Opinions on fair percentages of profit-sharing??

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by SilentJon, Dec 14, 2016.

1. SilentJon

SilentJon
    Expand Collapse

Hi guys, I know I'm venturing into uncharted territory and I already know most games don't succeed, etc. But despite that I would like to get all of the advice anyone (especially those with experience) might have with this situation...

Essentially I am making a game and I'm wanting to get my friend involved to help me out, lighten some of the load, etc. That sort of thing. Here's the deal:

- First game, no money, passion project, etc.
    - I have the story written, including total main plot, will be responsible for all of the main dialogue (not that's there's all that much really...)
    - I'm doing all of the art, graphics (3D modeling/texturing), programming (Unreal blueprinting), etc. (learning these last two so it's a big investment - however, my ability to do the last one is the only real scary venture but I'll manage I'm positive [it just won't be fun necessarily.])

My friend essentially would be:

- probably (hopefully) be doing most level designing (layout, puzzles... I'll still be doing some, however)
    - and helping concept some enemy concepts(non-art)/gameplay elements ... maybe/probably(almost surely), respectively
    - sharing some writing responsibility, editing/critiquing and from there just mainly just world-filling documents, names of items, etc.

So that's about it. Obviously I'd be doing the lion's share. And I honestly could do basically everything, but I just think it will be a better game with his ideas for level interactions, etc. It also just would be nice to get some help, get him involved, give him some credit, and most of all get him some money (hopefully [and substantial even more hopefully...]).

As far as splits go, with this scenario, what would you guys say is fair? I'm a bit unsure due to my own preferences and feelings on how difficult each aspect of production is

...as well as, frankly, just in general. What are the general rules as far as profit-sharing and each aspect of development anyway? I know there are no hard and fast rules but what is each of your views (like, say if you portioned it out between writing/graphics/programming [more complicated than that, I know...])? And (obviously) how do you think it's best to go about with my own scenario?

I look forward to hearing each of your opinions.

Thanks!

Marta Martorello likes this.
  2. The Game Vault

The Game Vault
    Expand Collapse

I would say a fair split, if you two did everything, would be 70/30 after deductions are made for costs and distribution. However, 50/50 may be more incentivizing for your friend to stick to it long term. It just depends what you both are comfortable with. I suggest talking it out thoroughly to avoid confusion. You should also make sure you set a goal for the game. Is it just for fun or a learning experience. Then a more equal split would be appropriate. If you hope to achieve a commercial product then maybe set a profit sharing plan based on sales volume. And be sure to set who owns what assets to avoid a legal headache if it bacame a popular game later on.

I'm sure you are just in the early stages, but if you would like to distribute or publish or both with a smaller, friendly company, feel free to contact me. It's best to be in contact early in development anyways. Email: mjdaniel@thegamevault.com. Good luck on the game!

3. SilentJon

SilentJon
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the input TGV. Yeah, 70/30 sounds reasonable. It's definitely something I would consider. And I can see some considerable contributions in the writing, level/gameplay/and potential enemy type designs warranting such an amount. I've done some (read: A LOT) of all of that and it's a considerable contribution (though not as much of a toil as the actual production from where I [literally] sit, but it's definitely a MAJOR aspect that potentially makes or breaks the fabric of the experience and considerably decides its reach and ceiling of success. So I realize it is vital [which is why I've opened the door to the possibility]). It's definitely a number I've been kicking around.

As for publishing, well... we're not quite ready to delve into any aspect of that as of yet, but I'll definitely keep you guys in mind for when it is time. Cheers!