Our first PC game

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by super_e, Sep 16, 2004.

1. super_e

Original Member

Hi Guys,

After spending several weeks of hardwork, we're finally almost finished with our first ever PC game. We've been doing handheld games for the past 4 years and this is our first venture into the PC casual/indie game market. We are currently running a beta and would like to invite more people to try our game. Unfortunately, due to our past "sad" experiences, we opted for a "closed" BETA program this time. If you are interested to help out in testing this game, please register on our forums (http://www.esoftinteractive.com/forums/) and drop us an email at beta@esoftinteractive.com.

While we can't promise any compensation for your BETA testing help, we can at least furnish you a copy of our game once its finished. Please see the screenshots below and a brief summary of the game.

Thanks a lot!

Erick
    http://www.esoftinteractive.com/

===================

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Traffic Jam Extreme is a sliding-car puzzle game and a deluxe PC version of our popular handheld game. Untangle the vehicles and eliminate traffic within the streets of Stresstropolis!

Key features:
    - 150 challenging puzzles!
    - Cool graphics and sounds
    - Over 40 different cartoon vehicles
    - Fun for the family!
    - Multiple player profiles
    - High score table
    - Full screen/windowed mode feature
    - Play offline and unlimited play!

System requirements:
    RAM: 64MB
    Disk space: 16MB
    Direct X 7.0 or higher

Edit: Replaced screenshots with bigger ones. :D

#1 super_e, Sep 16, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  2. botman

Original Member

Hi, it looks really good. I like the graphical style.

Couple of things. On the map screen, "Start Here" is pointing to the biggest city. It looks like it would make more sence to start at the smallest one and get bigger (and busier) as you go along?

Second, a few of the car graphics really look like they were lifted from the origional GTA. I guess it's hard to make a top-down 2D car look unique, but yeah, some of them are in the 'too-close-to-be-a-coincidence' basket.

Good luck with it!

3. Sunshine

Original Member

There is already a game called Traffic Jam, and it is bad-ass, alot better than what you got there.

I think you should change the title, it is fairly confusing and if they see the other one they will buy it instead.

Sry. :eek:

4. Sunshine

Original Member

PS - I believe Botman may be correct. I personally do not believe all of those graphics are original.

5. super_e

Original Member

Thanks for the comments guys.

Honestly, I did all those graphics/vehicles from scratch based on some vehicle blueprints I got from the internet. Of course I had to change a few things as well as scaling so we won't get sued by the vehicle manufacturers. Anyway, I guess I should've probably posted the larger screenshots so you can see better. I feel really sad you found it "lifted" off from another game when it isn't. Oh well.

Also, the title was based from our handheld game (Palm OS, Pocket PC) which was created and released 4 years ago (called Traffic Jam). However, I wasn't aware that there's a similar game also called "Traffic Jam". I found a web game when I searched on google a while ago, is that what you were referring?

botman: "Start Here" was pointing to the biggest city because it was a screenshot of a game that was already in the last stage. :) Sorry for the confusion.

6. botman

Original Member

I thought as much. :p

As for the graphics. I didn't say they actually are lifted, only they are very similar to GTA's (http://www.rockstargames.com/gta/cars/vicecity.html). Though when I look at yours closer, they are indeed different. Bigger scrrenshots might help as you said. :p

#6 botman, Sep 16, 2004
  7. super_e

Original Member

Whew! When I saw the link you posted, I was relieved to find out that our artworks didn't look similar to GTA's after all. :) Thanks for posting that link botman!

Anyway, I replaced the screenshots with bigger ones now. :D Thanks again for the feedback guys!

- Erick
    http://www.esoftinteractive.com/

#7 super_e, Sep 16, 2004
  8. Sirrus

Original Member

The game looks quite nice (haven't had a chance to try it out yet though).

Sunshine: I think it would be much better to make constructive criticism. Doesn't make a good impression :)

Good job Erick,

Alex
    weaponstudios.com

9. gmcbay

Indie Author

The game looks nice. I really like the art style. The name change idea might be a good one to avoid any confusion, though I don't agree with the way it was stated (nor do I think the 'other' Traffic Jam is really all that great, but that's subjective).

I don't think the cars look particularly like the GTA cars. Yeah, there are some similarities, but only because... well, they are cars... and you're seeing them from the same top-down view.

I don't want to start an argument, but people should really go back and look at the artwork they think was 'lifted' and make sure they aren't just misremembering things BEFORE they post about it here or anywhere else.

It is rude (and possibly illegal, depending upon where you live) to make unsubstantiated claims of IP theft on a forum.

10. maksum

Indie Author

Looks nice. I haven't tried it out either, so I'm just commenting on the look for now.

I personally think the graphics are plenty original. They look really nice as well.

As for the name, there are probably no less than 50 versions of this game, half of which are called "Traffic Jam". I know, because I researched a bunch of them that were out there before I made my own :):

Mike's Traffic Jam

Anyway, I think the name is fine to keep. Like you said, you've been using it for quite a while. Looks like you've taken steps to take this concept further.

Good Luck,

Mike

11. Sunshine

Original Member

Hey, I didn't say they looked like the cars from vice city, which that link lead to.

I said they looked like the cars from GTA1. But maybe you are right, a cars a car. I have been wrong before ;)

12. Sunshine

Original Member

Sorry, I couldn't find a link to GTA1 and I don't have the disc to install to get a screenshot. Take into account, gta1, gta2, and gta3 were Immensly popular, so almost everyone that played console games is going to recognize the similarities in these images.

The other game I refered to was actually called "Traffic Jammer Deluxe"[i had to look that up] by Crystal Squid and it is very cool.

13. maksum

Indie Author

I have played Traffic Jammer Deluxe. I have also played Super e's Traffic Jam (palm version), along with several other versions, including the physical (non-video) version of Rush Hour by Binary Arts (I own it along with all the expansions). I am such a fan of the mechanics of this type of puzzle, that I wanted to see if I could program it myself and did so.

Anyway, I give that history to qualify my statement here:

Aren't those two totally different games? I mean they're both puzzle games with a "traffic" theme, but that's the end of the similarities.

Certainly not to say you're not entitled to your opinion of which is better... just seems to be a mute point since you're bringning up a game that plays completely differently.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: by the way... I agree. Traffic Jammer Deluxe is indeed a cool game.

#13 maksum, Sep 17, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  14. gmcbay

Indie Author

The cars that link goes to *are* from the original GTA.

The original GTA was split into three cities:

Liberty City
    Vice City
    San Andreas

The GTA3 series is simply running through those city names again....

But the cars on that page are the ones from the original game and shouldn't be confused with GTA3: Vice City in any way.

15. super_e

Original Member

Thanks a lot for the comments guys!

I have tried "Traffic Jammer Deluxe" and I must agree that it is indeed a great game. However, it has a completely different gameplay with mine. :)

16. super_e

Original Member