outranked by pirates

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by manicmilkman, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Mark Currie

Indie Author

We need to step up

WoW does not have a piracy problem. They have game logic on a server. To pirate WoW, you have to recode the server logic -- that's a lot of work. For this reason, the current pirated WoW servers are terrible.

You guys should start thinking about putting some of your game logic on a server. Just put a subset of the processing there. For example, if your game has random maps, put the random map generation on a server, but you can still have the game run locally.

Everyone has Internet now so this is not a problem from the customer's point-of-view. Also, there are lots of server options these days -- you dont have to have a dedicated server. You can use Amazon's EC2, Google's AppEngine, or Microsoft Azure.

Piracy is hurting us all because each our games are competing with each-other's pirated games. We all need to step up to solve this.

2. Garthy

Indie Author

OP- I'm wondering if there is some way you can add some cheap features to the game (something fast to develop, that provides some sort of benefit), prominently label it as a later version, create your own "hack", which runs fine for a while then bombs out, and on the same day you offer the new version (only from your site, not passed on to portals), you also release the "hack", prominently labelled as the later version, to the P2P networks as a zero-day release?

I'm not familiar with your game, so the advice is very general. Could this help you at all?

3. Dushill09

Dushill09 New Member

I just loaded Pirates on my pc and cant get it to run. Im running Windows XP and my system meets or exceeds all the minimums to run the game. The game starts and I get to where the mutiny happens but then it just shuts down. Any thoughts on why this is happening?

4. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

Yesh, the SEO effect is there. Google atanua - when I released it, all I got was mythic stuff, but in a few weeks after the pad spam, you should find my logic simulator..

5. crestiksa

crestiksa New Member

well i, anti-ollie, am about to watch Ninja The Protector only a ninja can defeat a ninja which i think will give us the answer to this little debate, one way or another

well, unless someone has a copy of Pirate The Protector only a pirate can defeat a pirate then its a draw...

also, its a cutlass damnit, not a scimitar... well, unless youve got Moorish/Turkish Pirates on the high seas...

6. ChrisP

Indie Author

Good to have that confirmed, thanks!

7. jb143

jb143 New Member

Does this actually work? I had the idea to have a text array inside my game(if it's ever finished) that explains something to this effect. The key encription or other "anti-piracy" code would read data from it to assure that they see it and realize that they're hacking an indie game. Has anyone else done anything like this? It cetrainly wouldn't hurt to try, I just didn't know how effective it could be.