"PacDude Hero 2" - Free Game With Source!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by JeZ-l-Lee, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

OK look.

When you persistently nag for positive feedback, in a thread which most people did not reply to for whatever reason, then that's the moment you discover that a lot of people played the game, thought it stank, and kept silent as they could not find anything constructive to say.

Since you've gone on and on about it - that is why you've ended up getting both barrels from Applewood and consequently branded him "bitter" for it.

If you don't want feedback - good OR bad, then you shouldn't ask for it.

Your endless ramblings about webstats, are completely pointless. They do not indicate a large number of downloads at all. If you could show me some numbers that indicated how many people were still playing your game beyond the first 45 seconds, that would make a more interesting read.

2. Desktop Gaming

Right. Curiosity got the better of me and I just downloaded the ZIP version.

[edit] <snip - moved to other thread>

#22 Desktop Gaming, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  3. jpoag

jpoag New Member

Apparently, he's been approached by EA in the past to stop trying to sell a Tetris Clone. I wouldn't be surprised if he received future threats of legal action on both the PacDude and TetriCrisis games.

@Jex-l-Lee

I'm not responding to the other threads. In fact, you're borderlining on Spamming these forums.

I understand that you're trying to get positive feedback in order to enable yourself to make more games. A validation of your work. I get that.

Is there a market for free games with source code? Maybe, but this place isn't it. You need to do some simple market research to determine:
    • What games people want to play
    • Who wants to look at your free source code

If you ever want to make money, then you have to make games that other people want to play. If you want people to look at your source code and play your games and tell you how awesome you are, you have to go find that place.

Indiegamer Forums are about networking and game development on a professional level (for sale).

Your games:

The games are a great start, but they aren't professional quality. I've posted links before to game design books and games you should play.

You need to play a LOT of games to catch up to modern game design. Yes, I know you're into retro gameplay, but you can still wrap modern design around a retro game mechanic.

Your source code is terrible. You need to learn more about Object orientated designs and hierarchies and widgets and all sorts of stuff. Someone sent me this >link< to a free and clear GUI system that is *supposed* to be portable into a game engine.

Personally, I would say to drop your code altogether and learn something like the Playground or PopCap framework. Yeah, with Playground you won't get Linux/Ubuntu builds, but that market is really small for casual games.

So:
    • Read up/Play up on Casual Game Design
    • Do market research
    • Learn a game engine framework and stop spreading yours.
    • Stop Spamming the forums

4. voodooshaman

Original Member

I downloaded it and played it expecting a load of crap given what's been said. But it was a lot better than I expected - as a throwaway piece of freeware it's fine (even if it smacks of 'my student project'). As a commercial venture, it needs an incredible amount of work.

But ... what's your aim with the game? Is it to drive traffic to your website? If that's the case, you may as well write a simple game like this to be playable in a browser rather than a download.

Some things I noticed that could be improved:

The next level starts immediately after completing a level; you might want to introduce some some sort of 'completion ceremony' to the player; give him a sense of progression, reward and an idea of how much more is to come.

I only played the first two levels, but you'd probably want to introduce some variety to the graphics in later levels to maintain player interest.

Was there a full screen-option? Maximising the window skewed the aspect-ratio on a 16:9 screen.

Oh and Namco (or whoever owns the licence these days) will probably tell you to take it down due to copyright infringement anyway (there's been no effort to even disguise the fact that you're copying that game).

I think people are being harsh as they expect to receive feedback posts for games intended as commercial ventures; not 'my student project'.

5. JeZ-l-Lee

JeZ-l-Lee New Member

Hi,

Thanks to all who have played "PacDude Hero 2".

I'm far from the best game programmer
    and the game is definitely not the best PacMan game either.
    (I accept both of those facts)

I must warn that I'm not easily discouraged,
    so I plan to continue working on my current game project:
    "Galaxy Taxi"
    http://16bitsoft.com/development.htm
    with a beta release later in the year.

One fact is clear to me now after all these posts:
    the SDL1.2+OpenGL 2D cross-platform game engine I developed
    seems to be operating extremely well and without any problems.

I've got two other games released and hope others can play them too:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "TetriCrisis 3 100% C.P.U."
    http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=24570

"LettersFall 3"
    http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=24569
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been making games for over a decade.
    Some have been good and others not so good.

All of your comments (no matter how negative)
    help me to make better games in the future...

Thanks again!

JeZ+Lee
    16BitSoft
    Video Game Design Studio
    www.16BitSoft.com

#25 JeZ-l-Lee, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  6. Applewood

Great. More spam to look forward to.
    Your posts still have nothing to do with indie gaming, and this board has never been a place to put massive adverts all over your posts. I think one or two small lines in your sig is the etiquette.

I just checked and every single post you've made on this forum is basically an advert. Not a single attempt made to contribute to the shared knowledge base. My vote = eject as spammer.

7. jpoag

jpoag New Member

Interesting. So instead of taking a step back to remedy the problems that were pointed out or taking heed of advice for studying up on game design, you're going to soldier on and continue to do what you've been doing?

Do you know what the definition of insanity is? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein.

It keeps crashing on my machine and it won't go full screen. It once crashed so hard it locked up every computer in my house (connected to the network) plus the neighbor's computer who's leaching my WiFi. Two Win7 Machines, 5 Vista machines and the neighbor running XP. My Macbook was off, I haven't turned it on yet to see if it's crashed too.

My virus scanner fights with me to try and run the installer and the game. I have to add an exception for the installer and turn off the Virus Shield to run the game. (Norton Internet Security 2011)

As a professional programmer, one huge FSM is not the way to design a game engine. I think you could easily benefit from several classes, like a Rect class with a 'Contains' member for hit tests.

I'm not surprised that all your games look the same. It must be extremely painful and slow to develop.

Building your games on this engine is like building your house on sand.

<sigh> I'm not reading any negative criticisms. Nobody says "your game stinks, go and die."

8. andrew

andrew New Member

The "about" page on the website says it all..

You should do yourself a favor and learn Flash. You'll get more hits, make the same amount of money (zero), and viral distribution will keep you from getting sued for your "original" game ideas.

- andrew

9. jpoag

jpoag New Member

Seconded. He's starting to spam his own spam. Yes, we see you have 3 other posts, you don't need to link them together.

In fact, is he trying to crash the forum software with circular links? We had this forum software before and a circular link crashed it. (it was a couple of years ago).

10. JeZ-l-Lee

JeZ-l-Lee New Member

Hi,

Was just replying to other new replies.
    Last time I checked, viewing a forum post was voluntary.

JeZ+Lee
    16BitSoft
    Video Game Design Studio
    www.16BitSoft.com

11. ggambett

As long as you completely ignore the ones that say "WTF is a Tetris clone killing my 2 GHz dual-core rig" and the crash reports, sure, it works great.

12. Andrej Vojtas

Andrej Vojtas New Member

Then check again, failure to comply to community voted standards will prevent you from posting in the community forum, that's all.
    +1. I must say I was really surprised how much goodwill people on this board have to reply constructively. And thanks guys for keeping indiegamer focused.

#32 Andrej Vojtas, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011