Oh Yeah! [Grimm's Hatchery is #1 at Big Fish Games]

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by amaranth, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Genimo

Indie Author

If our little affiliate site is any indication it will be a hit at Reflexive too...

Way to go Amanda!

2. DaveGilbert

Indie Author

Heh. Doing my best! Just got a contract from BFG so we shall see.

3. Josh1billion

Josh1billion New Member

I just played that game for an hour and it's awesome. I might buy it in the future.

Who did the art for the pets and for the backgrounds of the farms? I'm looking for exactly that style of art for my new game, and I'd love to have a chance to work with the individual(s).

4. LilGames

LilGames New Member

5. amaranth

Original Member

oops! i triple posted. can someone delete?

6. amaranth

Original Member

oops! i tripple posted. can someone delete?

#46 amaranth, May 1, 2007
    Last edited: May 2, 2007
  7. amaranth

Original Member

Josh, the background artist was Olga Antonenko. You can contact her through her website here: http://www.cgpolis.com

The sprite artist was Jan Halfar. You can contact him through his website here: http://www.pixellive.net

8. Josh1billion

Josh1billion New Member

Thanks much for the references. I hope to work with one or both of these talented people soon. :D

9. sumner

Indie Author

Toolbar install?

Sorry to break from the theme here, but Josh, you do realize that all of the sidebar links on your site prompt the user to install toolbar software from Zango, right? If you're seriously looking for a publisher for your game, I would advise removing things that might put potential publishers off (not to mention potential buyers, once the game is done). Unless that publisher is Zango, I guess...

10. Josh1billion

Josh1billion New Member

?

This does not show up for me... neither in Firefox, nor in Internet Explorer 6, in Windows XP. Which browser are you using and OS? Anyway, it must be something the hosting site added on there.. they already added a banner to the bottom of the page. It's a crap, free hosting service that I quickly signed up for for a place to temporarily host my site.

Thanks for the heads-up, though. I'll be switching hosts before my game is released, for sure.

11. sumner

Indie Author

Wow. That was odd. I checked from a second machine, and there's no forced toolbar install. Went back to the machine where I found it originally, and it's gone as well. Sorry for the false alarm, but you should be aware that something shady was happening, even if just for just a short period. FYI, here's what I was seeing when your 'about us' link was being hijacked: http://php0h.powered-by.zango.com/?a576af72f4/ga578af72f0&s=http://php0h.com/aboutus.php

12. Josh1billion

Josh1billion New Member

Thanks again for the heads-up. As for that page, the host actually just replaces 404 pages with a page full of ads. The aboutus.php doesn't exist.. I never got around to adding that page, hah. The site is mostly just a temporary thing, though, 'til a better host comes along.

13. MrQ

MrQ New Member

14. defanual

Original Member

Congrats Amanda:cool: , unless i'm mistaken or total dreaming, I think I remember you saying you were going to use torque game builder for Grimm's Hatchery, was that the case, if so how did you find using it?

15. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Seems like a nice little game. Haven't played it myself, but my partner has had a go.

One thing she did mention, was that her mouse finger ached after about 20 minutes of clicking. Her only other negative comment was that much of the text was a bit small (which I would tend to agree with since I couldn't read any of it from where I was sitting, about 6ft away).

16. LilGames

LilGames New Member

Has it been mentioned already, that it's in Yahoo's top 10?

17. amaranth

Original Member

Just hit #1 on Shockwave. :)

18. Josh1billion

Josh1billion New Member

Did Aveyond sell well? I want to write a classic console-style RPG one day, but I don't think that genre really appeals to the casual audience.

19. whisperstorm

Original Member

Josh1billion: write the rpg first - get a community of fans around it then release commercial sequels to feed your community's rabid hunger for anything you create. You cannot create a community first then a game -- it has to come first. If your game sucks, well then you aren't going to make much money off of it. If it's great, then folks will want more of the same...

20. Pyabo

Original Member

Amanda, I'm ashamed to say I can't answer this question myself, BUT... does Grimm's Hatchery use creatures featured in Aveyond? That would be a good cross-promotion I would think. Sort of like the Chocobo spinoffs you see from the Final Fantasy games. Just a thought... maybe you're already doing that.