19. EJSainz

Original Member

Hello, and thanks a lot! My musician will be very happy.

I la veritat, seria un plaer fer aquestes birres, des que hem vaig comprar el BreakQuest he tingut curiositat de saber que se n'hauria fet de tu. Et faig un privat, ok?