Once. Turn based strategy in process.

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Lainur, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Lainur

Lainur New Member

Hello all!
    I am a great fan of old school Turn Based Strategy games, and I'm developing one.
    It will combine everything I loved about those games with some new additions and improvements.
    The game will have two modes.
    There is a strategic campaign mode where the map is divided into many provinces or kingdoms and you rule one.
    Rule, checkup, research new techs and upgrades, complete quests and go to war.
    There is also a tactical battlefield mode where the whole map is the battlefield itself, where you are a general deploying your troops and leading them to victory!
    Like all great TBS games, this game will flow at a measured pace where you can calmly plot your next moves without time pressure and strain. There will also be a hotseat mode, but it will be co-op where humans with together to defeat the AI.

Style: medieval fantasy with 2D pixel graphics adapted from different RPGmaker RTPs, to release for Windows.
    Features:
    - Multiple kingdoms/nations with differences in playstyle, abilities, leaders.
    - Heroes with different skills, which have different influence on controlled squads.
    - Squads level up and learn new abilities. They cannot be completely destroyed, so they can be deployed in more risky maneuvers in battle.
    - Armies have different active and passive skills, battle maneuvers, and unique skills triggered by their combat experience.
    - Dynamic terrain and weather systems will influence battle tactics and results.
    - Different goals, ways to win and game styles for different nations.
    - Events.
    - Unique techs and upgrades for each nation.
    - AI factions, cults, and tribes will also develop and may mature into fully independent nations that try to conquer and pillage.

That's all for now. I develop this game in my free time, which is hard to come by, but I will work on it as much as possible.
    Watch the video and leave comments. I read them all, and value all your input and feedback, as well as ideas for more features to include.
    Here is first video:

Also there is battle tactics demo video :

2. Lainur

Lainur New Member

Hello all!

Let me tell you in a few words about game's battle system.

Soldiers in their squads have following stats:
    Strength, Agility, Mind Power, Battle Skills, Defensive Skills, Knowledge.
    These six stats are actively used through the damage calculations.
    Str, Agi and MindPow. affects more, but changes rarely - they determine first "shape" of unit. Hovewer other three stats changes more often, as squad grows in levels.
    Also our soldiers have current/max health points, natural damage (for those who do not use any weapons), natural armor (thickness of fur), shield, melee-ranged weapons.
    Squads have their mana and action points, counterattacks, radius of melee and ranged attacks and ammo (as it required for shots).
    Soldiers have another stat - "Size", which indirectly determines how many soldiers of this type can be assigned to one squad.

In fight, type of action (sword slash, magicball cast, bite), weapon (or its absence) and unit stats - all have important value. Also counts terrain/weather/conditions factors.
    Calculations are also affected by a type of pressure (trust, hit, slash, and other).
    Orders of strikes in melee combat determined by "Initiative", which depends on unit stats and stats of weapon.
    When one soldier takes his turn and he strikes, first thing is calculated - if his attack hits more enemies around his target. And then, for all targets we figure out :
    Was or wasn't an evasion. If no evasion, then :
    if there was a shield block. Evasion and shield block are affected by : soldiers stats, if soldier in formation, and type of attacking weapon(axes, halberds and flails have more chances to strike through block).
    If there was a strike in an armor or through it.
    There is also possibility to suddenly strike trough all types of defences, include natural armor - right in a weak point.
    Ranged attacks have also feature of shot accuracy. It means that soldier can completely miss enemy. Hovewer there is always a chance that his missed projectile will hit nearby unit.
    Every attack can be magic or physical by nature. It determines which exactly stat we will use for calculations.
    Also every attack can consist of several types of damages. For example "Dragon Breath" consist of 10% of physical damage and 90% of fire damage. Power of "Dragon Breath" primary affected by Strength of character, but we can made connection of attack with any of stats.
    Damages can be such types: physical, heat, cold, magic and acid.
    To make creation of new units faster, i made some unit editor, embed in a game program. It's very useful for me and helps a lot.
    Process of units editing and some of game-play you can watch in video.

3. Cybroid

Cybroid New Member

You have done quite well on this. I am a great fan of turn-based strategy (EndWar for DS, Civilisation) and this really brings back memories of the older ones with the music and the graphics. The choice of music is good. Not too upbeat, kind of has that old kind of beat like an old DS game.

So the battle system. You have thought this out really well. Each type of unit being different, like all strategy games, evasions and range. All things that should be taken into account for something like this.

Perhaps some more HUD could be added, like a minimap in one of the corners? It all depends on how large the maps are, really.

I do hope this feedback does something to help. And I also hope that, once you get to it, you can show off the campaign mode.

4. Lainur

Lainur New Member

Hello all again!
    Sorry, i dissapeared for awhile.
    Cybroid, thank you for your feedback, it was very interesting to read. I didn't add minimad, cause i don't finally sure if battle maps will be really so huge, to need it. But it's not final decision, of course. And more, i was always triyng to left more space in game screen for player. I don't like myself thousand of menus and windows in modern tbs.
    Tough i didn't post for long, i worked on game. And here we go, battle AI demonstration. Details are in description, but in a few words - it's video where four countries, controlling by AI, fighting. Two countries are attacking and in alliance, one is defending and one is killing all other for no reason. There is also 2nd part of video, where i added some more information of what unit is currently controled by ai, whom it attacks e.t.c. Which is better, what do you think?

And now i'm working on big map and all that prior battles.

5. noahbwilson

Indie Author

I dig.

Looks like a type of Advance Wars. Something I hope to get into making one day.

Does the game have SFX? The music in the videos is good but overpowering.

6. Lainur

Lainur New Member

Hello)
    Thanks. Although i never played Advanced Wars, i just watch it on youtube and i think it's interesting game. Reminds me Panzer general in anime style.
    Game still has no SFX in battle mode. It has some ambient sounds in global map mode(doesn't shown yet) and some menu click sounds.
    Music and sounds are very important parts of the game, but i don't have time for them right now.

7. Lainur

Lainur New Member

Hello. Work is on. Now i making global map mode. Because of abcenting UI, i can't make good video about this mode, so in a few words, global map:

[​IMG]
    There are number of cities-states protected by forcefield from surrounded deadly lands of Mist. Although men don't die instanly in the mist, but it's not friendly space for all we call - life. Life in mist takes twisted and strange forms.
    People can travel from one city-state to another by roads, guiding by mist-pathfinders.

You can see several carts between cities - these are trade caravans between states. There are also simple travelers or traveling parties who wonders from one state to another. And armies if they move or attacks.

Under the fields each city-state has some of earth-type land like mountains, forest, water, field e.t.c. Each territory divided by sectors.Their number depends on power of force field.

Mist is also divided for territories with it's own anomalies, monsters and authorities.

8. Lainur

Lainur New Member

Hello again !
    Work still going on, bit slower in all that New Year's rush..
    [​IMG]
    Many work on game's inner structures, arrays, map structure were done. Many UIs and tonns of images i had to make.
    Soon i want to make a small video, where i can view all possibilities and actions on global map.

9. Lainur

Lainur New Member

So here is first version of global map. I shows here interface(land stats) and some functions, such as moving units to allied land or scirmish in the mist lands when you attack foreign land.

10. Spacedoutgames

Spacedoutgames New Member

Looks great, keep doing your thing. I'm definitely hyped about this.

11. Lainur

Lainur New Member

Thank you ! Trying hard to not loose the tempo :)

12. Lainur

Lainur New Member

Hello All!
    Here is some update. In this video i show battle actions in game: battles , riots, conquests.

13. Lainur

Lainur New Member

A new pre-battle phase has been added where you have the opportunity to manually deploy your units. In this phase, some of the enemy positions may be shrouded by the "fog of war" if you are not skilled in scouting.

14. Lainur

Lainur New Member

Hello, all! I have made some tile graphic changes. Now the map can change with time of the year and with climate zone.
    How do you like the battle map?
    Does it look good?

15. Lainur

Lainur New Member

Hello !
    Here is a small update. In this video, i will show some unit management: recruitment, upgrading, and leveling.
    The button "stats" is now showing more statistic about units and all bonuses to their stats.
    You can see, that if you have some unit of the lower tier than your country can produce, in you unit list, you can upgrade to a higher tier.
    And now you can level up your units when you earn enough experience points. Each level up(or maybe each two, or three..I don't now yet) you receive one bonus, which you choose from three. These abilities can give a bonus to one stat, or give some active/passive skill.
    So, now I have a mechanic to upgrade, leveling units. Now working on 2 new units with some interesting abilities and then I'll show how technologies and research will work.

Robharvey likes this.
  16. Robharvey

Robharvey New Member

Looking really great. Liking how fleshed out it's become.

17. Lainur

Lainur New Member

Thank you, I just had designed two new mage-types unit, with some new mechanics of spell. So I can introduce them soon )

Robharvey likes this.
  18. TerahardCallum

TerahardCallum New Member

This is really really cool!

19. Lainur

Lainur New Member

Thank you TerahardCallum!
    Something new:

Just added some new spell mechanics and two new Mage-Units.
    Psy Mage - can throw different objects, depending on which terrain he stands.

And Wind mage creates gusts and tornados, which causes chaos in enemy lines.

For the spell mechanics - I have added spell cooldown and charges stats.

Now i'll fully concentrate on technology tree and land development.

20. Lainur

Lainur New Member

Hello all !
    Added "Charge" mechanics, and Heavy Lance Knights unit. It's heavily armored riders with a lance.
    In the video below you can see how charge attacks work, and how they differ for a different type of units. So, light cavalry also has "charge skill", but gets fewer bonuses from it, as heavy lance knights.
    Also, I'm working on Necromancer unit with some special mechanics too:
    First, it has "Dark Rain" spell, which only can be used when you have enough souls consumed by killing enemy units.
    Second Necromancer squads enter the battlefield with their special slave squad - undeads. So u can use consumed souls also for reviving fallen undeads and healing them. When necromancer dies their undead disappear too ...