Open-Source C# RPG

Discussion in 'Help Wanted (UNPAID AND PROFIT SHARING)' started by Jebediah, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Jebediah

Jebediah New Member

Hi,

Looking to work with other C# developers that love old-school RPGs.

Code - https://github.com/jburditt/Classic-RPG-Framework (prototype, needs refactoring)

I'm working on a open-source C# classic RPG built using MonoGame. I plan to architect it in a way that I will be able to use it as a framework for building RPGs. Here is a screenshot of MonoGame running a Tiled map with multiple layers and collision:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It will have a modular design that will allow other developers / game designers to use their own modules for different aspects of the game e.g. side battle, front battle, action rpg, tactical rpg, etc. I want to start really simple since I don't have a lot of time to work on it ~2 hours per week. I will be working on a very basic rpg to begin with, keeping modular design in mind for later expansion. I have a website and forum for collaborating and sharing ideas.

http://jburditt.com/

About Me

I'm a 33 year old software developer with 11 years software development experience. I started programming when I was 13 on QBasic. I live in Vancouver, Canada on the off change anyone lives nearby and wants to code jam.

https://github.com/jburditt

Thanks,
    Jeb

#1 Jebediah, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  2. Wrath

Wrath New Member

Hello Jeb,

I have no experience with MonoGame but I have a few questions.

1. Why do you want to do this project?
    2. Why did you choose MonoGame as the basis for this project rather than other game engines or developer software?
    3. I noticed on the github page that the code relating to TMX doesn't use the MonoGame pipeline. From what I've learned so far about MonoGame the advantages in using it comes from the cross platform aspect and is directly related to use of the pipeline. Does the code so far support cross platform?

3. Jebediah

Jebediah New Member

Good questions!

1. I love old-school rpgs and this will be the third rpg I have started. I created a demo in QBasic and VB6 15+ years ago. It will be a very fun project to work on and simple enough to be attainable.
    2. I don't have a ton of knowledge of modern game engines. I have 11 years experience working with C#, so I would prefer to stay in that language. There are already similar projects out there for Java, C++ and Javascript. Unity was another option I considered but I would imagine it is so feature rich and 3D focused that it might be over-complex for my 2D needs.
    3. All of the graphics are rendered using the MonoGame pipeline. The TMX file is for loading the map information. Although one problem I am having currently is that the tileset filenames are stored in TMX but I have to manually add them to the MonoGame build file to load them correctly. The code so far should be cross platfrom but I also haven't tried.

4. Jebediah

Jebediah New Member

I made a video to show off the current features.

Alternate video link
    https://jburditt.tinytake.com/sf/MTQ3NzgwN181MjA3NjY0

I've decoupled the graphics, so the game engine could easily be used with Unity or another graphics library. I could use help with the following:

1. Story writer
    2. Pixel artist
    3. Music composer
    4. Sound
    5. C# programmer (RPG)
    6. Java / Scala programmer (editor plugin for Tiled)