One of those "Doh!" moments

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Desktop Gaming, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Spent a couple of days rewriting a PHP script to take a bunch of XML data from Reflexive's XML feed, and dump the data into a couple of SQL tables.

Anyway, I finished it up and tidied up a few uglies in the database structure, all working perfectly.

Over the next few days I ran my script and noticed that my site wasn't updating with the new games. I let it slide as I figured maybe the XML feed isn't updated every day.

After three days of this, I decided to investigate further before posting here to ask about how often this thing was updated. It was then that I noticed I'd added underscores to two table names in the SQL database, and as such, the script was trying to add data to tables that no longer existed.

Three days! Bloody thing didn't even throw an error!

DOH!

2. mot

mot
    Indie Author

Right, bloody PHP sucks at stuff like this. They do have exceptions now
    I think, but they never throw from library functions. And each set of library
    functions has a different way to report errors. Bah! Use Python or ASP.NET for
    website stuff.

3. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I do actually like PHP. I guess if I'd bothered to echo out the query and test it in PHPMyAdmin like I normally do, I would've caught it that way.

Ho hum.

4. Acord

Acord New Member

I just figured out tonight that I'd been updating a map I spent all week on with an old version. DOH!

5. Maupin

Original Member

Man, I hate PHP. I use Python for exactly the same function, Desktop. Before I take it live I always test it with a string of the actual feed to make sure it's working. You could probably do something similar with PHP.

Reflexive updates their game feed regularly, and I'm pretty sure they use it themselves to generate their own page. So if you see a new game on their site but it's not on yours - and your script has run - there's a problem somewhere.

I have noticed that their orders XML feed is sometimes a few hours late. It's not unusual to see purchases listed in the Gamecenter control panel but not in the order XML feed, especially in the evenings around U.S. time.

6. moose6912

moose6912 New Member

That is what I always do when doing SQL stuff with PHP, just to catch errant SQL statement. It is times like these that I wished I was using ASP.NET instead, but PHP is so good for just to get simple stuff up and running real quick, plus I have not come across a reasonable priced webhosting account which supports ASP.NET.

7. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

You are surely joking - PHP is king when it come to this kind of stuff...

8. jankoM

Indie Author

PHP is not really the beauty of a language but it functions and always shows errors, warnings and notices and parse time errors if it's set up to show them (or log them). As with all environments this stuff doesn't happen once you work with it for a while.

If it was useless, megahogs like facebook, wikipedia, flickr, wordpress.. wouldn't be written in it (I am still amazed that they are :) )