Open Source Game Development

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by sapor, May 1, 2017.

1. sapor

sapor New Member

Greetings everyone,

Are there any games that you know of that are being developed as an open source and development comes from within the efforts of the community around it?

Of course there needs to be a leadership, and a strong one on this particular scenario, but my thoughts are on whether this has been attempted or done before, and to what extent and success.

Since i just joined and noticed far too many threads asking for help on their games, why not bringing this community's talent together around such a project.

Any thoughts?

2. flavio

flavio New Member

Hi! Imho it depends on what you mean with "development". I don't think that you can aggregate many people on a common vision: everyone will see things with his/her subjective point of view. Indeed, open source games typically have few developers, the ones that (almost) exactly share the "vision" about the game. Anyway, if you consider a broader concept of "development", so that it includes game's assets, it could be done. As instance, if the game is moddable, or if the game is easily extensible, then the community may provide new contents. For example, Stunt Rally contains 172 tracks.
    tl;dr So, imho it could be done if there are "core" members who provide and maintain game's core elements, and the community can extend the game.