Ok, so I learnt flash...

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by siread, Jan 19, 2009.

1. siread

Original Member

2. DevTactics

DevTactics New Member

If you're starting fresh, do yourself a favour and learn AS3. While it's possible to do the games you want to do using AS2, there's a good chance you'll want (or need) to switch to AS3 in the future. Could be because AS2 gets phased out, or it could be because you want to take advantage of the benefits of AS3. Save yourself the trouble of having to learn both!

The learning curve is steep but it's worth it and it's not hard to find AS3 tutorials to get you started. I'd also recommend picking up a beefy book like the "ActionScript 3 Bible" or "Essential ActionScript 3" -- either would be very handy.

3. dbest

dbest New Member

I have recently got hooked onto AS3 and I would recommend the book "Essential Actionscript 3.0". It does cover the details in a nice way.

I am using FlashDevelop and having a go making games with it. Nothing to show for it as of now, but hopefully sometime very soon, I shall be able to produce something.

I have been chatting with a fellow indie and he said that his usual turn around for a Flash based game is 1 month. He has a team of artists to support him for this task. The quick time to release and the market reach are the two main reasons, I have decided to learn AS3.

4. simonh

Indie Author

Excellent mini game! I think you've just about tuned it to perfection - except maybe there should be a bit more variation in the final levels.

I got the 5th best score :)

5. Maupin

Original Member

I'll second the recommendation of Essential ActionScript 3.0.

And if you've ever programmed any sort of game before, ever, do yourself a HUGE favor and avoid all mucking about with the timeline. Use Flex or the free command line compiler to compile mxml files directly. I previously tried to develop a small Flash game using Flash itself, and even being familiar with Flash due to past animation work it was so different from "traditional" game programming that I was tearing my hair out.

6. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

Shouldn't this go in feedback rather than business, since it's mostly feedback about the Flash game?

Anyway, I too am learning Flash, partially in hopes of driving more traffic to my site, partially just since I'm bored and occasionally need to stretch my brain a little by learning something new.

What tutorials/resources did you use while learning it, besides the Newsground link, if any? I've been learning AS3 with FlashDevelop using the basic documents that Adobe provides (the API etc.).

7. siread

Original Member

To be honest the thread was intended to be about reporting on the progress of the game and report on the stats rather than get feedback on the development. So now that it's out there...

Kongregate: This was last updated about 24hrs after being published. All the earnings are from ads that are on my game page on Kongregate. They disable the Mochi ads, so the game itself is ad-free on Kong (aside from the New Star Games link backs.)
    [​IMG]

Mochi-Ads: These stats are after around 36hrs of being on my own site. It's slowly working itself onto the Mochi network of sites and I am submitting it to lots of others.
    [​IMG]

We've also had 420 plays of an ad-free version on NewsGrounds.

As I said in the initial post, my interest is more about driving traffic to my site than making money through the ads but as yet there are has been no noticeable increase in visitors and it is still averaging at around 1100 a day. So no big numbers yet but it's early days and in the meantime I'll continue submitting it to flash sites.

8. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

Do you have a link to your site in the game? I.e. how would traffic go from the game to your site?

9. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I've had similar experience so far. I had a good increase on visits on my site but not in sales. I should have called my game Return to Zombieville! :D

10. andrew

andrew New Member

So, from my experience a standard link back to your site from a Flash game will only have a 1-3% click rate. If the link is more attractive, like "play multiplayer at blah.com!" then it'll be much higher. Thus you need on the order of 100K+ views in order to drive any decent traffic back to your site.

If you are using Mochi, one interesting feature is the "traffic share". This lets you place your ads in other games, for free, proportional to the amount of traffic your game is getting on the network. Typically it's only shown when they can't provide a high-paying ad at the time. If you have a game that is getting thousands of plays per day it's a good option. I'm getting around 1500 click-throughs per week (that ends up being a 4% CTR)

- andrew

11. Alistair Hutton

Alistair Hutton New Member

I get similar figures, I'm getting around 600 click which is an almost 5% click through. So I've had 12,000 of my ads shown from only 100 ads views from my games in that week.

12. tafty

Original Member

[Removed because I should've read andrew's post first]

Though I should add that I see between 5 and 8% click through on my ads in the Traffic Share programme.

13. ryansumo

ryansumo New Member

I don't know if you're still looking to fix the game but I would suggest that in future games when you have a charge meter to have some unit of measurement, even just lines showing the quarter and halfway points.

Since you're asking the player to be very accurate in some cases I think it would help significantly for them to measure the strength of the kick needed to complete the objectives. :)

14. siread

Original Member

Good idea. Although the enthusiasm for developing this further has dipped somewhat...

Kongregate 722 plays, earnings = $0.49.
    Mochi 4,341 impressions, earnings = $0.33.
    Newsgrounds 438 plays.

Not sure what to make of this. I guess the game doesn't appeal as much as other game types, but still, I'm disappointed in the number of hits.

15. JGOware

Indie Author

Are you saying your flash game has generated only 82 cents in total revenue?

16. andrew

andrew New Member

Well, that's sort of the problem at the moment if you just submit to a Kongregate/Newgrounds/Mochi/etc. It's really "survival of the fittest". Either one of two things will happen:

- The first hundred or so ratings will be really good, and you'll get bumped up to a more visible page (such as "highest rated weekly games" on Kongregate), which then can get you on the front page, in which case you are virtrually guaranteed 100K+ views.

(or)

- The first hundred or so ratings will be medicore (or worse) and your game will linger in obscurity once it quickly moves off the "new games" page.

Selling sponsorships gets around this to a point, because you convince your sponsor that the game is good, they then automatically front-page you before you get any user ratings. Even if people dislike the game, you're still going to get lots of plays. For example, Galaxy Defender is front-paged on Armor right now with a terrible rating (3.4/10) and it still has 134K plays.

I'm surprised your Kongregate CPM is so low, I've been seeing around $5-8 CPM from there..

- andrew

17. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I have similar low result with kongregate, though as excuse I made a very particular game.
    I don't know, my enthusiasm for flash has dropped quickly, mainly because I realized the market is even smaller (I mean, more restricted by genre) than downlodable ones.
    Not my game, but in general adventure or more "intelligent" games don't really get good attention on flash.
    Of course I am not saying it suck, just that is good but for more action oriented games (which at the moment I'm really not interested in making).

18. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

That's why someone needs to make an "intelligent flash games" portal. I thought it was going to be me, but I have another important project on the go and won't have time. So I'm probably going to just release my four games the regular way and most likely watch them fail... but if someone else is interested in doing it, I'd volunteer some time to do e.g. graphic design for the site, if it would help make it happen.

I'm pretty sure Halls of the Deepfathers, in particular, would be a hit with the MENSA set... who are kind of the opposite of the Newgrounds crowd in every possible way, except arrogance. :)

#38 AlexWeldon, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  19. andrew

andrew New Member

Ok, I'll bite ;)

Why is a branching-conversation adventure game more "intelligent" than Sonny 2? or Gemcraft? or Kongai?

And who is the MENSA set? I have seen some extremely intelligent game analysis done by people who have come from Kong/Newgrounds.. not everyone there is a spoiled 14-year old...

- andrew

20. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

I don't know anything about his game. It could be completely inane. I was responding more to the statement that violent action games do better on NG, which is mostly true... Some puzzle games seem to do okay, but they all seem pretty easy to me.

However, it was mentioned in another thread (or earlier in this one) that there are other Flash sites with somewhat different user bases. I might look around a bit and see if any of them seem like "my crowd."

People who are members of MENSA, duh. Mostly pretentious academics. They do, however, like things that are difficult, unlike most computer gamers these days.