Our Ghosts of War - A 400km2 World War 2 Sandbox Survival Game Developed in UE4

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Pixel Perfect Polygons, May 21, 2016.

1. Pixel Perfect Polygons

#21 Pixel Perfect Polygons, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  2. Pixel Perfect Polygons

Tank Treads Rigging

[​IMG]

3. Lester Atchison

Lester Atchison New Member

Is this a war simulator game that's goal is to survive the war.

4. Pixel Perfect Polygons

Hello Lester I'll respond to your questions in depth shortly. There's a lot of work going on that needs my attention. I'll do a follow-up in two or three hours. Thanks.

Bird flocking in progress.

5. Pixel Perfect Polygons

The old system used ISM (Instanced Static Mesh Components) but the new one just uses normal skeletal mesh components. There isn't another way of having birds with animations from the best of my knowledge. Here's a new update. They avoid buildings as you can now see. If someone knows another way of having bird animations but with a cheaper solution then please let us know.

6. Lester Atchison

I reckon its an world war two sandbox something a long the line of iron front.

7. Pixel Perfect Polygons

Finished Character!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lester Atchison likes this.
  8. Pixel Perfect Polygons

Finally free to respond. I'm sorry it's taken this long.

To me what I want to work on isn't the war is horrible aspect of the game but the brotherhood aspect of the game and creating a sense of community between the two sides. Whether you are with the Germans or the Americans, I want it to feel like you are surrounded by your brothers and that it's only by working together that you can take down the enemy. It's been tricky so far but we're working on it.

Brotherhood coupled with the hardcore historical accuracy and good gunplay is what I'm aiming for. The violence perpetuated between both sides would initially be simple. I am playing a lot of Manhunt for influence on how vicious I want that aspect of the game to be. Violence should have an element of cruelty similar to what was present in Manhunt. But that would come after Early Access release. The game has to be good first.

Regarding the game logic... I'd prefer to avoid speaking on that now simply because of the fact that we're still early in development. I have a good idea where I want to take things but I need to make sure we can actually pull it off. I don't want to make promises only for things to fall through because of the talent and tech at our disposal.

9. Pixel Perfect Polygons

10. Pixel Perfect Polygons

It's happening! Bird poop!

[​IMG]

11. Lester Atchison

Keep me informed on what happens.

12. Aevien

Aevien New Member

This is realy looks good!

13. Pixel Perfect Polygons

This our first attempt at an Our Ghosts of War title screen. The music will definitely be replaced. We are experimenting with the kind of ambiance we want to set when players first start up the game. Additional rain and water VFX are being worked on.

14. Pixel Perfect Polygons

Idle Animation - 99% finished. It's subtle but we're going for as realistic as we can make it. That goes right down to the soft breathing of the soldiers (which is only noticeable from the side perspective).

15. Pixel Perfect Polygons

16. Pixel Perfect Polygons

Florian and I review his progress with the German Tiger I tank. We're at the moment going for the most realistic depiction of tank combat we can manage. If this however ends up not being as much fun for players we'll end up toning the simulation aspect down for playability. And as always we would be ever grateful if you could help us get the word out about the game. Thanks for checking us out.

#36 Pixel Perfect Polygons, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  17. Pixel Perfect Polygons

18. Pixel Perfect Polygons

We're very excited to have brought on Fernando yesterday. He is a very talented gameplay coder who reached out to us on the Unreal forums to handle movement for us. So far we have walking, crouching, running, and swimming wrapped up. More to come soon.

19. Pixel Perfect Polygons

20. Pixel Perfect Polygons

Just struck a deal. We're working exclusively with Quixel now. The level of fidelity we can now deliver WILL make your jaw drop. #Megascans here we come.