On the Oche - 3D Arcade Darts Released

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by grant@seriesone, Nov 8, 2004.

1. grant@seriesone

Original Member

I have only just joined so I would like to say a big hello to everyone!. :)

My brother and I have been working on a project for the last 10 months (including setting up the website) and now finally we have released our first game: 'On the Oche'.

You can download a demo version at our website:
    www.seriesonesoftware.com

We would appreciate any feedback on the game and website.

Thanks in advance

2. Addictive 247

Indie Author

Hello and welcome to the forums :)

I downloaded the game, installed (which was fine) and then I launched the game.
    I clicked on the Play Demo button, left the settings as they are . . .

"NVIDIA GEFORCE 4 MX
    640x480x32bit color" . . .

and clicked OK. The screen went black. The text "LOADING" appeared and then disappeared and then it went back to my desktop!!

I tried a few more times and changed the settings around a bit but no joy :(

System is:
    Win XP Pro
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    480MB RAM
    DirectX 8.1

3. grant@seriesone

Original Member

Hi Addictive 247,

Thanks for checking out the game. Ok the program should have generated a log file, can you possibly send that to me via email.

The log file is located in the installation folder:
    C:\Program Files\Series One Software\On the Oche\darts.log

Thanks

email - help@seriesonesoftware.com

4. Addictive 247

Indie Author

log file on its way

5. grant@seriesone

Original Member

Log file received, thanks.

The problem seems to be with OpenAL.
    Ok I'll try and tweak a few things, have you had any problems with other OpenAL based games?

#5 grant@seriesone, Nov 8, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  6. grant@seriesone

Original Member

Problem seems to be with OpenAL source validation. alGenSources() works fine, but according to the log file alIsSource() is failing on your computer.

I have updated the openal dlls, and tweaked the validation. The updated
    version is now available

on the website:

or direct:
    www.seriesonesoftware.com/oche_setup.exe

Has anyone else had difficulties loading?
    If not, what do you think of the game? :)

Thanks
    grant@seriesone

7. AnotherDev

Original Member

Excellent game. The best dart game I tried so far. Congrats.
    My onlly small complaint would be that we can't skip some transition screens (or maybe I'm just missing something).

8. grant@seriesone

Original Member

Good stuff!, glad you enjoyed it :).

Regarding the transition screens, do you mean the intro of the players etc?, they're not on for that long and we feel they help to build the atmosphere ;).

9. AnotherDev

Original Member

Yes that's what I'm talking about. No big deal but I still wish we could skip them :)

10. Addictive 247

Indie Author

Similar problems - email on it's way to you.

11. grant@seriesone

Original Member

Ok just got your email, still the same problem I see. I have made some more tweaks, check your email.

12. FlySim

Indie Author

Nice game - everything seemed to work fine.
    P4 - Intel Graphics.
    Hope it does well for you!

13. Martoon

Original Member

Wow! Really nice game. I enjoy darts, but I've never seen a computer darts game that I liked, until now. Someone finally got the dart throwing interface just right. Overall, a very polished presentation.

The only glitch I saw is that when I was down to my final points, the text it puts on the screen, "Martoon needs 28 points" (or whatever - I can't remember the exact phrasing), it gets clipped off at the right edge of the screen. I'm guessing this is because the name I entered, "Martoon," is fairly long.

It would also be really nice if each of the game types included an explanation of the rules. I'm a very casual player, and it took me quite a while to realize that I was required to double-out. I was pretty frustrated for a while, because I would obviously close with the exact number of required points, and it would tell me I was bust, then the opponent would close and win. This is the kind of frustration that could make a player give up on the demo and not buy the game.

Overall, really nice game. I hope it does well.

14. grant@seriesone

Original Member

Thanks for the positive comments from everyone :) .

Martoon, we had a look at the points you made and have adjusted the game, if you re-download it from the website you should see the changes. Thanks for the input. ;)

Addictive 247 - We have finally managed to fix the loading bug, it seems we were trying to create too many sources in OpenAL for your sound card!, luckily we had a local friend with the same problem and it is now working on his machine, if you re-download it should finally work!. Thanks for all your help.

Grant@seriesone

15. Martoon

Original Member

Very nice. The text all fits onscreen now. And I see it mentions on the splash before the tournament starts that you must finish on a double.

I know it would be a lot of text to add, but I think it would be a major plus for the game if it actually had a description of the rules for each of the games. I know a lot of your customers are going to be hardcore darts players that won't need this, but I think there's a lot of casual players that don't know the rules to the various games, but would still be good potential customers.

And I just want to mention again how perfect your dart throwing interface is.

16. Addictive 247

Indie Author

Just downloaded the latest demo and it's now working :)

Excellent game which I think actually captures the whole beer-drinking, playing in the pub atmosphere of darts - well done!

Since I've got nothing bad to say about it I'll list some of my favourite points:

* Throwing interface is nice and easy to use.
    * Graphics work really well and nothing to really distract you from the game.
    * Nice selection of different game types.
    * Great sound effects to capture the whole darts atmosphere.
    * Small commentator in the bottom right of the screen on PRO mode has some excellent one-liners :D

17. carl@seriesone

Original Member

Hi everyone

Im Carl the graphic artist and co designer of 'On the Oche'

Thanks for all you comments and help with the game, its very much appreciated.

Martoon. We are currently developing a fully comprehensive set of instructions possibly for notepad or html that will be included in the download.
    So hopefully novice players will be able to learn all the games.

Thanks for the comments regarding the throwing interface.
    This was for us the absolute most important point in the game.
    We decided that what we wanted was to be able to throw 3 darts as quickley as we you could in real life and the interface you see was a result of that.
    The floating powergauge was done because we had played dart games before and you always seemed to looking somewhere else on the screen when you dart was thrown!

Addictive 247 Thanks a lot for the comments about the atmosphere!
    And for noticing the commentator .
    I spent the best part of a week just writing all his comments!
    and just in case you didnt know his name is Jossy Waddle.
    There an in joke there but you have to really be up on darts to know it!

Cheers Carl

18. Addictive 247

Indie Author

Has anyone who's played the game beaten the 60 second challenge yet??
    The most I can score is around the 500 mark :rolleyes:

19. carl@seriesone

Original Member

Grant has managed to break the 1000 mark on 60 second challenge.
    The best ive done is around the 950 mark

let us know when you have done it !

Carl

20. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I only managed 549 ;)

Anyway, your game brings back fond memories of the amiga days, where the graphics often looked just like yours... so I loved every second of it. Really excellent work. On a small side note- I'd also like to be able to skip the intros. It may build atmosphere (as you've mentioned) but atmosphere should never get in the way of enjoyment. Something out of the way... like having to press escape to skip them, would be good. Again, that's one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a while. I too hope you do well from it.