OpenGL implementation over OpenGL ES 2.0?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Olofson, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Olofson

Original Member

A library that implements the legacy OpenGL API (1.x; maybe 2.x) over OpenGL ES 2.0.

Has anyone seen or heard of such a thing? My Google Fu is failing me on this one so far...

(It's not for my own projects, and porting the application code is probably not an option here.)

2. jcottier

jcottier New Member

What is the platform you are targetting?

JC

3. Icebreaker

Icebreaker New Member

The closest "out-of-the-box" solution you can get is the OpenGL mathematics "library" http://glm.g-truc.net/code.html and then write "stub methods" (for what you need, i.e glRotatef, glPushMatrix, glLightfv, etc) on the top of it.

It shouldn't be that bad unless they used register combiners, etc.

4. Olofson

Original Member

@jcottier: This is for portable devices and the like, with OpenGL ES 2.0.

@Icebreaker: Yeah, that's what I suspected...

Still not sure what the exact requirements are here, or if OpenGL support is even expected at all. Just doing the basic research, as only "3D" was specified.

Thanks!

5. jcottier

jcottier New Member

> This is for portable devices and the like, with OpenGL ES 2.0.

ok but iOS and Android support OpenGL ES 1.1 witch is VERY close from the original opengl... this is why I ask...

JC

6. Olofson

Original Member

I see - and that may be an option too. What's needed is an "exact" implementation that will actually run existing code without manual porting.

Anyway, it turns out this is not a major priority at this point - but it does seem quite doable one way or another, if it should come to that, which is all I need to know right now.

Thanks!

7. Bad Sector

Original Member

Well, of course it is doable... you have shaders, you have triangles and that's all you need to implement the whole of OpenGL 1.x/2.x, including stuff like indexed colors and polygon stipples, which strictly speaking, are part of OpenGL pre-3.x :p

Of course after some point it might be better to just rewrite the whole renderer in GLES :)

8. Olofson

Original Member

I suspect that if that was a real option, I wouldn't be doing this in the first place. ;) (NDA, so I can't be much more specific.)

9. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

The OpenGL ES 2.0 book has an implementation of the ES 1.1 pipeline as a shader. You still need to make GL ES 2.0 calls, but the features are there.

If the old code uses glBegin and glEnd, nothing is going to help that but a rewrite. Mobile devices are slower than PC.

10. Olofson

Original Member

Well, if a rewrite is needed for performance reasons, that's out of scope for this project anyway, I suspect.