Official list of IGF entries.

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Musenik, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Musenik

Original Member

Here they are, a nice and diverse set of games.

IGF Entries

Wish us luck, everyone!

2. Drake

Indie Author

Good luck! For starters, I'd say DHSGiT is sure to garner more than its share of curiosity clicks. :)

Some oddball standouts, from my quick glance: "Press the Spacebar 2000" with its $95 donation to the IGF, and "Perplex City" - an ARG. How are they supposed to judge that?

3. DrWilloughby

Indie Author

(reposted here)

I just wrote up a blog post doing a quick handicapping of the IGF entries that I have any knowledge of. Might be of interest to some people here, so I'm reposting it. Sorry if I didn't mention your game, mention it in the thread! Unless you are Dan Marshall, because excluding his game should give him something to rant about on his blog ;)

The IGF just posted the list of 141 entries to the 2007 Independent Games Festival. The big scary ones that are likely to make the rest of the contestants cry in their milk:

Venture Arctic -- Yes, this is our game, I have to mention it, but I won't say whether or not I think we'll be finalists. Bad form.

Bang! Howdy! -- The follow up to Puzzle Pirates by Three Rings took years and a big team. It's also innovative and fun. And it pushes a microcurrency system. Lookout IGF.

Perplex City -- This real-world/online crossover game gives riddles to players in which they have to solve problems in the real world, on the internet, and in the game. Definitely Oscar... uh I mean... IGF bait. Plus they appear to have crazy funding and just announced a deal to distribute in Gamestop. These guys mean business.

Braid -- Won the Innovation in Game Design award last year but was incomplete. Will judges give it a second look for the grand prize?

Golf? -- A crazy new take on traditional golf by the now broken-up Chronic Logic (we're not dead! we think we're feeling better!). Art style is old school vector and it's just plain weird. Love it or hate it, it might slip into a finalist berth.

Kingdom Elemental -- A VERY fun tactical RPG/RTS, development assisted by the remains of Chronic Logic. Nothing new here, but wicked fun.
    (EDIT: this game was NOT made by the creator of Trash, apologies to both Scott Thunelius and Mark Currie)

New Star Soccer 3 -- Haven't played it, but Russ Carroll, editor of Game Tunnel, LOVES it, which counts for a lot. Apparently, gotta play it to believe it. Yes, you can become addicted to gambling at the race track and other odd non-soccer related activites.

Kudos -- Indie idol Cliff Harris' UI-heavy take on what life would be like if you stared at one screen all day and pushed buttons. Oh wait, that IS what life is like. Not my personal fave, but Cliff is, and his games strike a nerve with a lot of people.

Steam Brigade -- A 2d side-scrolling RTS with great steam-punk art. Could be a dark horse.

Eets -- A 2d puzzle game where you control the main character by putting him in good and bad moods with food. Crazy, wacky, fun, frustrating; reminds me of my ex.

Virtual Villagers -- Out of left-field casual hit where you control castaways on an island by telling them what to do, quitting the game, coming back hours later when they are done, and then telling them to do something else. I wanted to hate this game, but I don't know that I've ever had a stronger compulsion to see what's next. The IGF slammed this company's previous effort, Fish Tycoon, which could make them feel bad and rate this one higher, or could mean that they don't like this company so the game will get rated lower, or have no effect at all.

Minions of Mirth -- Indie MMO with constantly expanding content. I would pick it for the Tech prize -- at least a finalist spot.

Bone: The Great Cow Race -- Yes, that Bone. NO! Not THAT bone! The other one. THe one in the comic books. With the little white guy. Oh, never mind.

PlayDoJam -- Web camera game about a bouncing ball. Small, simple, might just be fun and different enough to sneak into a finalist spot.

Other games which I haven't played but are maybe worth noting:

Penumbra -- Beatuiful horror adventure game. I know nothing about it besides that it is supposed to be beautiful and atmospheric.

Tune -- Has an odd and POSSIBLY compelling game mechanic.

Global Conflicts: Palenstine -- Taking on a subject matter which actually MEANS something in the world has to be worth something.

Other games worth noting:

Aveyond -- Well constructed, LONG old-school console style RPG. Unexpected portal sales hit.

Armadillo Run -- Physics-based Incredible Machine-like game. Receiving a lot of affection from smelly hairy men. Glad I'm not that game.

Blast Miner -- The shard that split off from Chronic Logic made this one. I have no idea if it's good, but it's the brainchild of the creator of Gish.

Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble -- Haven't played it yet, heard some interesting things. Mae by the people who did Witches Yarn, which was a finalist in game design last year.

Feel free to comment, flame, tell me I don't like Torque enough, etc. THis is my list and I'm stickin to it! :)

In all seriousness, I've only played 5 percent of the games on this list, but I keep up pretty well with the indie scene. There are surely some on the list that are going to be finalists and maybe winners that I haven't mentioned. Grain of salt and some online etiquitte por favor.

#3 DrWilloughby, Sep 12, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  4. Drake

Indie Author

Pretty good list.

If you're including all the Chronic Logic related stuff based on past performance, you may as well consider the Behemoth's Castle Crashers. The judges love those guys. :p

Also, there's that Toribash that the kids are all taking about. A Game Design nod, perhaps?

5. DrWilloughby

Indie Author

You're right, I missed that one, should've included it.

Though I'm not including the Chronic Logic stuff in my MAIN list based on past performance. I've played Golf? and an alpha build of Kingdom Elemental. I haven't played Blast Miner, that's why it didn't go in my main list.

After reflecting on Toribash, decided I didn't like it, and I don't think the judges will pick it.

6. DayDream

Indie Author

Add MonsterTrucks to the list of big games... coming from the flash side of game development ( which is always underestamed in this forum ) it has had a huge success in both the miniclip.com version and the new wrigley's version.

Great physics engine combined with a lot of fun gameplay, easy of use, the modifiying ability and a lot of eyecandy...( and yes I am biased as I know the team and had a chance to help out on some art work :) )...

7. DadTimesTwo

Original Member

That made me laugh loud enough for the neighbors to hear... LOL!

8. DrWilloughby

Indie Author

9. yanuart

Original Member

If you love that how about this :
    Motorama IPlayAllDay Studio
    Motorama, is a realistic motocross simulation game. Ride through tons of challenging tracks on multiple different bikes. Post your high scores online and compete worldwide for the title of Motorama Champion.

heh, it's actually just below Monster Truck!!

10. Nauris

Original Member

Hey, you don`t love Torque enough! :p

11. DrWilloughby

Indie Author

Ha, last year I posted a list like this on the GarageGames forums and a bunch of people got mad at me for not mentioning enough Torque based games. I love Torque and all... but I refuse to be a fanboy.

12. Nauris

Original Member

Aye, there`s nothing worse than misplaced zeal :)
    Seriously though, just browsing this years list has cost me loads of time. Some good schtuff there too.

13. impossible

Original Member

Great quote from Slashdot :).

14. TimS

Original Member

I feel really bad for anyone who happens to browse to Ghost Ship Studios' website from the Blobyrinth listing... it's all slow and broken and doesn't have a download link or even screenshots... :( Got to make time to fix it up cuz it's depressing at the moment AND it's getting traffic. blegh.

-T

15. woo

woo
    Original Member

How much traffic are you getting from your listing? As of around midnight last night I only had about 20-30 referrals from the IGF site. Kinda sad really.
    -Andrew

16. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

Have always wondered why people don't take more advantage of being in the IGF. You automatically get traffic, but many don't have demos or even a website with information. The latter is a good way to have your game be completely ignored by large numbers of people who could have otherwise become fans and evangelists for your game.

Still, year after year, I see about 1/3 of the entries to the IGF having little or no presence at all on the web. Many of those are never heard from again...which is disheartening.

17. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

And I guess the other side is that if you are enterring the IGF as a marketing ploy it's not a very good one unless you are a finalist. Heck, even several winners, such as the Gish team, have noted that they didn't see much of a sales bump from being in the IGF.

Two sides to every coin...
    ...though I think you should always take advantage of every opportunity you might have ;).

18. woo

woo
    Original Member

Right, I really wasn't expecting huge droves of users really, especially for a "no-name" developer... But between the slashdotting (not main page though) and such going on, I would expect a little more interest. A pinch anyway. Being a finalist is obviously where it's at though.

I also agree with taking full advantage of the opportunity. We definitely need to get our public beta out along with the official site launch ASAP to really get the most out of our entry.
    -Andrew

19. TimS

Original Member

Do not be disheartened! It is quite ok, after all. Some teams may not have a website because they do not care, and if that's the case then there is no harm done when others do not care either.

Some other teams do not have a website because they are working like mad on getting the game itself into better form. This is also ok I suspect, and perhaps you'll see those games again when the marketing push takes place.

Time! We've got no time! If I had a choice about it I'd definitely be one of those other folks with a nice fancy site up and pretty stuff to look at and a demo download all ready to go, but I didn't have the time to do it (yet).

Hell... looks to me like nearly half the submissions have dedicated web-people. I am not so fortunate or monetarily endowed. :(

-T

20. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

Wow does this mean the IGF booth will take up an entire floor this year? I guess a good number will be no-shows.