OSAKit relauched (Now free!)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by sphinx, Oct 1, 2008.

1. JGOware

Indie Author

I hope they can fix the problems with this thing. With IGLoader (Harmony?) out of the loop, I don't know of any plug in that can launch exe's in a web browser.

2. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

Yeah igL and Harmony (PlayFirst proved that) are well out of the loop for the moment. I guess I'd rather not let people "fumble" with a "maybe" solution. Quite frankly it's a great idea (OSA and the like) but it's never gonna hit the masses.

I'd rather teach others to grow their own but keep the Sandbox/Subversion(ish) tech to license. Having said that Indiepath will not be publishing source code.

#22 Indiepath, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  3. JGOware

Indie Author

Actually, OSA's product seems to work at a reasonably high percentage. I never could get IGLoader to work on my own, OSA worked the first time. :)

The auto growing browser is not a complete show stopper and appears to be just a "Blitzmax" thing at this point. (Unless someone else compiles a demo with this thing in another language and has similar results?)

4. jankoM

Indie Author

I used OSAKit in the old days when it only supported IE. By people's feedback it seemed to work on most of computers.

http://www.bravekidgames.com/winter_break_catch/ (play online)

I was always waiting for Harmony too, but I understand these plugins are quite an uphill battle with no guaranteed reward.

I think it would be hard for any plugin to become generally widespread, even shockwave after 10 years and in major portals is only at around 60% I think, but I they could be very usefull IMHO if you are making a branded site of your own where you try to build a user-base of returning visitors/users.

5. JGOware

Indie Author

Hi Janko, your game first showed up as a windowed app and then jumped into the browser area. (Which is quirky, but acceptable.) None of the auto browser growing that I've experienced. :)

6. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

My Bad... The Sandbox in IGL is just too damn strict for out-of-the-box apps, and I made it just too damn complex. If you adopt the behaviour expected in Vista your journey may be have been a bit smoother. But that's by-the-by as OSA works and it's free.

7. sphinx

Original Member

I will get my new certificate today or tomorrow at max and will upload the latest OSAKit Player and SDK and I am glad to say :

It now works on win98/Me/XP (SP1/SP2/SP3)/Vista with :
    - IE 4.0 or later or any compatible browser
    - Fire Fox (any version)
    - Opera (any version)
    - SeaMonkey (any version)
    - Mozilla
    - Google Chrome
    - Safari for windows

* No crashes for Firefox on Vista anymore :)
    * The auto resizing problem is fixed too!

The process of installing OSAKit is much easier now, the javascript will detect the browser , the existence of OSAKit and act accordingly! if it is not installed nice page (actually on same page) will be displayed with 2 steps 1. Download/Install OSAKit Player & 2. Refresh the page or click 'Here'

Will keep you all updated!

8. JGOware

Indie Author

Oooohh... happy happy joy joy!

9. Borundin

Borundin New Member

Sounds great :)
    Cant wait....

10. sphinx

Original Member

Please download the latest player from here http://www.osakit.com/downloads/OSAKitProPlayer.exe

1- Install then uninstall the player!
    2- Try http://www.osakit.com/pages/castle.html on IE first then any non IE browser after that (FF, Opera Chrome or Safari)
    3- Non IE compatible browser will ask to install the player, just do that and refresh the page.

After testing that please let me know the following :
    1- What OS do you have?
    2- What browsers did try that on (IE, FF, Opera....) and what version?
    3- Does IE automatically resized?
    4- When refreshed the page for (FF, Opera...) did it work ok or you had to close and restart the browser?
    5- When you closed the game window, do you see the game still running in memory (use Task Manager to see that)?!
    6- Any other opinions would be appreciated

Thank you very much in advance,

#30 sphinx, Oct 9, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  11. Borundin

Borundin New Member

My first tests were all on a Windows XP Sp2 machine.

Internet Explorer 7.0, no problems, no resize, Exe closed down properly

Google Chrome, no problems, didnt have to restart, no resize, Exe closed down properly

Firefox 2.0.0.14, very strange behaviour, OSAKIT progress bar shows up disappears, shows up again etc, looks like the web page is constantly reloading. The game does not start. There is no castle.exe in task manager. After about 40 seconds I close Firefox, at that point suddenly several Castle.exe shows up in task manager !?? I kill them off. I start Firefox again and try the url and get the same experience once more.

Getting closer it seems :)
    Will do some more tests later tonight on my Windows Vista PC.

12. MickyD

MickyD New Member

1) Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit edition)
    2) IE (v7) FF3
    3) Nope
    4) Couldnt see it (when using IE7)
    5) Worked very clean in IE7, though, tried FF3, and it goes to bits...

The browser area flashed a black outline repeatly...
    The status bar would state 'Waiting for www.osa,com...', then 'Stopped' over and over.
    While the above is happening, the Castle Demo window appeared, along with a small MAV dialog box.. Left alone, it started to churn out quite a few of these.
    A connection interrupted message appeared stating 'The document contains no data'
    After closing the browser down, Castle.exe still appeared in the task manager.

Still, lovely in IE7! ;)

13. sphinx

Original Member

Please try http://www.osakit.com/1oldsite/castle.html (old way of Java script) as I think the new one makes problem with Firefox,

P.S : The old one will pop up the castle window before embedding it, that's normal... I'll explain later when all is ok!

14. Borundin

Borundin New Member

New tests this time from my Vista PC.

I had the old version installed but began by uninstalling it. Note I didnt manually install the new version.

IE7, asked to download ActiveX, no problems, game started OK, no resize, exe was closing OK

Google Chrome, It crashed immediately just as before. To me it seemed that the old plugin was still in use. So tried to manually install the new OSA Kit Pro Player. After that no problems, game started, no resize, Exe closed as it should.

Firefox 3.03. Crashed immediately. Might be something with my configuration that is the problem here? Anyway managed to start it in safe-mode. Then it crashed when opening http://www.osakit.com/pages/castle.html
    However the old url (http://www.osakit.com/1oldsite/castle.html) worked OK, game started, no resize, Exe was closing.

15. MickyD

MickyD New Member

Trying the second link, the OSA loading bar appeared, seemed to load okay, but when it came to opening the game, I get a MAV dialog box again (FF 3.0.3)

16. sphinx

Original Member

17. MickyD

MickyD New Member

No good, that made it worse... A small dialog popped up stating:-

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Buffer overrun detected!

Program: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated.

And another million MAV dialogs!

18. sphinx

Original Member

Please try again for another little change :( also plz clear your browser cache!!)

Sorry for asking more and more but I can not duplicate your bug so no other way but asking you and every one has the same problem

#38 sphinx, Oct 10, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  19. Borundin

Borundin New Member

20. JGOware

Indie Author

Under IE7: When you click in the game window, the browser's window changes color as if it doesn't have the focus. You then have to click twice on the window bar to get it to focus.