OpenGL GUIs?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Aggrav8d, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Aggrav8d

Original Member

I've written my own GUI widgets but they're not very good. I've looked at some of the available systems out there (wxWidgets, GLOW, GLGUI, SDL_gui, ParaGUI, libUta, aedGUI, wGUI, GTK+, Qt, and Turska) but they don't seem to fit my reqs.

I need it to allows me to skin it as I see fit.
    Corollary: I would like it to leave loading the textures up to me, provided that it give me the filename it is looking for (tho if it is open source that shouldn't be too hard)
    I need it to work *in* (and not just with) an OpenGL window.
    I need sliders, checkboxes, combo boxes, edit boxes, and static text fields.
    I need it to use a font bitmap of my choice.
    I want it to work cross platform
    I want a minimum of installation before i can use it.
    I want it to be easy to implement because I'm stupid and lazy
    I want it ready to use now, not in weeks or months.
    I want it to be open source C or C++.

I think those are all my requirements. If anyone knows of such a toolkit/system/engine then, in the words of James Brown, "Please, Please, Please!" Tell me!

Thank you in advance!

#1 Aggrav8d, Oct 30, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  2. wazoo

Original Member

hhehe no replies yet? For good reason...

Nope, none that I've exhaustively searched for.

Maybe depending upon the 3d engine you're using (say Crystal Space or Torque or something)..

But a stand-alone library....nada.

And judging from the lack of responses to this thread, they're few and far between...

Most GL guis that I've seen (which you listed) only emulate the L&F of a Windows "window"....not the ability to skin/texture it to make it your own (or if it is possible, then it's incredibly complex to do so)..

3. Aggrav8d

Original Member

Hmm.... perhaps that's an area that would be ripe for a sourceforge library. Ah, if only I had an extra hundred lifetimes. ...or, optionally, 100 people who were wasting their lives who wouldn't mind doing my bidding.

4. tom

tom
    Original Member

I've made something that might fit some of your requirements. It is a skinnable opengl gui. Since I'm no artist I've currently only ripped the graphics from windows XP. You can see it in action in my Squareheads demo. The source is available and free.

Biggest downside may be that it is in Java :p

5. Aggrav8d

Original Member

Thanks for writing, Tom. Unfortunately your screenshots show a program that does not have buttons *in* the framebuffered image and I forgot to mention C/C++.

6. vjvj

Indie Author

One lib I didn't see in your list is GLGooey:

http://glgooey.sourceforge.net/

I've never used it so I can't comment on how good it is, but it may be worth checking out...

7. oNyx

Original Member

Huh? The first screenshot is completely rendered in opengl. As he said... he ripped win xp stuff.

8. Aggrav8d

Original Member

My bad. I thought he misunderstood and it was a cropped image of his desktop. With that background it really fooled me. Upon closer inspection I saw the FPS counter.

GLGooey looks interesting, I'll check that out.

9. Kai Backman

Original Member Indie Author IGF Finalist

CEGUI. Has backends for OGRE, DirectX and OpenGL as far as I remember. Beats all the others I seen and my own custom libraries ..

(I only use the OGRE backend and OGRE again has backends for DirectX and OpenGL..;))